10/09/2018
Experience with Airmax & UNifi & Rocket M2 & Rocket M5
Used Products
×1
Description

I have a 5km link using PBE-5AC-Gen2 that has been stable since the day I put it up about 7weeks ago.

Using 40Mhz channel width getting 200mb/s TCP one way. Tested it for a week stress testing at 120mb dl and 30mb upload TCP. During the test the packet loss was negligable. Now this is the main production link feeding 1 leg of my network.No problems so far outside of lack of proper DFS frequencies

2 UNifi basic configurations.PNG

UNifi basic configurations.PNG

Also using Rocket M2 and Rocket M5 that has been stable since the day I put it up about 2years ago.

After much deliberation, we came up with 2 options.

1. Overbuild with Baicells and try to attempt the same shots with 3.65 LTE from the same towers

or

2. Build the towns out with micropops with Ubiquiti AC gear (A process dubbed the "Galactus" method)

Both options required a "rip and replace" procedure.

We decided to attempt option 2 in a smaller town of ~100 passings, and boy I am glad we did!

Initial Deployment

Step 1: Find suitable rooftop for testing - check

With this house we only need 180 degree coverage, and it sits higher than the rest of the houses... Easy test scenario. Pictured, AF-30dBi-S45+Isobeam and 2x Prism AP-5-90's that I snagged from the betastore. Prism AP's are 40mhz cw

The 2' dish here will be smaller on all other hops, the first backhaul is going like 5 miles, but the smaller hops will be much less obtrusive. I'm thinking Prismstations+30degree horns possibly. Once we outgrow that we can dig into mmwave.

(Apologies for mobile viewers, pictures are a bit small)

Customer was not using their tripod so we got to save a few bucks there.

UNifi.PNG

Antenna Performance

The AP-5-90's are amazing little beasts. We found the sidelobe rejection to be amazingly sharp for such a small antenna. The campground just south of our deployment has an Outdoor AC Unifi on a mast.

Our South facing AP-90 picks it up at -64 signal at about 900 feet away. The west AP-90 does not register the AP whatsoever. You can really count on these guys to only pick up the signal you want it to. No messy patterns or sidelobes. This is extremely important when a rogue 80mhz cw SOHO router can jump on your channel, we need to limit exposure to noise wherever possible.

The AP-5-90's shall be my antenna of choice for future Gigapop deployments. We have nicknamed them the "Honey Badger" because you put them in the air and they just dont care (about off axis SOHO routers)

wifi UNifi.PNG

0 Kudos

Experience with Airmax & UNifi & Rocket M2 & Rocket M5

by on ‎10-09-2018 04:17 AM

I have a 5km link using PBE-5AC-Gen2 that has been stable since the day I put it up about 7weeks ago.

Using 40Mhz channel width getting 200mb/s TCP one way. Tested it for a week stress testing at 120mb dl and 30mb upload TCP. During the test the packet loss was negligable. Now this is the main production link feeding 1 leg of my network.No problems so far outside of lack of proper DFS frequencies

2 UNifi basic configurations.PNG

UNifi basic configurations.PNG

Also using Rocket M2 and Rocket M5 that has been stable since the day I put it up about 2years ago.

After much deliberation, we came up with 2 options.

1. Overbuild with Baicells and try to attempt the same shots with 3.65 LTE from the same towers

or

2. Build the towns out with micropops with Ubiquiti AC gear (A process dubbed the "Galactus" method)

Both options required a "rip and replace" procedure.

We decided to attempt option 2 in a smaller town of ~100 passings, and boy I am glad we did!

Initial Deployment

Step 1: Find suitable rooftop for testing - check

With this house we only need 180 degree coverage, and it sits higher than the rest of the houses... Easy test scenario. Pictured, AF-30dBi-S45+Isobeam and 2x Prism AP-5-90's that I snagged from the betastore. Prism AP's are 40mhz cw

The 2' dish here will be smaller on all other hops, the first backhaul is going like 5 miles, but the smaller hops will be much less obtrusive. I'm thinking Prismstations+30degree horns possibly. Once we outgrow that we can dig into mmwave.

(Apologies for mobile viewers, pictures are a bit small)

Customer was not using their tripod so we got to save a few bucks there.

UNifi.PNG

Antenna Performance

The AP-5-90's are amazing little beasts. We found the sidelobe rejection to be amazingly sharp for such a small antenna. The campground just south of our deployment has an Outdoor AC Unifi on a mast.

Our South facing AP-90 picks it up at -64 signal at about 900 feet away. The west AP-90 does not register the AP whatsoever. You can really count on these guys to only pick up the signal you want it to. No messy patterns or sidelobes. This is extremely important when a rogue 80mhz cw SOHO router can jump on your channel, we need to limit exposure to noise wherever possible.

The AP-5-90's shall be my antenna of choice for future Gigapop deployments. We have nicknamed them the "Honey Badger" because you put them in the air and they just dont care (about off axis SOHO routers)

wifi UNifi.PNG

{"location":{"title":"Lahore, Pakistan","placeId":"ChIJ2QeB5YMEGTkRYiR-zGy-OsI"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"ucrm","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"178137i77692C61E91D80D6"}

Comments
by Ubiquiti Employee
on ‎10-09-2018 10:32 AM

Are these the right pictures?