Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

2 weeks ago
Isostation 5AC 1500 metre link
Reason for Installation
It eliminated the need for a second Internet connection.
Used Products
Number of Devices and Application

2 Isostation 5AC linking 2 properties.

Description

This relates to an Isostation not a Nanobeam as shown above, Isostation is not in the drop down list above.

Probably not a perfect line of site connection. 1500 metres per google.

With the standard horn antenna it gave a mostly stable connection at 5 to 10 Mbs.

Upgrading one of the horns to the PrismAP 30 degree, doubled the throughput and seems to now give it a stable connection.

I am now waiting for the second PrismAP 30 to arrive.Screenshot 2017-11-11 18.31.40.png

2017-11-11 18.38.35.jpg

2017-11-11 18.38.05.jpg

2017-11-11 12.44.12.jpg

Comments
by
2 weeks ago

Not much margin on that signal.  Can you use 2.4Ghz?  You might be able to improve the link quite a bit using 2.4Ghz if you don't have a clear line of site.

by
2 weeks ago

I should have used 2.4Ghz, but I was led astray at the last moment, despite common sense being that I should have used a lower frequency. 

It was a one off experiment and I am unlikely to change frequency due to cost of replacing it all. It does at least meet my needs and it may improve a little once I upgrade the 2nd horn antenna.

It is a shame I did not find this forum before I started purchasing equipment.

by
2 weeks ago

Yikes. I was planning a similar distance link with similar equipment.

When you say it's not a perfect line of sight, do you mean trees? Elevation wise there is no issues?

-Jamie M.

by
2 weeks ago

Elevation profiles seem okay, per google maps and https://airlink.ubnt.com/#/ptp

There is a row of tall gumtrees about halfway. And the station at one end points through a narrow gap between trees.

I can not make out the target from either end, and I had to use google maps to figure out what nearby objects to point at that would help me line up with the target.

I'm not dissapointed with the result. I was never too optimistic as there is no obvious line of sight.

I was chasing 2.4gig, but I ran it by the seller, and he indicated he had good feedback about the isostations so I gave them ago. I also figured there would be less risk of interference crossing a suburban area at 5g, as most cheap household wifi is using 2.4g.

With the standard Isostation antennas I had a usable 5Mbs connection but it dropped out regularly (lasting between 5 min and 5 hour intervals), still good enough for my needs, but I was curious to see how much better I could make it. Interestingly the connection improved with light rain.

An interesting point that would have been good to know up front is that the standard horns are cheap plastic, and the optional ones you can buy are larger and cast aluminium.

Upgrading the station that was pointing through the narrow gap in the trees to a 30 degree horn gave me a stable10 to 20 Mbs link. By stable, I mean it has been 2 days no drop outs so far. When the supplier gets more 30 degree horns in stock I will upgrade the other end, and perhaps the margin will then pass scrutiny.

Given I was replacing a 3g internet connection, a stable 10 to 20 Mbs is already a better outcome, with no ongoing cost.

by
2 weeks ago

Thanks for the very detailed reply! Good to know about the plastic horns on the stock isostation's! I'll be sure to order the upgraded 30 degree one when I order.

For my PtP link I'm thinking of IsoStation 30 degree for one side (for interference rejection) then a LBE‑5AC‑23 for the other side (no interference there), should provide MUCH better speed than using two IsoStation's. 

Thanks again for the detailed info.

-Jamie M.

by
a week ago

Thanks for the informative post.  Looks like you might need some guy ropes on your masts before any good winds come around.