10/03/2018
Airmax Backbone for Automatic Gates
Used Products
×1
Description

Airmax Litebeam AC gen 2 used to provide the internet backbone to the entry to this Farm. The gates are a 3g/4g deadspot due to the drop in elevation (located in a valley). The Ubiquiti wireless link is used to provide a wirless access point and network switch direct access to the clients internet connection. This allows connectivety of the following items;

- UHD CCTV camera for vehicle identification using video analytics

- IP Video Intercom for managing guests onto the property via Clients mobile phones

- WiFi Hotspot for clients to use mobile phones at the gate

Overall there is throughput of around 200mbps due to less than ideal line of site (light tree branches) however more than adequete for the clients use (up to 7-10 visitors per day).

IMG_3325.jpgEntry Overall

IMG_3326.jpgIP Video Intercom and Wireless Link

IMG_3328.jpgVideo Intercom Station

IMG_4298.jpgCCTV and wireless link

IMG_4299.jpgGates Closed

Airmax Backbone for Automatic Gates

by on ‎10-03-2018 04:19 AM

Airmax Litebeam AC gen 2 used to provide the internet backbone to the entry to this Farm. The gates are a 3g/4g deadspot due to the drop in elevation (located in a valley). The Ubiquiti wireless link is used to provide a wirless access point and network switch direct access to the clients internet connection. This allows connectivety of the following items;

- UHD CCTV camera for vehicle identification using video analytics

- IP Video Intercom for managing guests onto the property via Clients mobile phones

- WiFi Hotspot for clients to use mobile phones at the gate

Overall there is throughput of around 200mbps due to less than ideal line of site (light tree branches) however more than adequete for the clients use (up to 7-10 visitors per day).

IMG_3325.jpgEntry Overall

IMG_3326.jpgIP Video Intercom and Wireless Link

IMG_3328.jpgVideo Intercom Station

IMG_4298.jpgCCTV and wireless link

IMG_4299.jpgGates Closed

{"location":{"title":"Pakenham VIC, Australia","placeId":"ChIJxUv0xoYb1moRsOCMIXVWBAU"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"litebeam-5ac-gen2","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"177353i25B1D7228ED1259E"}

Comments
by
on ‎10-04-2018 08:27 PM

There is power down at the gate or solar?

by
on ‎10-05-2018 05:26 AM

Be surprised if that doesn't get tampered with and the bushes/trees near it will continue to grow.   Why not mount that litebeam higher up on the tree right next to it or put a 2nd post on the other side of these buses to mount it on?

by
on ‎10-05-2018 04:13 PM

@demonmaestroyes there is 240v on this one. My previous post was done using solar

@scrachaYou have a valid point, however there is a lot not said in the post. The clients have undergone significant landscaping changes since this photo as the location was chosen by them and I highlighted the environmental interference. Up at the residence there is also tree's slightly blocking line of site, these too have been relocated.

The picture also doesnt clearly show the fencing and setback where it is located. This is quite some distance from the main road, in a quite rural area, the camera is also live feed and video analytics - ie, when someone / something approaches the clients are notified. The fencing is also electrified barbed wire - enough to deter the rookies. -- as you can see from my previous posts, I always prefer mounting it as high as practical and on steel posts with protection the whole way to the data cabinet.

by
on ‎10-15-2018 05:33 PM

Hello, 

I'm looking to do a similar project. I have a couple of questions.

First off I run Ubiquiti AP's and Ubiquiti 150W 8 port switch for the house. The gate I want to get a signal to is a straight line of sight,  level ground with no structures or vegetation in the way.  The distance to bridge is 900 feet.

The gate power is a 12V or 24V system that is solar panel feed to keep battery's up.  I am looking at a Nano station or a Nanobeam.  I will power on PoE at the house and I will power the gate one off the battery supply. 

The "BFT WIFI Video Pro II Intercom Kit With Keypad - Pedestal Mount - WIFI-BFT-KPADII" requires 24V DC power. the controller board has a connection spot for an RJ45 or wire punch down.  The gate controller states it runs off of 802.11 2.4ghz WIFI B/G/N, it will not work on "A" or "S" as they are 5G. 

Does my set up sound correct?

Am I missing anything?

What would be preferred nano station or nanobeam? and what model?

Thank you 

Scott

by
on ‎10-16-2018 03:35 PM

Hi Scott,

I would recommend beefing up the solar input (panel) if you plan to run the wireless PTP, Video Intercom and gate controller as the peaks of thier current draws may be more than it can supply + charge the battery at the same time (remember you need +2/3v to increase charge in a battery). If you see my other story where run the wireless link and 2x cameras along with a router, the solar panel is a 36v 260w inverted to 12v (3x amp input +/-) with 2x 55ah deep cycle batteries. The inverter i used was a victron 75/15 MPPT with battery conditioning charging algorithm inbuilt, configured over bluetooth dongle.

You may also need to look at running a switch (could even go un-managed) and some way of producing the WIFI signal at the gate for the gate controller/intercom to connect to (outdoor AP?)

I have unfortunately not experienced using a nano-station, however I would assume that a directional PTP such as the Nanobeam (obviosuly this project used litebeam) would be more benfecial and less susceptable to interference over time (changing environments and what not).

Have you drawn a wiring circuit and network diagram (i suggest documenting cable length and type for later reference on the network diagram)

Hope that helps Man Happy there is plenty of guys on here that would have more experience than myself, especially in answering your question about the nanostation.

- Dwire

by
on ‎10-22-2018 11:49 PM

If it's very rural then at 900ft you'll be unlikely to get interference and you'll probably have to set the power to -4dBm even with something low gain like a nanostation.  POE passthrough will save you having to use an outdoor switch or enclosure. 

It's not clear if you can use the RJ45 port at the gate instead of WiFi but if not, you could plug in a small 2.4GHz AP (nanostation loco M2) in the passthrough port.  Ensure you use regulated 18-24V DC power (such as tycon power).  If you get above 25V then the magic smoke comes out :-)  

Solar and batteries required vary immensely depending on your location so I can't really advise on that.  Bank on about 3W per UBNT radio at that range.  You'll want a low voltage disconnect if your solar controller doesn't support it...that way it won't trash the batteries if there's a fault with your charging system.

by
on ‎10-23-2018 07:38 AM

fullsizeoutput_1bcf.jpegThis is what I have in mind for the gate. This is the gate controller board. The CAT6 line would be approx 25-30 feet long between Nanobeam or Nanostation ant the control board. Splitting two of the Cat6 line wires off to connect to the power in, to power the Ubiquiti device.  

by
Friday

Great Setup.. I'm looking to do the same for my family here in South Africa.   Any more info you can give on the video analytics/License plate recognition. I've just started searchign around and would love some pointers.. software you used?

Thanks!!