Short nanostation link between buildings

by 2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Back in October, I did a project where I redid the terminations for the network. This included adding 5 cameras to the 16 channel AXIS system. We use AXIS because they have PTZ and 360 cameras. If you want to see pictures of this let me know.

One camera is placed in an outbuilding 400ft away from the nearest switch. I need to connect this to the CCTV network. I could have laid a 500ft fiber cable but renting a trencher for our skidsteers would have been a couple hundred dollars, it would also have taken all day. Instead I decided to venture into the world of Ubiquiti. I could spend only a fraction of my day installing two antennas for the same resalt, for less than $200. I also had an secondary motive for using a wireless link,  the building may or may not be used in 5 years so why wate time on cable that is stuck in the ground.

The third motive was to experiment with this wireless equitment and see how it performs in our wisconsin winters.  I may link other sites using this gear if it can handle our climate.

I ran the cat5e on both ends for the radios. One side I ran through the attic, the second side was run along a roof beam. I had some j-poles from satilite dishes, I cut them down to the minimum length required so that they did not look too obtrusive. As you can see, I did not use the included zipties for mounting, instead I used some steel hose clamps to insure that they would stay in place.

If I had a link made from that building to the main network I was going to make it multi purpose. Before the upgrade the internet for this building was coming from one of the owners houses via a panel antenna attached to a usb wifi adapter, blasing fast 7mb/s.  I originaly purchased two tp-link smart switches so that I could make two vlans to send over the link then split them back out again, I soon found out that the vlan feture was broken with tp-link. I ordered two netgear switches to do this instead. Now I have a super fast connection via these two loco m2 nanostations. I repurposed the the wifi antenna that was mounted out side by back feeding it with the tplink wifi AP, this allows the bussiness partner that lives in the house that I was drawing wifi from before to remotly access the camera system from his house with out using the vpn.

Client side radio. I could aim it a bit better if I wanted to.Client side radio. I could aim it a bit better if I wanted to.

Station APStation APClient APClient APMessy wires-remote office (from top to bottom)TP-link AP, Netgear smart switch, TP-link dumb switch, trend net poe switch for camera.Messy wires-remote office (from top to bottom)TP-link AP, Netgear smart switch, TP-link dumb switch, trend net poe switch for camera.Messy wires- link feed.\Messy wires- link feed.\

Comments
by
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

You would be better using 5GHz for this link. Less crowded and less noise.

You also have a large H/V differential either due to bad alignment or fresnel incursion.

Consider using 20MHz channel width with a valid channel rather than using 40MHz in this band.

by
2 weeks ago

You should change your TX power from 23dBm down to 8dBm.  

This will give you a signal of around -55, and your Transmit CCQ should stay high and may even go up.  -41 it too hot, a bit like yelling directly into someone's ear.  Lower TX power on this link will keep its performance at maximum and create less noise for other radios on close frequencies, like your Access Points, which means higher overall performance.

by
2 weeks ago

Thank you, both for the advice. Next time I go there I will be sure to change the settings accordingly.

by
2 weeks ago

What exactly is the Horizontal / Vertical Differential ?

by
2 weeks ago

9db in your case illustrated above.

On the Station it shows Horizontal RX is 50db and your Vertical is 41db. As I said this would indicate an alignment or fresnel zone incursion issue.

by
2 weeks ago

I was also wondering what the h/v differental was. It makes sense though because I didn't align them very well. 

by
2 weeks ago

The steel sheet building could account for the readings.