Highlighted

PTMP Transparent wireless bridge isue - Rocket Prism, Nanobeam, UAP-AC-M

Hello All,

I am setting up a campground wifi install using Unifi Equipment and Airmax for the bridge.  I have a Unifi Security Gateway and 8 port POE switch in the area where the internet comes into the building.  It then goes out to a 60ft tower where a Rocket Prism AC and 60 degree AC antenna are mounted uptop.

I am able to connect into the management interface of the Rocket and Nanobeam and connect the radios up using the default ubnt network and open/no password/security.  (Yes password/security will be entered once these are working).  

The problem is that my client device (iphone, or laptop) can connect to the access point but they dont get assigned a valid IP adderess.  The message states "No internet connection".  If I open my Iphone settings i see i have an 169.254.29.40 IP on a 255.255.255.0.0.  It should be going onto a 10.0.0.x and it does when I connect to any other access point that is meshed or directly wired to the bridge.  THe other weird thing is that I have a 1 port version of the Nanobeam and if i swap that in, the bridge starts working. 

1.  The nanobeams are ontop of a 30 ft pole and I need a pole climber to come each time so does anyone know why the 2 ports are working differently? THe only things change were that they were set to station ptmp and toggled between static and dynamic IP addresses.

I have also tried setting them to a static IP on the management interface of 192.168.1.x with IP's in the range of 192.168.1.24 to .60 range. 

2.  In looking at the example guides, do they need to be an ip below the .20 as they show them as with a .1, .2 or .3? 

I have also tried setting them to use DHCP instead of static IP with similar results.  Sometimes also when i look at the client list i the unifi tab the Nanobeam will have a 169.254.126.154 IP again..  I have attached some screenshots.  I am not on-site so I cannot post the screenshots for the airOs interface for the devices.  I will try to get those tomorrow along with resetting and starting from scratch.

My next steps are to rest the Prism and Nanobeams through AirOs, as i dont have a POE with a reset button, nor a way to climb up there easily.  If anyone has any other thoughts let me know.  My other thought was to plug in my laptop directly into the ethernet cable to the nanobeam and see if i get an IP that way and eliminate the UAP-AC-M-PRO.  But i think it is something to do with the nanobeam config.  Any help appreciated. Thanks!

2g-netwokrs.png
bridge-devices.png
networks-LAN.png
settings-networks.png
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 3361
Solutions: 682
Contributions: 73

Re: PTMP Transparent wireless bridge isue - Rocket Prism, Nanobeam, UAP-AC-M

What firmware are you running on the airMAX radios?

Do you have the support info file or config backup from one of the two port NBE units handy?  If so, could you send to james@ubnt.com?

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

The two port nano beams are running the latest firmware that shipped with them.  No upgrade available when I tried to upgrade the units. 

How do do I pull a config file? Can this be done through the air OS interface ?

thx!

Ubiquiti Employee

I would download the support info file from the System tab.  The latest firmware is 8.5.4 for these units.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

James, I emailed you the info.

After further investigation it looks like the if I hardwire directly into the nanoswitch connected to the nanostation ptmp station, i get access to the internet and a proper IP address.  I am able to access the local controller on my 192.168.1.x subnet.

It is only when one of my wireless devices connnects to the UAP-AC-M-PRO which is connected to the nanostation ptmp, it wont get an IP address on my 10.0.0.x subnet.  But yet this works fine with my single port nano beam.

It makes me think i need to setup some sort of rule inside the 2 port under advanced settings? Its like it will forward traffic on the 192.168 subnet (which it is apart of) but not the WLAN 10.0.0 subnet.  But yet the single port will.

does this make sense?

Latest update, from my observations it would appear to be a difference in the factocry setup of the 1 port vs 2 port nanobeam?

I have a separate VLAN 200 setup under the 10.0.0.x subnet that the wifi clients connect to.  IF i connect wired directly into the nanoswitch (connected to the nanobeam) I can get out to the internet on the corporate default LAN.  But using the VLAN 200 it appears to not make it through to the internet, my wifi clients get a 169.254 IP address and if I remove the 200 VLAN and have them join the main corporate network and default subnet of 192.168.1, then everyhting is fine and it works.

As soon as I swap in a 1 port nanobeam, everything is fine also....

Can someone please help and let me know what I need to change here to get this working.  Is there a setting on the nanobeam in order to pass through the VLAN 200?  @UBNT-James?

I think i need to create a bridge here?

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/airMAX-Installation/nanobeam-M5-Vlan-tagged-packets-not-passing/td-p/1...

wonder why the 2 port is different.  any ideas?

Ubiquiti Employee

It looks like the Nanobeam is still on 8.4.x firmware.  If you haven't already, I would manually update the radio to 8.5.4.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png