Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Gen 2 GPS Sync with airFiber 5x

by ‎05-17-2017 11:45 AM - edited ‎05-20-2017 12:12 AM

Here is an exciting story about a deployment that uses both airFiber and Rocket PRISM.

From our office building which is our main distribution, we’ve used GPS sync between our two airFiber AF-3X links and also between our many AF-5X links with great success. I even wrote a story about it when they were new.

The other night, using pre-beta developmental GPS sync code for AC hardware, I was able to synchronize a Gen 1 Rocket PRISM servicing a 50/20 SLA client 14 miles out with two existing airFiber AF-5X links, one 3.2 miles away and the other 11.77 miles away, by using a 5-ms frame size, 67/33 duty cycle, and the same frequencies. Previously, this customer alone had used up 20 MHz of the lower end of the UNII-3 band, but with fixed frame PtMP mode and working GPS synchronization, I was able to see much improved numbers from this client, as shown in the airOS dashboard below. I plan to replace this Gen 1 AP with Gen 2 hardware when I get my hands on more. Although Gen 1 works great, it seems like Gen 2 just works that much better in high-noise environments, which we deal with everywhere in the valley.

gen1_prism_synced_2_airfiber5x.png

Tony Pierro
CTO - Wireless Internet Services, Inc.
Comments
by
on ‎05-17-2017 05:07 PM

100 Km it's a lot of distance Smiley Tongue

by
on ‎05-19-2017 03:18 AM

@WisTech "GPS sync between our two airFiber AF-3X links and our many AF-5X links" What is the point of GPS syncing 3.5 GHz equipment with 5 GHz equipment ?

by
on ‎05-19-2017 04:10 AM
Could make more sense if you put it like this:
"GPS sync, between our two airFiber AF-3X links,
and [also between] our many AF-5X links"
by
on ‎05-20-2017 12:12 AM

@jjonsson - I'm referring to utilizing GPS synchronization for those existing links/products, so I've always been in the habit of frequency re-use, and this option with AC to be able to frequency re-use with 5x units is just as important in my opinion.

by
on ‎05-20-2017 12:12 AM

Edited for clarification.  

by
on ‎05-24-2017 11:45 AM

why up speeds are always higher than download speeds?

on all my devices this is a fact

by
on ‎05-27-2017 05:01 PM

@Cerber - In Fixed frame, we shift traffic heavily towards the customer intentionally because people are download-aholics, and rarely use upload.  We want to utilize as much available frame time to accommodate the download speeds customers demand in today's market.