Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted

Powerbeam M5 300

Hello guys,

I have 2 powebeams m5 300 in ptp connection.

The link is -73db and the speed is 100+Mbps.

Everything seems to work fine, the ping is between 2 - 7ms, but from time to time i get some numbers around 250 - 700ms.

Both powerbeams use the latest firmware.

Any suggestions?

Thank you if advance.

George

SuperUser
Kudos: 7195
Solutions: 442
Contributions: 1

Re: Powerbeam M5 300

-73 is way lower than I would ever accept - you are likely seeing bursts of interference causing the latency spikes because there isn't enough signal to noise.   You don't say what the distance is, but I would not use 300s for anything longer than a few miles, and probably not then -  you really want signals in the low 60s or better.

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)

"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist

Hello eejimm,

Thanx for taking the time to reply.

The distance is about 2kms.

Should change them to 400s?

Between the 2 points there are some trees, do you think that they interfere?

Thank you

SuperUser
Kudos: 7195
Solutions: 442
Contributions: 1

Absolutely - at 2km you should have much higher signal levels than that if it's clear line-of-sight.   If there are trees in the way this will absorb signal - them moving in the wind may even be part of the latency issue.   If re-adjusting the antenna aim doesn't make things better, going to bigger dishes will probably help.   Frankly at that low a level, if the 300s are aimed as best they can be, I would go right to 500s to get more signal through the trees...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)

"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist

I just moved one of the dishes in another location (10meters away from the original location) and now i am getting around -68 and the noise is -101.

The latency now is 1ms but i am getting some 20ms from time to time.

Thank you

George