Highlighted
Veteran Member
Kudos: 2444
Solutions: 119

AirOS v5.5.2 for UniFi

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/97241/nv-airos-unifi-bz2-v5.5.2.bin

Does what it says on the tin. Built following the instructions at http://forum.ubnt.com/showthread.php?t=25524 except using the v5.5.2 SDK instead.

I've also made an 'adjusted' version the UniFi firmware so AirOS will accept it as a valid firmware so you can flash back the the UniFi firmware without requiring a TTL cable.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/97241/unifi-bz2-2.3.8.1597-flashback-from-airos.bin

The only differences between the latter link, and the official firmware is the first few bytes in the header (magic numbers and such), and fixing up the CRC32 checksums.

I suspect one could actually get the official AirOS firmware image (ie, not using the SDK) and do a similar modification to it to make it run on UniFi without needing to wait for the SDK. Naturally the logo wouldn't work and I haven't tested if it would actually work as I only had this inspiration -after- building it from the SDK, but could work in a pinch next time a new version of AirOS comes out and the SDK isn't available yet. For the curious feel free to fire up a hex editor and compare my bin with the stock image, it should be fairly simple to work out how to replicate it on other images (such as OpenWRT to allow easier flashing without having to use TTL! Although be warned you'll need TTL to flash back to stock or airos from openwrt, I've not worked a way around that yet).

Enjoy!
Established Member
Kudos: 390
Solutions: 15

Re: AirOS v5.5.2 for UniFi

Your timing could not have been better, because I really needed one of these today! Loaded, rebooted, runs great!

Thank You x100
Best Regards ... Joe

If the communication industry had been built on the backs of yes-men,
we would be submitting our forum posts at the telegraph office in town.
Veteran Member

Glad I could help. Man Happy
Emerging Member
Kudos: 67
Solutions: 2

Nice but no LED control. It would be good to have them on (green) by default.
Established Member

UAP-Outdoor5 ?

I asked in the original thread whether has anyone tried this technique on UAP-Outdoor5 ... (That's the 5GHz, 2x 10/100 Ethernet Ports, Rocket-like box.)

Back there the user giurgiu.m.b apparently tried it, but his results were that he bricked it. Don't see if he was ever able to successfully recover. Man Sad

Just wondering if anyone else had better luck, or confirmed that it is not possible?
Best Regards ... Joe

Veteran Member

I asked in the original thread whether has anyone tried this technique on UAP-Outdoor5 ... (That's the 5GHz, 2x 10/100 Ethernet Ports, Rocket-like box.)

Back there the user giurgiu.m.b apparently tried it, but his results were that he bricked it. Don't see if he was ever able to successfully recover. Man Sad

Just wondering if anyone else had better luck, or confirmed that it is not possible?

Unfortunately I haven't got one to play with. I assume with a TTL cable you could probably recover though.

With the exception of the UniFi AP-Pro, all the UniFi kit appears to use the same "BZ2" firmware, so I'm not sure why the UAP-Outdoor5 has issues with it, the only difference is two Ethernet ports and 5GHz, but AirOS supports that exact config with Rocket M5s and NanoStation M5's, so a bit confused as to why it doesn't work.

Possibilities are that something else was at play that bricked his device, or there is something different about the Outdoor5's that doesn't play nice with AirOS. If the latter, there's no reason a TTL cable shouldn't be able to recover it, but the risk would be yours.

I'm not sure why you'd use a UAP-Outdoor over an equivalent Rocket though. The only reason I'm using the UniFi APs is because there's no equivalent AirOS device in a nice roof-mount form-factor (hint hint Ubiquiti guys!).
Veteran Member

Nice but no LED control. It would be good to have them on (green) by default.

I've not really looked into how to bake in an rc.poststart script by default in the firmware image, but you can easily add the following to your own rc.poststart to achieve that. Refer to this post in the other thread about changing LEDs http://forum.ubnt.com/showpost.php?p=361092&postcount=123
Established Member

Unfortunately I haven't got one to play with. I assume with a TTL cable you could probably recover though.
With the exception of the UniFi AP-Pro, all the UniFi kit appears to use the same "BZ2" firmware, so I'm not sure why the UAP-Outdoor5 has issues with it, the only difference is two Ethernet ports and 5GHz, but AirOS supports that exact config with Rocket M5s and NanoStation M5's, so a bit confused as to why it doesn't work.
Possibilities are that something else was at play that bricked his device, or there is something different about the Outdoor5's that doesn't play nice with AirOS. If the latter, there's no reason a TTL cable shouldn't be able to recover it, but the risk would be yours.
I'm not sure why you'd use a UAP-Outdoor over an equivalent Rocket though. The only reason I'm using the UniFi APs is because there's no equivalent AirOS device in a nice roof-mount form-factor (hint hint Ubiquiti guys!).

Well the reason for wanting UAP-Outdoor is for the second Ethernet port. Man Wink Since day one I figured one of the most unfortunate events in the history of the rocket is that the originals were designed with the USB port (which turned out to be useless) instead of the second Ethernet (like the NSMx of the same generation had). Then in one of the hardware revision cycles, the 2x Ethernet UAP-Outdoor appeared, but instead of using a common platform (shouldn't that have saved costs???) the updated rocket just lost the USB. Man Sad(
We have some very lightweight AP pops at remote rural hilltop sites running off of solar power. They only service a handful of customers, and to keep costs down, we like to keep power requirements to a minimum. That means if I had rockets with 2 Ethernet ports that I could daisy chain to a pair of other radios, I save the power needed for a switch. Man Wink And before anyone mentions Titanium, first read its power requirements and realize that counters the idea of a lightweight solar power site. Man Happy
Best Regards ... Joe

Veteran Member

Well the reason for wanting UAP-Outdoor is for the second Ethernet port. Man Wink Since day one I figured one of the most unfortunate events in the history of the rocket is that the originals were designed with the USB port (which turned out to be useless) instead of the second Ethernet (like the NSMx of the same generation had). Then in one of the hardware revision cycles, the 2x Ethernet UAP-Outdoor appeared, but instead of using a common platform (shouldn't that have saved costs???) the updated rocket just lost the USB. Man Sad(

We have some very lightweight AP pops at remote rural hilltop sites running off of solar power. They only service a handful of customers, and to keep costs down, we like to keep power requirements to a minimum. That means if I had rockets with 2 Ethernet ports that I could daisy chain to a pair of other radios, I save the power needed for a switch. Man Wink And before anyone mentions Titanium, first read its power requirements and realize that counters the idea of a lightweight solar power site. Man Happy

Ah! What about the M5 GPS? The datasheet seems to indicate that they have 2 Ethernet ports still, although I've not actually played with any personally. Apparently both the M5 GPS and M5 use 8 Watts according to the datasheet.

What was the USB port intended for anyway? 3G backup or something?
Established Member

Ah! What about the M5 GPS? The datasheet seems to indicate that they have 2 Ethernet ports still, although I've not actually played with any personally. Apparently both the M5 GPS and M5 use 8 Watts according to the datasheet.

What was the USB port intended for anyway? 3G backup or something?

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's a price consideration, M5GPS-$229 compared to U-Outdoor-$138.

Yeah, well although they don't want to talk about it, the USB port was supposed to be for a USB-GPS upgrade plugin. But only after production did they apparently discover that the USB port to processor bus interface would not support an accurate timing they needed for AirSync to work. Icon Sad
Best Regards ... Joe

SuperUser
Kudos: 3556
Solutions: 289

Works wonderful! Will be using this on 3 UniFi's going in a warehouse for Symbol handheld scanners to match the 5 Rocket M2's they'll have attached to shielded sectors outside!
Thanks!
+1
Tony Pierro
CTO - Wireless Internet Services, Inc.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 67
Solutions: 2

On Performing a flashback to unifi I am now getting this error.... 413 - Request Entity Too Large ... Any ideas?

Edit... Overcame this issue by plugging directly into unit and resetting to factory defaults before putting new firmware in.
Kudos: 40
Solutions: 4

can i use it for a 2.4 unifi outdoor ?

upgrade fault

After I download and do upgrade command below:
scp nv-airos-unifi-bz2-v5.5.2 ubnt@192.168.1.20:/tmp/fwupdate.bin
From a SSH session on the UniFi device:
/sbin/ubntbox fwupdate.real -m /tmp/fwupdate.bin -d

My UAP is going to upgrade...

After it finished upgrade and reboot.
ping 192.168.1.20 is well.
But, go to 192.168.1.20/, It shows a alert page below:
---------------------------------------
This device has been identified as counterfeit.
AirOS is not licensed for use on this device and has been disabled.
Please see the Ubiquiti Brand Protection page at www.ubnt.com
for more information.
What happen for it? and it can not login to AirOS.
How do I recover back to UniFi?
Established Member

scp nv-airos-unifi-bz2-v5.5.2 ubnt@192.168.1.20:/tmp/fwupdate.bin
From a SSH session on the UniFi device:

My UAP is going to upgrade...

After it finished upgrade and reboot.
ping 192.168.1.20 is well.
AirOS is not licensed for use on this device and has been disabled.
Please see the Ubiquiti Brand Protection page at www.ubnt.com
for more information.
What happen for it? and it can not login to AirOS.
How do I recover back to UniFi?

I am by no means an expert on this since I only followed the steps in the original agsweeney instructions, but here are my thoughts.

First, are you still able to login via SSH? If yes, you did not mention the step of resetting back to factory defaults after installing v5.5.2. ...

cfgmtd -f /usr/etc/system.cfg -w && reboot

If that does not help, NVX gave us the second .bin file

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/97241/unifi-bz2-2.3.8.1597-flashback-from-airos.bin

see if you can use SCP to load and install that just like the original file.

If you can't get into SSH, then try using the standard AirOS TFTP recovery procedure, but use the second file instead.

Two possibilities why it did not work for you.

1) If counterfeiters have been sneaking boxes into the AirOS radio market, why not UniFi boxes?

2) So far, I have only tested this on old UAPs with old MACs. You may have a new UAP and AirOS may not have added that new series to their check list. I pointed out this as a concern back on the agsweeney thread. Some of us are spending a lot of time trying to stick with Ubiquiti and fix some of the usability shortcomings of UniFi model in the home consumer market, because there is no other Ubiquiti product that fits as well. It would be a real shame if we now are running into counterfeit box checking code.
Best Regards ... Joe

Hi Joy,
thanks for your reply.
after run the command below:
UAP has auto reboot, and can not login via ssh.
I use hardware reset and set to default IP:192.168.1.20 .
Still not work, I will use TTL console line for recovery.
Danny
Veteran Member

can i use it for a 2.4 unifi outdoor ?

I have not tested it, so use at your own risk. In theory it should work though, but see JustJoe's earlier messages about the 5GHz unifi outdoor, in theory that should have worked too, go figure.

A TTL cable should be able to recover from most things though.
Veteran Member

Which UniFi device is it, and what's is its MAC address prefix? I'm not at work at the moment so I can't verify that the MAC prefix of the device I tested my build on, but I'll report back when I get a chance with the prefix, JustJoe might be on to something...

Unfortunately the "AirOS TFTP recovery procedure" is actually in the bootloader of the devices, not AirOS itself, and the UniFi devices have a different bootloader which doesn't have the same one, at least not without using a TTL cable.

A TTL cable should get you back to the UniFi firmware, although if using a TTL cable the 'flashback' image shouldn't be needed. That's only needed when flashing back via fwupgrade.real when SSH'd to a running AirOS on UniFi to make the AirOS fwupgrade.real tool accept the UniFi firmware (it checks a few magic headers which differ between the two). TTL TFTP recovery if it does check the headers magic strings (I'm not sure if it does or not), it would be checking for the UniFi magic strings, go figure.

Would be very interested if you could provide as much information as possible though like where you got the device from, etc. If legit devices are getting detected as counterfeit with this image then that's something to definitely be concerned about, although it would be good to confirm they are in fact not counterfeit.

Hi NVX
So,you mean that my UAP maybe illegal?
It was got from China and MAC addr is 00-27-22-ce-0b-e5.
is it enough info?
Veteran Member

Hi NVX

So,you mean that my UAP maybe illegal?

It was got from China and MAC addr is 00-27-22-ce-0b-e5.
is it enough info?

I'm thinking maybe so. Will confirm what MAC prefix I have on the unit I tried. Where in China? Was it from one of the the places listed at http://www.ubnt.com/purchase/asia? If not, it could quite possibly be a counterfeit unit, especially if obtained from ebay or the like.

Did the packaging look legitimate? Fancy holographic ubnt sticker, etc?