Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted
Emerging Member
Kudos: 1
Accepted Solution

Can airMAX send cable signals?

Hey Guys,

Here's something I'm trying to experiment. Your help would be appreciated!!

I have a TV coaxial cable connecting to my set of box from my cable provider. I want to send the signals of my Set of box
using Ubiquiti devices to other building about 3 - 4 Kms away. So, the setup would be like:

TV coaxial cable > Coverter (coaxial to ethernet) > LiteBeam AC <==wireless==> LiteBeam AC > Coverter (ethernet to coaxial) > Set of box

Is this setup possible?

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 5
Solutions: 1

Re: Can airMAX send cable signals?

Simply put... no it's not possible. I think what you are looking at is a media converter that transforms a the connections. Cable companies use a ton of different frequencies and protocols to send data through their systems, none of which are compatible with ethernet.

The closest work around would be to use a video encoder / decoder setup (gonna be expensive), and have a cable box at one location, and a the tv at the other.... but then you run into another problem.... how do you change the channel???

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 5
Solutions: 1

Simply put... no it's not possible. I think what you are looking at is a media converter that transforms a the connections. Cable companies use a ton of different frequencies and protocols to send data through their systems, none of which are compatible with ethernet.

The closest work around would be to use a video encoder / decoder setup (gonna be expensive), and have a cable box at one location, and a the tv at the other.... but then you run into another problem.... how do you change the channel???

Emerging Member
Kudos: 1

Thanks, Joe! Any idea if I can check the frequency used by the cable operator?