12/22/2018
6 Story Concrete Chimney. (12x) Rocket Prism AC Gen2 (4x) AP‑5AC‑90‑HD. TDD 10ms + GPS Sync
Used Products
×1
×1
×1
Description

Greetings.  I'm the sr network engineer for an MSP out of the midwest doing our largest PTMP Ubiquiti setup to-date.  We typically operate in the enterprise WiFi space and have extensive experience doing high-capacity WiFi but this will be our first large scale PTMP to-the-home deployment.

This particular project, we're working with a municipality with financial backing from a major software company.  They've enlisted us to do a wireless Internet connection to the home with certain criteria (25/3Mbps) and I've chosen Ubiquiti as the preferred solution for the back-haul and other key aspects of the network.

IMG_0295.JPGChimney Cap + AP-5AC-90-HD

A local metal-fabrication shop made a cap to fit around the chimney top and that's where we mounted our (4) AP‑5AC‑90‑HD's with (12) Rocket Prism AC Gen2s & surge suppression. Because the building and the neighborhood where this resides is historic, we we were not permitted to mount the antennas directly onto the structure.

IMG_0294.JPG

We've got 1 Gbps of fiber internet and a /25 worth of addresses. Utilizing the EdgeRouter Infinity for pushing packets and our own in-house v-router for everything management, we're ready to scale.

IMG_0314.jpgMDF

As part of the access agreement for the tower, we're providing WiFi for the apartments where the chimney resides.  This also has the indirect advantage of being able to more tightly control the 5GHz spectrum in the area directly around the tower. 

IMG_0318.jpgIDF 

IMG_0299.JPGToughcable

We're also providing a Public WiFi network throughout a portion of the district.  We're utilizing Ubiquiti backhaul & Ruckus T310s for client coverage.  

IMG_0303.JPGNanobeam AC Gen2 & Ruckus T310s

It will be spring by the time we have a sizable amount of subscribers on, outside of a small pilot, but I am very enthusiastic about the performance of the gear. I've been labbing the Rocket Prism AC Gen2 extensively with as many Ubiquiti Airmax AC radios I can get my hands on, and the TDD framing & GPS Sync seem to be the real-deal.

I'm a long-time reader, but post very little or not-at-all.  I saw the free-t-shirt campaign and had to get me some of that free-swag.  Unfortunately it seems that ship has sailed recently. Man Sad 

Perhaps someone in the Ubiquiti ranks can find one in the back somewhere and I promise to wear it the next time a competitor rep comes by to say hello.

6 Story Concrete Chimney. (12x) Rocket Prism AC Gen2 (4x) AP‑5AC‑90‑HD. TDD 10ms + GPS Sync

by on ‎12-22-2018 05:49 AM

Greetings.  I'm the sr network engineer for an MSP out of the midwest doing our largest PTMP Ubiquiti setup to-date.  We typically operate in the enterprise WiFi space and have extensive experience doing high-capacity WiFi but this will be our first large scale PTMP to-the-home deployment.

This particular project, we're working with a municipality with financial backing from a major software company.  They've enlisted us to do a wireless Internet connection to the home with certain criteria (25/3Mbps) and I've chosen Ubiquiti as the preferred solution for the back-haul and other key aspects of the network.

IMG_0295.JPGChimney Cap + AP-5AC-90-HD

A local metal-fabrication shop made a cap to fit around the chimney top and that's where we mounted our (4) AP‑5AC‑90‑HD's with (12) Rocket Prism AC Gen2s & surge suppression. Because the building and the neighborhood where this resides is historic, we we were not permitted to mount the antennas directly onto the structure.

IMG_0294.JPG

We've got 1 Gbps of fiber internet and a /25 worth of addresses. Utilizing the EdgeRouter Infinity for pushing packets and our own in-house v-router for everything management, we're ready to scale.

IMG_0314.jpgMDF

As part of the access agreement for the tower, we're providing WiFi for the apartments where the chimney resides.  This also has the indirect advantage of being able to more tightly control the 5GHz spectrum in the area directly around the tower. 

IMG_0318.jpgIDF 

IMG_0299.JPGToughcable

We're also providing a Public WiFi network throughout a portion of the district.  We're utilizing Ubiquiti backhaul & Ruckus T310s for client coverage.  

IMG_0303.JPGNanobeam AC Gen2 & Ruckus T310s

It will be spring by the time we have a sizable amount of subscribers on, outside of a small pilot, but I am very enthusiastic about the performance of the gear. I've been labbing the Rocket Prism AC Gen2 extensively with as many Ubiquiti Airmax AC radios I can get my hands on, and the TDD framing & GPS Sync seem to be the real-deal.

I'm a long-time reader, but post very little or not-at-all.  I saw the free-t-shirt campaign and had to get me some of that free-swag.  Unfortunately it seems that ship has sailed recently. Man Sad 

Perhaps someone in the Ubiquiti ranks can find one in the back somewhere and I promise to wear it the next time a competitor rep comes by to say hello.

{"location":{"title":"318 5th Street, West Des Moines, IA, USA","placeId":"ChIJJ4QQGK-f7ocReu5TW1zLIIw"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"rocket-5ac-prism-gen2","count":1},{"id":"nanobeam-5ac-gen2","count":1},{"id":"litebeam-5ac-gen2","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"186763iE311EE19CB1CF089"}

Comments
by Ubiquiti Employee
on ‎12-22-2018 11:51 AM

Nice setup.

by
on ‎12-22-2018 03:09 PM

Very cool! Great setup! Clean and professional installation. Also the chimeny looks very cool with the blue lights!

by
a month ago

Agree...pro setup all the way. 

by
a month ago

Nice Setup but why didnt you use at the Second Rack a PoE-Switch or PoE  Rack Injector instead of the Original Adapters?

by
a month ago

@FH When I looked at the Rocket Prism Gen2 spec sheet, I overlooked that its still using 2-pair 24v PoE.  I thought it was utilizing 4 pair like AF, because their injectors are both 24v 1a (5xhd), which is how I arrived at the pictured solution.  Oversight on my part in that regards.  Thanks for asking.

by
4 weeks ago

@hoovey316I know such situations well. Then the classic and safe way. Smiley Wink

by
4 weeks ago

Curious as to why you choose the 10ms fixed (vs. 8 or 5) and I'm guessing you are using 75/25?  Is the overall goal better download speeds? Is it working well?

Sweet setup. Very Professional as others have mentioned.

by
4 weeks ago

@Groong 67/33.

While I was labbing the fixed frame I had the most bandwidth concurrency with the 10ms frame @67/33.  My test included (5) CPE devices, all Gen2 against a Rocket Prism Gen2 on a S45. 

With traffic shaping at the CPEs lan ports, and testing with two iperf instances behind each CPE to simulate upload & download, I was able to get all (5) CPEs uploading at 6000kbps while the downloads capped at 26000kbps were evenly distributing against the available download airtime.  (Clients were 20+Mbps download, but not quite the 25000kbps provisioned amount.

The result was around 100-110 Mbps download & ~30Mbps upload conconcurrent against the Rocket Prism.  If I then took my frame size down any, I would start to starve my upload a bit too much and the bandwidth tanked.

This is likely because I was at the theshold of channel capacity with 10ms so any drop in bandwidth had a substantive effect when I didn't have the time to ack those packets quickly enough.  When I tried 75/25 I had to do < 4Mbps to achieve 4 devices concurrently uploading, while still leaving enough upload air-time to not tank the download.

In this application I don't believe the extra increase in latency is going to hurt, but I'm not married to the decision either. We'll see.

Thank you for the compliments.

by
4 weeks ago

Cool. Thanks for the info. I'm currently at 5ms with 67/33.  Trying to keep my client's VOIP connections clear and stable.

In terms of traffic shaping, I was told it's best practice to shape the download from the router (I do this via QOS on each particular VLAN per client) and shape the upload on the CPE.  If you choose to go this route, don't be mistaken by the words.  From the routers point of view under QOS, you set the Upload to your desired limit and leave the download blank. Thus, the UPLOAD (which is coming out of the router) is the clients DOWNLOAD rate.  Maybe you already know this.

Best,

P.

by
3 weeks ago

I like the patch panel. What is the brand name.