Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

10/10/2017
NBAC Gen2 Installation for Backup Link
Description

Quick back story - My employer recently constructed a new building for VIPs, meeting space, et cetera. Our primary circuit is a 1GBe MPLS connection. Typically our backup connection is a business class internet link with a local provider in the 100mbps range. Fast forward a couple of months and the cable company just can't seem to get their act together and deliver the circuit. So, in the mean time, Ubiquiti to the rescue. In less time than it's taken the cable provider to deliver the circuit we were able to spec out, configure, and install a roughly half mile PtP link with NBAC-Gen2s to a nearby site. Our Cisco routers do the lifting for failover in this implementation, but the Ubiquiti NanoBeams provide the performance we need. 

Here's a couple of quick shots of the installation and performance. Unfortunately, the mounting locations were non-negotiable.

Configuration

UBNT-CTR-Config.png

Alignment

UBNT-Align.JPG

Performance

UBNT-Perf.JPG

Mounting

WP_20171010_11_32_18_Pro.jpgWP_20171010_11_32_27_Pro.jpgWP_20171010_11_43_46_Pro.jpgWP_20171010_11_44_02_Pro.jpg

Comments
by
on ‎10-10-2017 02:43 PM

I see water beads in your photos, how has the rain fade been treating you?  I know the distance is fairly short, but what sort of dropoff have you seen in thunderstorms in terms of signal quality and throughput (if you have tested)? Also, do you have ethernet surge protectors on the radios?

by
on ‎10-10-2017 03:42 PM
The performance you're seeing above was in a slow soaking rain. I haven't had a good clear day to test after alignment (the installer didn't have access to the interface) so I can't say yet. I use Ubiquiti ETH-SP protectors and ground to the network rack. Not sure whether that's best practice...?
by
on ‎10-10-2017 03:49 PM

Okay, cool.

Okay, so it is normally recommended that the you have an ethernet surge protector near the radio as well one near the POE injection point (where that is the injector or your POE switch).  Electricity will take the shortest path to ground so rather than go back and damage your equipment outside, the ESP takes one for the team so that's why it is best to have a ESP near the radio.  Sometimes people don't put one on the inside near the switch/injector, but it's better to be safe than sorry, since the time it takes to swap out a surge protector is far easier than reinstalling a radio or replacing a switch (even if it is a UniFi switch), not the mention the cost difference.

by
on ‎10-10-2017 03:59 PM
Cool, thanks for the tip. Yeah I don't want to talk about the cost of a 48 port Cisco layer 3 switch 😀
by Ubiquiti Employee
on ‎10-16-2017 10:42 AM

Thanks for sharing!