02/26/2018
Nanostation 5AC loco Boosts Network Speeds for Local Church
Reason for Installation
MDF - Unifi 24 port POE Switch -> 5AC Loco IDF - 5AC Loco -> Unifi 24 port POE Switch
Used Products
×2
10365 Old Saint Augustine Road, Jacksonville, FL, USA
Description

Boosting network speeds for a local church here in Jacksonville FL (at which I am employed). These buildings were built in the 80s and for the last 10 years or so have been connected via burial-grade Cat5e in underground conduit. Unfortunately, since we're in Florida, we get struck by lightning often, resulting in the copper wiring carrying high voltages and damaging equipment on either end. 

We looked into pulling fiber through the existing conduits and connecting that way, but due to some unforseen server failures, most of our funds reserved for fiber were re-allocated to take care of repairs. So, I was left looking for a cheaper solution to get better internet speeds out to the building in question. 

We already have a PTMP wireless setup for 5 other buildings on our campus, which is powered by UBNT Nanostations (5ghz) and has been solid for the last 4 years or so. So I decided to try this setup again instead of pulling and terminating fiber. 

The buildings are located about 100 yards from each other, so I wasn't worried about range. After getting the units installed, I was very pleased with the results. Our old Cat5E connection could pull roughly 1MB/s (old, damaged wiring) over the network. Now, wit the new Gen2 AC Locos, I can pull almost 30MB/s over the network! The connection has been strong for the last week since install, and I am very happy with the results. IMG_0681.jpgInside the IDF

IMG_0685.jpgReceiving Building

IMG_0686.jpgSending Building

IMG_0689.jpgView from sending building to receiving building across the courtyard

IMG_0683.png

IMG_0684.png

Nanostation 5AC loco Boosts Network Speeds for Local Church

by on ‎02-26-2018 06:42 AM

Boosting network speeds for a local church here in Jacksonville FL (at which I am employed). These buildings were built in the 80s and for the last 10 years or so have been connected via burial-grade Cat5e in underground conduit. Unfortunately, since we're in Florida, we get struck by lightning often, resulting in the copper wiring carrying high voltages and damaging equipment on either end. 

We looked into pulling fiber through the existing conduits and connecting that way, but due to some unforseen server failures, most of our funds reserved for fiber were re-allocated to take care of repairs. So, I was left looking for a cheaper solution to get better internet speeds out to the building in question. 

We already have a PTMP wireless setup for 5 other buildings on our campus, which is powered by UBNT Nanostations (5ghz) and has been solid for the last 4 years or so. So I decided to try this setup again instead of pulling and terminating fiber. 

The buildings are located about 100 yards from each other, so I wasn't worried about range. After getting the units installed, I was very pleased with the results. Our old Cat5E connection could pull roughly 1MB/s (old, damaged wiring) over the network. Now, wit the new Gen2 AC Locos, I can pull almost 30MB/s over the network! The connection has been strong for the last week since install, and I am very happy with the results. IMG_0681.jpgInside the IDF

IMG_0685.jpgReceiving Building

IMG_0686.jpgSending Building

IMG_0689.jpgView from sending building to receiving building across the courtyard

IMG_0683.png

IMG_0684.png

{"location":{"title":"10365 Old Saint Augustine Road, Jacksonville, FL, USA","placeId":"ChIJdfGYaF7J5YgRr9DxvlNAZkc"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"nanostation-5ac","count":2}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"MDF - Unifi 24 port POE Switch -> 5AC Loco\nIDF - 5AC Loco -> Unifi 24 port POE Switch","mainImage":"145088i109D5E1F2AF44DD7"}

Comments
by Ubiquiti Employee
on ‎02-26-2018 08:54 AM

Superb! Glad to see a setup where wireless wasn't just the only option, but it was the best one too.