3 weeks ago
Loaded mixed mode sector? Fixed Frame and 8.5.1 is for you!
Reason for Installation
Titanium Sector with 28 clients, mixture of AC and "N" experienced a stability and speed boost after upgrading to 8.5.1 at the AP, and 6.1.6 at the CPE
Used Products
×1
×1
Description

We have a tower that was on 8.4.3 running mixed flex mode to various XM,XW,and XC clients. 28 Clients, some with very poor signal as you will see in my AC2 screenshot below. We were running into some VoIP issues now that the sectors were getting saturated in flex mode with the weak signal clients utilizing a heavy amount of airtime. We were struggling to get above 30-35mbps on most nights with the weak signal clients.

I decied to trial the 8.5.1/6.1.6 firmware with GPS sync/Fixed Frame mode at 67/33 8ms. The first night after the upgrade, there was a dramatic change in the quality of our customers VoIP calls. Everything magically started working perfectly, and our sector pushed 50Mbps the first night after the upgrade!

Here is a 1month shot of the sectors traffic so you can see a longterm view of our ceiling we kept hitting.

Traffic 1 month.PNG

Here is the AC2 shot zoomed in to about an hour... 28 clients mostly XM/XW passing 50mbps at peak now! Even with a handful at weak signal/modulation rates.

Traffic 1 hour.PNG

VoIP scores from our SAS server are now perfect, 0 packet loss and 2ms of jitter or less. Customers were called back and are extremely happy with the way the first night after the upgrade went.

If you have a mixed mode environment I HIGHLY suggest upgrading to the newest firmware and turning on GPS sync, I am rolling it out across my network immediately and have been blown away by the results.

Here are some shots of our tower. We will likely be upgrading to 45's to split the load up even further and get us ready for future demands.

20170222_174939.jpg

20170222_175025.jpg

Kudos to the Airmax team, mixed mode has come a long ways since 8.0 Man Happy 

Loaded mixed mode sector? Fixed Frame and 8.5.1 is for you!

by 3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

We have a tower that was on 8.4.3 running mixed flex mode to various XM,XW,and XC clients. 28 Clients, some with very poor signal as you will see in my AC2 screenshot below. We were running into some VoIP issues now that the sectors were getting saturated in flex mode with the weak signal clients utilizing a heavy amount of airtime. We were struggling to get above 30-35mbps on most nights with the weak signal clients.

I decied to trial the 8.5.1/6.1.6 firmware with GPS sync/Fixed Frame mode at 67/33 8ms. The first night after the upgrade, there was a dramatic change in the quality of our customers VoIP calls. Everything magically started working perfectly, and our sector pushed 50Mbps the first night after the upgrade!

Here is a 1month shot of the sectors traffic so you can see a longterm view of our ceiling we kept hitting.

Traffic 1 month.PNG

Here is the AC2 shot zoomed in to about an hour... 28 clients mostly XM/XW passing 50mbps at peak now! Even with a handful at weak signal/modulation rates.

Traffic 1 hour.PNG

VoIP scores from our SAS server are now perfect, 0 packet loss and 2ms of jitter or less. Customers were called back and are extremely happy with the way the first night after the upgrade went.

If you have a mixed mode environment I HIGHLY suggest upgrading to the newest firmware and turning on GPS sync, I am rolling it out across my network immediately and have been blown away by the results.

Here are some shots of our tower. We will likely be upgrading to 45's to split the load up even further and get us ready for future demands.

20170222_174939.jpg

20170222_175025.jpg

Kudos to the Airmax team, mixed mode has come a long ways since 8.0 Man Happy 

{"location":{"title":"Minnesota, USA","placeId":"ChIJmwt4YJpbWE0RD6L-EJvJogI"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"rocket-5ac-prism-gen2","count":1},{"id":"5ghz-airmax-basestation-variable-60-120-titanium","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"Titanium Sector with 28 clients, mixture of AC and \"N\" experienced a stability and speed boost after upgrading to 8.5.1 at the AP, and 6.1.6 at the CPE","mainImage":"149787iE749D10A21847FC3"}

Comments
by
3 weeks ago

I did some testing also and  I saw a + 15 ms of latency of each CPE

by
3 weeks ago

@tech53 Correct, this is expected by design with GPS sync. You have higher latency, but also gain stability and better scalability with it as well.

Nobody is going to miss 15ms of latency when they gain higher quality links with less jitter Man Happy 

by
3 weeks ago

On 8 ms FF how much more latency you get ?

by
3 weeks ago

@tech53

Here is some good information on what to expect from GPS sync.: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009254808-airMAX-GPS-Sync-FAQ

With 8ms i'm around 20ms latency, which is still very very low.

by
3 weeks ago

Thanks for sharing!  Great story, and glad it's working out well for you!

by
3 weeks ago

OT, but what is commonly done when you have one or two customers loated on the back side of that sector array? Install an omni, another sector, etc?

by
3 weeks ago

@cdavis  the back side of the sector array has 3 more 60 degree antennas so I have full 360 degree coverage. I split the cluster mount up for ease of mounting.

I generally try to avoid mixing sectors and omnis at sites, its usually one or the other except for a few remote cases.

by
3 weeks ago

Hi!

Zou have very very bad signal for you customers. 

Transmission is good if you have signal ~+/- 60db

by
3 weeks ago

@matszosa you are correct, but as we work to get them all corrected, Fixed Frame mode has greatly reduced their penalty on the sector and still allows us to get 50mbps traffic through the sector to keep everyone else happy until we can fix them. Thats part of the point of the story Man Happy 

by
3 weeks ago

Thank you for explanation. This software resolved problem with bad signal. i'm wondering whetther a client with bad signal does not lower efficiency, how it works?