04/07/2018
Designing, testing, and deploying a remote internet network to Nepal using Ubiquiti hardware
Reason for Installation
Design, assembly, and testing of a remote internet system for Nepal.
Used Products
×1
×1
×1
×1
×1
×1
2232 Northwest Irving Street, Portland, OR, USA
Description

We are deploying an internet system to a remote area of nepal covering roughly 600 square kilometers.  There is no phone service here and no internet.  Our group, HealthAndEducation4Nepal has built a medical clinic, school, and water supply system in the remote village of Kumari.  It was all completely destroyed in the recent earthquake and the organization provided the funds to rebuild it all which has just been done.  We now want to provide internet service to improve education and health services.  This video is about the initial design, assembly, and full testing of the network in my basement before taking it to Nepal next week.  The second video in a few weeks will (hopefully) show the successful installation and use of the system.

Here is a YouTube video:

https://youtu.be/niq2E6zvdVc

In the photos below you see snapshots from the basement setup and images from Nepal of the villagers there building the towers needed for reaching their remote area from Kathmandu.  

I will be going over there next week and working with them to get all the gear installed,  An amazing adventure, but only possible with help from the Ubiquiti community.  In particular I want to thank Dan Denson who designed the network and selected the gear.  I also want to thank Chris Wescott who has been of invaluable help in helping me through problems I was having setting up the 18 radios, two switches, and router used in the network.  Thanks also to Rick Lindall an Tyler Barr with Invictus Wireless who gave us a great discount on the gear and invaluable help in configuring radios.  

Comments and feedback are appreciated!

BasementLayout.jpgKumariNetwork5.jpg

TrafficAnalysis.jpg

KidsHelpingWithTower.jpg

FinishedSworaTower.jpg

NagarjunTower.jpg

Designing, testing, and deploying a remote internet network to Nepal using Ubiquiti hardware

by on ‎04-07-2018 08:45 PM

We are deploying an internet system to a remote area of nepal covering roughly 600 square kilometers.  There is no phone service here and no internet.  Our group, HealthAndEducation4Nepal has built a medical clinic, school, and water supply system in the remote village of Kumari.  It was all completely destroyed in the recent earthquake and the organization provided the funds to rebuild it all which has just been done.  We now want to provide internet service to improve education and health services.  This video is about the initial design, assembly, and full testing of the network in my basement before taking it to Nepal next week.  The second video in a few weeks will (hopefully) show the successful installation and use of the system.

Here is a YouTube video:

https://youtu.be/niq2E6zvdVc

In the photos below you see snapshots from the basement setup and images from Nepal of the villagers there building the towers needed for reaching their remote area from Kathmandu.  

I will be going over there next week and working with them to get all the gear installed,  An amazing adventure, but only possible with help from the Ubiquiti community.  In particular I want to thank Dan Denson who designed the network and selected the gear.  I also want to thank Chris Wescott who has been of invaluable help in helping me through problems I was having setting up the 18 radios, two switches, and router used in the network.  Thanks also to Rick Lindall an Tyler Barr with Invictus Wireless who gave us a great discount on the gear and invaluable help in configuring radios.  

Comments and feedback are appreciated!

BasementLayout.jpgKumariNetwork5.jpg

TrafficAnalysis.jpg

KidsHelpingWithTower.jpg

FinishedSworaTower.jpg

NagarjunTower.jpg

{"location":{"title":"2232 Northwest Irving Street, Portland, OR, USA","placeId":"ChIJq8T53PAJlVQR3IbLJednngk"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"5ghz-rocketdish-30dbi-rocket-kit","count":1},{"id":"2-4ghz-airmax-basestation-variable-60-120-titanium","count":1},{"id":"litebeam-5ac-gen2","count":1},{"id":"2-4-ghz-nanobeam-ac-13-dbi","count":1},{"id":"powerbeam-5ac-gen2","count":1},{"id":"prismstation-5ac","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"Design, assembly, and testing of a remote internet system for Nepal.","mainImage":"151396iF66DFD0028B53E0F"}

Comments
by
on ‎04-08-2018 10:49 AM

@elteejay! This is awesome! I really hope this goes well for the remote villages! My only question is, do those remote villages use 120volt US power plugs? How is all of this going the be powered? Are there battery backups or solar panels ready to keep it running? 

Great video on the whole setup! I am really looking forward to seeing the completed video and hopefully some pictures about the setup and how its designed on the software side. I bet this was a lot of fun so far!

by
on ‎04-08-2018 12:30 PM

Hey verisarioc!  Thanks for the complement and feedback.

Most locations have intermittent AC power.  At all locations we have 24V battery backup systems so all radios and switches are being powered directly from 24V systems.  The router in Kathmandu will be plugged into the ISP power.  We will have a Unifi Switch and two Unifi AccessPoints in the medical clinic and school which will operate off of the local AC which is 240V.  Ubiquiti gear seems to take either 120 or 240 V..  Our backup power systems are designed solely to keep the radios up and running.  

Hopefully I can send at least photos back from Nepal as we make progress.  The schedule is a bit crazy.  We arrive and begin installing on April 12th and need to finish by April 21st.  Thus the need for preconfiguring the system as much as possible.  Hopefully the weather gods bless us with decent weather as most of the "roads" are just jeep trails. 

by
on ‎04-08-2018 02:01 PM

I'm glad you have that all figured out as well! I figured you would, I just didn't here any talk about it. It sounds like you had some great help from the community like you said. I completely understand if you can't update things while there. Although, you shouldn't have an excuse of no internet connection after a couple days of working out there! Man Happy Good luck with your endevour and trip!

by
on ‎04-08-2018 02:40 PM

So I've finished packing up all the gear:  5 RocketPrism radios, 4 RocketDish antennae, 2 ERX routers, 1 EP-R6 Switch, 1 EdgeSwitch8, 4 NanoBeams, 3 PrismStations, 2 90-degree PrismStation antennae, 9 LiteBeams, 8 battery chargers, 2 solar controllers, 20 Surge Protectors, 12 Tycon PoE adapters.  Our friends in Nepal are providing and have installed 12 12V 150 Ah batteries, 3 250W solar panels, 2 outdoor enclosures, and 5 indoor enclosures not to mention the two towers. 

The amazing thing is the gear we are packing fits into the four checked bags we are taking, each just about 45 pounds:

PackedGear.jpg

Hopefully everything will make it safely and tariff-free through China and into Nepal.  .  

by
on ‎04-08-2018 09:44 PM

I am extremely fortunate to have been able to work Tom and guide him through the setup.

Interconnecting schools, pharmacies and other health facilities in this remote area to provide a higher standard of care and education is only possible because of Ubiquiti and their products.

One thing Tom didn’t show in the video are 2 unifi UAP-AC-LR’s and an Unifi US-8-60w that will be used to provide wifi in the school and clinic. I  have them adopted into our cloud controller hosted here in Canada. I am eager to see them pop up as “connected”.

Cheers, wishing you best of luck on the travels. 

Chris Wescott

by Ubiquiti Employee
on ‎04-09-2018 10:08 AM

This is great @elteejay.  Please keep us up to date on how everything goes.

by
on ‎04-09-2018 04:54 PM

Fantastic initiative. Will be watching. M

by Ubiquiti Employee
on ‎04-10-2018 08:38 AM

Very cool! Well done and glad we can help.

by
on ‎04-12-2018 03:11 AM

As a part of NGO, which is also working in Nepal, but uses Ubiquity only as office equipment, I gotta say this is pretty awesome.

by
on ‎04-12-2018 02:11 PM

Wow, great initiative. Hope it goes well as its a tough schedule.

Would love to help out, but alas I'm in the UK :-)

Good luck!