Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

08/11/2015
Rocket M2 at Tully Playa Torremolinos, Málaga, Spain
Description

Hi everyone!

Here we go with a success history at Tully Playa, Torremolinos, Málaga finished in May 2015

Our clients Jose & Manolo, owners of Deck chairs at Tully Playa & Manolo had the idea to offer WiFi to their clients. After convencing them that an Home ADSL Router was no the ideal solution in this scenario, we suggested the a 4G internet access.

After the visual study and their real needs we decided::

- Internet Access with 4G attached to a Router

- A Rocket M2

These are the pictures:

Welcome to Playa Tully!

Playa.jpg

01.jpeg

Mr. José Muñoz happy with his new product!

03.jpeg

WiFi signal excellent!

image_20.jpeg

You are welcome to have a look at our FB ( more installations based on UbnT published )

https://www.facebook.com/wifisolutions.es

Thanks

WiFi Solutions

Comments
by
on ‎08-11-2015 09:40 PM

That is very nice. Well done.

How many users are you able to connect to the Rocket at any time?

by
on ‎08-12-2015 01:10 AM

Hi cape-connect

About 40 users are able to connect to the Rocket!

Thanks

by
‎08-12-2015 04:55 AM - edited ‎08-12-2015 05:01 AM

@mikrotikagp Two questions:

First, what were your reasons for using a rocket instead of a unifi outdoor?  In my inexperience I would have naturally put in a unifi so I'm curious what lead you to choose a rocket instead.

Second, are you really able to cover such a large area with those rubber duck antennas?  Wouldn't you need a larger omni or some sectors?  I understand that you get "full signal" all over the area but full signal doesn't mean that the users puny cell phones can transmit all the way back to your AP.

by
on ‎08-12-2015 09:31 AM
@starburst500 normally i would agree i would pick a unifi outdoor but in this case the rocket does make sense since its web configurable without a controller and if only one access point is being used on a beach that would make it easier to setup and make changes. @mikrotikagp is it being run off battery or do they have mains power at the beach?
by
on ‎08-12-2015 11:16 AM

are you running some other hotspot controller then?  or is this more-or-less wide-open?

by
on ‎08-12-2015 11:18 AM
In his iphone screen shot it shows a lock so i would guess the owner is just giving clients the password no hotspot used
by
on ‎08-12-2015 11:23 AM

Still completely acceptable and common to have a password protected hotspot.  Almost all of my hotspots are password protected, otherwise is SUPER easy to spoof a mac and bypass splash screens and get free service without having to click on terms or otherwise play fair.

by
on ‎08-12-2015 11:28 AM
I agree 100% im just guessing based on the lock and what i have personally experience with small businesses before. personally I would always have a terms of use for clients to agree to. most people seem to go one way or the other. simply password protect or open with terms of use very, few go with both. going this way would also explain in my mind why they didnt go unifi instead. unless the 4g router he has has the ability to display a TOU agreement before allowing clients.
by
on ‎08-12-2015 11:33 AM

All my deployments are in the US so ToS is a must to potentially defend against DMCA requests etc.  I also prefer having a portal and some means of tracking guests so I can see if some devices over-use or are on 24x7 so I can mitigate abuse or nearby homes from using the service as their primary internet access.

by
on ‎08-12-2015 11:48 AM
good practice. Im in Canada and have done some US installs and do all mine the same way. but most smaller places here, and almost all places I goto aside from hotels in Europe and Asia, that have internet simply have a password they freely give to anyone who buys anything and they MAY change it once a year. or they have a basic portal that came as a free option with the router. I have gotten a few jobs purely based on pointing out the lack of a terms of service screen to owners.