09/16/2018
New tower setup for Airmax equipment
Used Products
×2
×1
Description

There was a time to expand our network to the new area. We have reviewed the local regulations regarding tower placement and found out that we can put the tower up to 50 ft height without too much headache. Since we were short on money and cheap by nature (lol) we have decided to do as much work as we can on our own. The local tower supplier calculated the tower based on future equipment (wind load) and gave us a choice of a few different models. We have chosen 48ft Titan T700 from Trylon. For this type of tower, we needed to dig a 5x5x5ft foundation. 

Webp.net-resizeimage (10).jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg

We have leveled and secured the tower prior concrete pour.  

Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg

We have tried to use a gin pole for the rest of the assembly but unsuccessfully and ended up hiring the crane.  

Webp.net-resizeimage (6).jpg

The enclosure layout: Tripp-Lite 12/110 inverter/charger; 105Amph deep cycle backup battery, couple heaters with built-in thermostats (5-15C); couple cooling fans controlled by the external thermostat; 150W Tough(Edge) Switch. We typically use an old Ubiquiti radio for power outage monitoring and running Axence netTools on our server which pings the radio with email alerts.

Webp.net-resizeimage (7).jpg

A successful field test of the signal from the tower with  LiteBeam AC CPE.

Webp.net-resizeimage (8).jpg

So far tower equipment:  2x45deg AirMax AC sector running on Rocket5AC Lite radios; PowerBeam AC for a backhaul link.  The tower will have more equipment in the future with upgraded backhaul and sector antennas.

Webp.net-resizeimage (9).jpg

I hope someone finds this helpful in planning the new tower setup since we did quite a bit of research prior to every step of the process. I also would like to accept any criticism to improve our approach in the future. Thanks!

New tower setup for Airmax equipment

by on ‎09-16-2018 03:59 PM

There was a time to expand our network to the new area. We have reviewed the local regulations regarding tower placement and found out that we can put the tower up to 50 ft height without too much headache. Since we were short on money and cheap by nature (lol) we have decided to do as much work as we can on our own. The local tower supplier calculated the tower based on future equipment (wind load) and gave us a choice of a few different models. We have chosen 48ft Titan T700 from Trylon. For this type of tower, we needed to dig a 5x5x5ft foundation. 

Webp.net-resizeimage (10).jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg

We have leveled and secured the tower prior concrete pour.  

Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg

We have tried to use a gin pole for the rest of the assembly but unsuccessfully and ended up hiring the crane.  

Webp.net-resizeimage (6).jpg

The enclosure layout: Tripp-Lite 12/110 inverter/charger; 105Amph deep cycle backup battery, couple heaters with built-in thermostats (5-15C); couple cooling fans controlled by the external thermostat; 150W Tough(Edge) Switch. We typically use an old Ubiquiti radio for power outage monitoring and running Axence netTools on our server which pings the radio with email alerts.

Webp.net-resizeimage (7).jpg

A successful field test of the signal from the tower with  LiteBeam AC CPE.

Webp.net-resizeimage (8).jpg

So far tower equipment:  2x45deg AirMax AC sector running on Rocket5AC Lite radios; PowerBeam AC for a backhaul link.  The tower will have more equipment in the future with upgraded backhaul and sector antennas.

Webp.net-resizeimage (9).jpg

I hope someone finds this helpful in planning the new tower setup since we did quite a bit of research prior to every step of the process. I also would like to accept any criticism to improve our approach in the future. Thanks!

{"location":{"title":"Calgary, AB, Canada","placeId":"ChIJ1T-EnwNwcVMROrZStrE7bSY"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"5ghz-airmax-basestation-22dbi-45-deg-ac","count":2},{"id":"powerbeam-5ac-gen2","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"175220iF32F5E5CD2209F11"}

Comments
by
on ‎09-16-2018 07:30 PM

Would you share the electric devices used? The tripp lite inverter/battery i see some kind of dc regulators beside the poe switch

by
on ‎09-16-2018 09:27 PM

I believe whatever you see is a heater similar to this one:

https://www.omega.ca/pptst_eng/CSF060_Series.html

by
on ‎09-23-2018 02:55 PM

"couple heaters with built-in thermostats" - never ever needed one of thoese in any of my cabinets....

by
on ‎09-24-2018 01:05 PM

What brand/model enclosure are you using?

by
on ‎09-24-2018 09:16 PM

cabinet are custom built for another purpose

by
on ‎10-10-2018 09:27 AM

Pretty awesome setup!  How much did you end up spending in total on this project?