Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Rocket M2 at Tully Playa Torremolinos, Málaga, Spain

by ‎08-11-2015 03:12 PM - edited ‎12-27-2015 06:10 AM

Hi everyone!

Here we go with a success history at Tully Playa, Torremolinos, Málaga finished in May 2015

Our clients Jose & Manolo, owners of Deck chairs at Tully Playa & Manolo had the idea to offer WiFi to their clients. After convencing them that an Home ADSL Router was no the ideal solution in this scenario, we suggested the a 4G internet access.

After the visual study and their real needs we decided::

- Internet Access with 4G attached to a Router

- A Rocket M2

These are the pictures:

Welcome to Playa Tully!

Playa.jpg

01.jpeg

Mr. José Muñoz happy with his new product!

03.jpeg

WiFi signal excellent!

image_20.jpeg

You are welcome to have a look at our FB ( more installations based on UbnT published )

https://www.facebook.com/wifisolutions.es

Thanks

WiFi Solutions

Comments
by
on ‎08-12-2015 11:53 AM

I try to avoid scare tactics and go for the financials.  Bring up the leeches that might be using up their service instead of their actual customers and push the idea of customer satisfaction a bit more.  I do say that ToS etc can only improve their protection against DMCA notices etc but they are more at risk for having their service terminated by a 3 strikes rule from their carrier.  Limiting customer uploads on the primary SSID is the biggest thing there with a controller and Unifi does a fine job.  Usually have a different SSID for a business center with a 5Ghz radio also and put less upload restrictions there for email attachments and uploads busienss users might need.  Torrents HATE 128kbps uploads though so that can really keep those in check and limit DMCA requests a great deal.

I'm anxiously awaiting some real DPI filtering in EdgeRouters specifically for hotels.

by
on ‎08-12-2015 12:09 PM - last edited on ‎08-29-2015 09:38 AM by Ubiquiti Employee

Hi to everyone!

Thanks for all your comments and interest!

Personally I offered to my client Hotspot service to limit bandwith, landing page ( with Facebook Like ) with time limit and terms of use. But he could not afford the extra price for extra configuration, so he asked me a simple solution. So the simple solution is changing the SSID and the WPA Enterprise password each week. ( they know how to do it )

Router 4G it´s only giving me WAN service, so all the other services like DHCP, IP, QoS are provided by other device ( not Ubiquiti ). This device is configured to start working mornings at 8:30 and to shutdown at 19:00.

I also had the idea of UniFi when the project was presented to us, we talked to our local network dealer ( Landatel Comunicaciones http://www.landatel.com ) and they suggested us this device better than UniFi to this particular scenario ( heat & humidity), and according to them this was the device installed in other locations by other companies. We thought as well for an omni/sectorial antenna, but again the client wanted to something simple and affordable.

They are paying each month 50€ for 100GB limited plan/month with Vodafone. ADSL services provides them in this area 3Mb´s/s, while with 4G they have 50MB´S/s. This WiFi service is free of charge to their clients.

If everything goes fine, may be next year they would improove in hardware (omni / sectorial ) and apply a proper hotspot service.

Thanks to all

by
‎08-12-2015 12:13 PM - edited ‎08-12-2015 12:15 PM

good work! also i wish we could get 4g that cheap in Canada!!! 4g is always my last resort because we pay closer to $10/GB. occationally you can negotiate a better rate but even then its outragious!

by
‎08-12-2015 02:59 PM - edited ‎08-12-2015 03:02 PM

System seems to be serving its purpose. Only thing I would change is the ethernet cable being on the outside of the pole. May be better to raise the pole and feed the cable inside of the pole to prevent some punk from clipping your wire. You may not have to worry about that in Spain. May be different than the US.

by
on ‎08-15-2015 08:07 AM

There are quite a few companies around the coast that offer unlimited MoviStar 4G contracts for 50 euro's a month.

Might be worth talking to the client and get them onto the UNLIMITED plan instead.

40 Users each day getting access to full 50mbit will kill the 100GB in a week or two at most and leave your client with either no internet or a HUGE overage bill !!

by
on ‎08-15-2015 08:27 AM

Hi again

@whittinghamj

We know about different companies but our client decided to go with Vodafone option.

100Gb´s limitation is resolved with a router wich limits the traffic. The normal use of one month it´s around 80Gb´s.

Thanks