Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted
Kudos: 4

How create Nanostation network for 5 clients? Basic questions here.

[ Edited ]

I'll put here all questions what need to be answered for people who want create AP and their actually care about network settings:

I have internet source, from that I want create AP and connect 5 clients, all with Nanostations, distance max 1.5 km (max 1 mile).

Questions:

1. For 10-20 clients, is ok have Nanostation everywhere, or I need different device for AP? Which one?

2. The AP I set as router, to not interfere with my local LAN, is this ok or the AP will have trouble handle routing of all clients? Or i should set is as bridge on use mikrotik router at AP's side? For how many clients is ok use Nanostation as router on AP's side?

3. Very important here: Should I set client's Nanostations in router mode or bridge mode? Router is of course first choice, but I read in this forum that Nanostation will have hard time handle routing, so common practice is set Nanostation as bridge, and connect mikrotik to it in client's place? Which one method is correct?

4. Which is better method to lower interference (I don't want use more power than needed): lower width of channel to 5 MHz, or use 20 MHz channel and limit Max TX rate on both sides (AP & client) in Nanostations settings? I will limit each client to max 20 Mbps speed on their side in Nanostation setting.

5. To be sure on how wifi works: On AP's web Main -> Monitor -> Stations, I see for example 5 clients connected each 130 Mbps. But that combined speed is not possible. If actually one will start using 100 Mbps, it means rest 4 clients will drop to 30 Mbps speed ? Or it will still showing all clients connected with 130 Mbps speed?

antena installation:

6. I'm little bit confused about signal angles of antenna, it is horizontal and vertical 45 degree and elevation 15 degree, what that means? What is actual vertical range of antenna, it is 45 or 15 degrees? It is common practice to tilt antenas vertically or just install them upright?

many thanks!

Kudos: 190
Solutions: 12

Re: How create Nanostation network for 5 clients? Basic questions here.

We use Nanostations as our stations (moving to beams as we go to the new AC stuff), with rockets for our APs.  We have networks with up to 12 stations running over AirMax equipment.

1. I think that should be fine.  I would maybe encourage using a Rocket for the AP, but a Nanostation might work if your clients aren't dispered in a wide arc.  Nanostations are directional radios so you'll need the receiving stations to be within about a 90 degree arc in front of it if that's the way you go.  Rockets allow attaching a variety of antennas which can be directional or omni.  Omni would be better if your radios are all around your AP.

2. We have all of ours set to bridge to keep the network connected.  I don't have much experience using the AirMax stuff as a router, but it would work as such if you want to control packet flow between your wireless and wired network.

3. Clients should definitely be bridged.  Otherwise you'll be seeing a lot of overhead that's unneeded as it will all have to go through the central AP anyway.

4. This kinda depends on what's going on in the neighborhood.  You'll generate less noise for other networks with 'thinner' channels but you'll sacrifice your speed for everything going over it.

5. Yeah, all your clients will have to share airtime talking to your main AP.  So that number is something of a maximum possible based on current conditions.

6.  You should check out the UBNT training materials.

https://dl.ubnt.com/guides/training/courses/UBWA_Training_Guide.pdf
This has just about everything you should know about wireless networking.  It's awesome.

Section IV. Radiation Patterns pertains to this specific question.  It's on Page 33 in the PDF.

and this: https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/nanostationm/nsm_ds_web.pdf

has the specific pattern for the NanoStations on page 11 which you can learn how to read in the Training guide.

I don't think I could really describe it more concisely than just saying that the patterns on the sheet describe a 3 dimensional bubble that is where the signal is best.

Before you begin... Is your solution to throw money at it?
Kudos: 4

Re: How create Nanostation network for 5 clients? Basic questions here.

Thank You for your time.
3. Clients should definitely be bridged.  Otherwise you'll be seeing a lot of overhead that's unneeded as it will all have to go through the central AP anyway.

I want avoid situation, when for example client put cable to his LAN port and he will start broadcasting DHCP to my Nanostations network or another broadcast. How can I avoid this, if Nanostation will be in bridge mode?

6. You should check out the UBNT training materials.

Maybe I just need explanation - what is elevation angle? Do i ever need think on it? Or is important only think about beamwidth angle 60 degree when tilting nanostation but keep it always upright?