Kudos: 2

5.5.4 Data Rate Module

I've been searching around and can't find anymore specfic information on the new Alternative Data Rate Modulation option in 5.5.4. I figured I'd sign up here and see if anyone can fill me in on specifics of what this option actually does and when you should and should not use it.

Thanks!

Emerging Member
Kudos: 3

Re: 5.5.4 Data Rate Module

I'm also looking for information about the alternative data rate mod.

Established Member
Kudos: 640
Solutions: 20

Keen to find out also

I have a v5.5.2 link that occasionally starts cycling in terms of thruput.

-58 on each end of a 32km link using rocket dishes and have the rocket radios turned down the power slightly. When i turn on airmax, the radios connect, work fine then ccq drops down to 20% and then rises to 100% for a minute then drops to 20% for a couple of minutes and then rises again - constantly cycling up and down.

When i turn off airmax it works fine - but i want the voip priority enabled so hoping this extra data rate system could help.

For best results apply Acceleration to your Elevation
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2099
Solutions: 206

There is no specific recommendation from UBNT where to use it and where not. The best setting has to be chosen indivudually for each link. So please try it on your links and share your experience with other forum members. With more feedback and your experience we could all better know in what situations Alternative rate may be used and where not.

Thanks,

Edmundas

Kudos: 73

Come on, the man asks if Alternative Data Rate Module has some implications over Airmax and maybe some improvement for VoIP traffic and the answer is that there is no specific recommendation where to use it and where not as if someone else had put this option in the software and not UBNT, and there is no indication of what might be good.

It's like having in the car a new button that says "Alternative Stability Control" and when I ask (like the cartoon Dexter's sister), "What does this button do??", car manufacturer would respond: <<The best setting has to be chosen indivudually for each road. So please try it on your roads and share your experience with other drivers. With more feedback and your experience we could all better know in what situations "Alternative Stability Control" may be used and where not>>

Please give us at least some clues: why this option has been included in the software and what could be better if we activate it.

Ubiquiti Employee

@fadel wrote:

Come on, the man asks if Alternative Data Rate Module has some implications over Airmax and maybe some improvement for VoIP traffic and the answer is that there is no specific recommendation where to use it and where not as if someone else had put this option in the software and not UBNT, and there is no indication of what might be good.

It's like having in the car a new button that says "Alternative Stability Control" and when I ask (like the cartoon Dexter's sister), "What does this button do??", car manufacturer would respond: <<The best setting has to be chosen indivudually for each road. So please try it on your roads and share your experience with other drivers. With more feedback and your experience we could all better know in what situations "Alternative Stability Control" may be used and where not>>

Please give us at least some clues: why this option has been included in the software and what could be better if we activate it.

Alternative Data Rate module may give:

- more stable Data Rate selection

- lower jitter

- better performance on networks suffering interference

I don't have any 100% proof that in one or other situation Alternative Rate algorithm will give you better results. So it's why we left two options to chose the best setting individually. As if Alternative Rate algorithm would be the best in all cases, we would have it selected by default and removed previous one.

NOTE: If you have stable link and good performance, then there is no need to even try it. It's for those who have unstable rates and crappy links.

-Edmundas

Established Member
Kudos: 418
Solutions: 6

Now you have to design a specification document for what constitutes a crappy link Man Very Happy
Kudos: 42

does it only work with AirMax enabled?

Ubiquiti Employee

@bmv wrote:

does it only work with AirMax enabled?

It works not depending if airMAX is enabled or not.

-Edmundas

Kudos: 12
Solutions: 1

-------------------------------------------

English (Google Translator)

I really paid off. The situation: BulletM2 with Airmax enabled and 50 customers online. Much noise in the spectrum and customers had average 100ms pings (from the CPE to AP) ... Changing channels and the situation did not improve ... I install the 5.54 and using "Alternative Data Rate" and lowering power at 23 dBm .... Pings are around 20ms average now ....

I guess the alternative algorithm to more efficiently use the hardware 400Mhz ... And in my particular case, improved performance in a situation of 50 customers with much noise.

Now I will place another AP to avoid saturating the BulletM2 ...

Greetings from Argentina

Spanish

-------------

A mi me dio buenos resultados. La situación: BulletM2 con Airmax habilitado y 50 clientes conectados. Mucho ruido en el espectro y los cilenten tenian un pings promedio de 100ms (desde el CPE al AP)... Cambiaba canales y la situación no mejoraba... Le instale el 5.54 y utilizando "Alternative Data Rate" y bajando la potencia a 23 dBm.... Los pings ahora rodan los 20ms promedio....

Supongo que el algoritmo alternativo debe utilizar de forma más eficiente los 400Mhz del hardware... Y en mi caso en particular, mejoro el rendimiento en una situación de 50 clientes con mucho ruido.

Ahora voy a colocar otro AP para no saturar el BulletM2...

Saludos desde Argentina

Kudos: 1

Are you setting Data Rate Module to alternative on all stations connecting to the acess point even if they have good signal and throughput or just the one that have poor connection?

Kudos: 12
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

Well I try it in a ST, in test mode, the Alternative modulation in a link with 30,5 Km and I get an Airmax Quality really poor, but increase 10 Mbps the TX Rate. 

Screen Shot 2013-03-27 at 10.49.27 AM.png

Whit a Default Rate Modulation we have an Airmax Quality of 47%.  

Kudos: 26

I also tried the alternative data module on a PtP in a noisy enviromen and

AIrmax shot up by 10% and now I have better stable rates.

Have you set the AP to Alternative as well?

Glenn Moore
Office 780-833-6347
Extension 2006
Iwantwireless Logo
Kudos: 26

I have set alternative data rate module on both the AP and station. 

Its my guess they have to set the same on each side for you to

realise the benifit.

Kudos: 23

We have had very good luck with the alternative rate module on all ubnt equipment but worse with CPE=ubnt and ap= mikrotik.

[ Edited ]

I just tried it on a link where one CPE gets a solid 270-300 mbps and the other floats around 180 mbps. I hadn't worried about it much since I just don't care but I'm going to be adding a third CPE at quite a bit further distance so wanted to optimise the airtime these two get as much as possible. I tried it and it make the rates much less stable, taking the good one to the 180-200s range and the bad one dropping as low as 30ish.

Signal strengths are -38 / -56 dBm on the slower link and -57 / -65 dBm on the faster link. I'm wondering if the signal is just TOO strong on the slower link?

All are NanoStation Loco M5's. The new unit will be a NanoStation M5 (quite a bit further away, I'm hoping the new one will even work, so I sprung for the pricier option...). Running on channel 64, was running 100. 40 MHz mode.

Kudos: 16

I don't know in which topic I had read that this new data rate module would make the data rates more stable and that this would force the AP to choose the highest MCS rate as possible... I then activated the "alternative" option both for the AP and for the stations thinking I was doing a good thing, well I can only say it made things get worst and I realized that many days later after the change.

The date rate, both TX and RX kept dropping to lower MCS rates and only a few times it would go to higher numbers. I thought this was due to something, interference or something else because I was having problems before of the change but today I decided to change it back to the default setting and the data rates are now more stable, it is not dropping to lower rates as it was before and the CCQ has improved as well. 

Before going to 5.5.4 I've been using 5.5.2 and having issues with the upstream data rate and I was hoping the new Data Rate module would solve this problem and right after I updated all my clients and AP's I changed it to the "alternative" setting so I was thinking everything was the same as before, but not, changing it back to the default setting made all the rates go up! I've been noticing a bad behavior on the downstream rates as well so I thought, hey, it must be the alternative setting that is doing this, not interference or anything! 

So guys, try it out and see if this improves things to you because for me, it made things worst!

It looks like the alternative data rate uses a less optimistic algorithm to choose the MCS.  I've noticed less jitter and packet loss on voip links with a high noise environment.

Kudos: 16

[ Edited ]

I would say much, much less optmistic algorithm because many of my clients dropped to 6.5Mbps for long periods of the day using the alternative data rate method, specially the upload rates and I didnt't notice any improvement buy doing this.