08/31/2018
Bringing Internet to an outlying alpine hut
Used Products
×4
Description

Hi!

We are a small IT-Company from Germany and we just finished our second (first documented) Ubiquiti-Project in Austria/Tirol!

A month ago, we went to Austria to get Internet to an isolated alpine hut.

There is no connection to the public electricity grid / water-system, no mobile network coverage and, of course, no internet..

The operator had to get electricity on his own, and build a mini-hydroelectric power station plus a diesel generator, so why not bring the internet on his own, too?

This is where we come into play.

Beeline 8.x km (5 Miles) is a ski lift, operated by colleagues of the alpine hut-operator.

The plan was to set up an LTE-Router in a small shelter (already there) at the ski-lift, to carry the signal via 4 PBE-5AC-Gen2 to the alpine hut.

From the ski-lift, you cannot see the alpine hut directly, but you can see a small meadow, ca. 250m (820 ft) from the alpine hut,
so we planed to use the meadow as a turning point to get to the alpine hut.

The meadow is absolutely off from any electricity, so the operator of the alpine hut just layed a 250m power cable to the spot..

We got:

• LTE-Router plus SIM-Card
  • Raspberry Pi-3 (Linked to the LTE-Router to get a remote-session via TeamViewer for maintenence purposes)
  • 4x PowerBeam 5AC Gen2
  • 4x Ethernet Surge Protector (ETH‑SP‑G2)
  • 3x UAP-PRO

This is a screenshot of the setup from link.ubnt.com

You can see the long (8km) line and the short (250m)

121212.PNG

First: LTE-Router at the ski-lift

First PowerBeam is behind the Window

router.JPG

First PBE

Pointing to the meadow.

r1.JPG

Mind the broken ladder.. it was a dangerous install Smash

r111.JPG

r11.JPG

View to the meadow, from the first antenna.

Here I am standing right under the first antenna.

r1_viewto2.JPGr1_viewto222.JPG

r1_viewto22.JPG

Maedow / turning point

You see the second Antenna in the front and the first antenna far away. (ski lift / red spot)

r23_viewto1.jpeg

Our electrician at the turning point / Antenna 2 and 3

oo.jpeg

oo_23.jpeg

Our electrician at the turning point / View to the alpine hut and the final antenna 4

r23_viewto4.jpeg

Final antenna / Alpine hut

Pointing to the meadow.

r44.JPGr4.JPG

Here I am standing right under the final antenna.

You can see the turning point, marked red.

btw, look at my shiny car

r4_viewto3.JPG

The alpine hut

On the left, you can see the turning point

gasthof_viewto3.JPG

Screenshot of the first air link. (ski-lift to turning point)

fast and stable!

d1.PNG

Screenshot of the second air link. (turning point to alpine hut)

fast and stable!

d2.PNG

After we recieved a nice and stable signal at the alpine hut, we installed 3x UAP-AP-PRO with Guest-Portal to cover all three floors of the building. The customer was very pleased with this brand new Ubiquiti WiFi-Setup.

It was a nice and clean installation, and we are looking forward to upcoming projects with Ubi!

Bringing Internet to an outlying alpine hut

by ‎08-31-2018 04:23 AM - edited ‎08-31-2018 05:55 AM

Hi!

We are a small IT-Company from Germany and we just finished our second (first documented) Ubiquiti-Project in Austria/Tirol!

A month ago, we went to Austria to get Internet to an isolated alpine hut.

There is no connection to the public electricity grid / water-system, no mobile network coverage and, of course, no internet..

The operator had to get electricity on his own, and build a mini-hydroelectric power station plus a diesel generator, so why not bring the internet on his own, too?

This is where we come into play.

Beeline 8.x km (5 Miles) is a ski lift, operated by colleagues of the alpine hut-operator.

The plan was to set up an LTE-Router in a small shelter (already there) at the ski-lift, to carry the signal via 4 PBE-5AC-Gen2 to the alpine hut.

From the ski-lift, you cannot see the alpine hut directly, but you can see a small meadow, ca. 250m (820 ft) from the alpine hut,
so we planed to use the meadow as a turning point to get to the alpine hut.

The meadow is absolutely off from any electricity, so the operator of the alpine hut just layed a 250m power cable to the spot..

We got:

• LTE-Router plus SIM-Card
  • Raspberry Pi-3 (Linked to the LTE-Router to get a remote-session via TeamViewer for maintenence purposes)
  • 4x PowerBeam 5AC Gen2
  • 4x Ethernet Surge Protector (ETH‑SP‑G2)
  • 3x UAP-PRO

This is a screenshot of the setup from link.ubnt.com

You can see the long (8km) line and the short (250m)

121212.PNG

First: LTE-Router at the ski-lift

First PowerBeam is behind the Window

router.JPG

First PBE

Pointing to the meadow.

r1.JPG

Mind the broken ladder.. it was a dangerous install Smash

r111.JPG

r11.JPG

View to the meadow, from the first antenna.

Here I am standing right under the first antenna.

r1_viewto2.JPGr1_viewto222.JPG

r1_viewto22.JPG

Maedow / turning point

You see the second Antenna in the front and the first antenna far away. (ski lift / red spot)

r23_viewto1.jpeg

Our electrician at the turning point / Antenna 2 and 3

oo.jpeg

oo_23.jpeg

Our electrician at the turning point / View to the alpine hut and the final antenna 4

r23_viewto4.jpeg

Pointing to the meadow.

r44.JPGr4.JPG

Here I am standing right under the final antenna.

You can see the turning point, marked red.

btw, look at my shiny car

r4_viewto3.JPG

The alpine hut

On the left, you can see the turning point

gasthof_viewto3.JPG

Screenshot of the first air link. (ski-lift to turning point)

fast and stable!

d1.PNG

Screenshot of the second air link. (turning point to alpine hut)

fast and stable!

d2.PNG

After we recieved a nice and stable signal at the alpine hut, we installed 3x UAP-AP-PRO with Guest-Portal to cover all three floors of the building. The customer was very pleased with this brand new Ubiquiti WiFi-Setup.

It was a nice and clean installation, and we are looking forward to upcoming projects with Ubi!

{"location":{"title":"Bach, Österreich","placeId":"ChIJvxl5aGu-nEcR9fHiM0Or3BU"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"powerbeam-5ac-gen2","count":4}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"172716i9D0D97AF1B3F9633"}

Comments
by
on ‎09-05-2018 08:49 AM

How do you protect the turning point Antenna against snow? 

by
on ‎09-06-2018 01:32 AM

Hi !

Sadly, it is not protected against snow.

The two antennas are only 1.5meter above ground, and it can be very snowy in that area. (1 meter in 24h is not uncommon)

The electical parts are covered in cases, but when the dishes are coverd in snow, the link will be down.

This is a potential problem that could not be solved yet.

The alpine hut operator said, he will then drive by ATV to the spot to clear the snow from the dishes.

His second solution was, to just let it be: "internet at the alpine hut is prue luxury and there is nothing you can do, when nature dont want you to have internet" Rofl

..he is right.

by
‎09-08-2018 04:36 PM - edited ‎09-08-2018 04:38 PM

Nice job, what powers the intermediate repeater site?

EDIT: Oh I just read the part about the 250m power cable, why not bury a pre-terminated fibre with the power cable? ;-)

Dan

by
on ‎09-11-2018 07:15 AM

@UITSys => as mentioned, why not using fiber ?

But, I'm wondering if the 1.5 meters tall pole could not be higher ? 
THe current 1.5m is not only short for snow, but as we can see, the first link over more than 8km is not subject to fresnel effect, when the one, last 275m is, and you can see the first link at 400 Mbps, when the short one is "only" 300 Mbps, when it could be maybe at least equivalent.

So, why not going for higher pole ? It could be esthetic sure ;-) or regulation maybe, just to know

by
on ‎09-14-2018 11:29 AM

This is awesome! Makes me want to visit them next time I'm in Austria in the winter. What's the name of the place? 

I suppose, while the height of the pole could be increased to avoid the snow, but really, when the internet goes down - that's what they make schnapps for!

by
on ‎09-20-2018 12:38 AM

Looks like your EIRP is set to 49dBm here.

Isn't Austria regulated like other countries in the EU at 30dBm for 5Ghz ?

by
on ‎09-21-2018 01:21 PM

Hello,

in Austria only 30 dbm eirp allowed!

Also only 5500-5700 allowed for Outdoor use!

Please don‘t use a 80 MHz Channel on a Link like this.

20MHz would be better because on the LTE you will not get more than 50 MBit in real.

Maybe you need bigger Dishes (620) for the long link to make it legal!

Why not use a fibercable instead the second link ?

Regards,

Christoph

by
on ‎09-24-2018 12:39 PM

I would have definitely found a way to mount higher, they will regret it come winter when they need it and it is totally unusable.

by
on ‎09-24-2018 11:45 PM
The power cable is not buried!
The operator layed the cable through the forest, clipped at the trees with "split pipe clamps", all the way to the repeater site.
Dont judge us for that Man Very Happy

Sorry, I realy dont know!
We mentioned that a higher pole would overcome something bad (snow, vandalism?) but the operator was responsible for the "mounting"-part, so we had no influence here.
As he mentioned,

Hi! The Name is "BERGGASTHAUS HERMINE", visit it! (Pleas enot by car, rent a bike..)

But it has closing times during winter..

This is why the low mounted antenna and snow and not THAT bad - no one will be there anymore from 29.09.2018!

"that's what they make schnapps for" ->  Iagree

The sc was taken while we were in testing. The actual values apply the the EIRP.

right now, i do not have access to the config...

@We would have liked to see a bigger pole, too.
But they are closed in winter (from 29.09.2018 - spring)

In winter, the link will become unusable, but thats part of the design.

by
on ‎09-24-2018 11:53 PM

@UITSys => really nice place. It's a great project, andwith internet now, I can see myself spending a week at "home office" there working from the terrase with a nice lunch ! great job again