Emerging Member
Kudos: 10
Solutions: 2
Accepted Solution

Cox Cablemodem bridged to remote location

I am reasonably sure I have a configuration problem, but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is.  Hoping someone can point me in the right direction...

I have a broadcast tower with no wired connectivity on site.  I "leased" a space at a small cafe about 2 miles away and had Cox Communications install my own cablemodem alongside the cafe's at that location.  Then I have a pair of LBE-5AC-23 LiteBeams connecting the two sites.  I can "see" each Litebeam just fine, but I can't get connectivity across the wireless path from the cablemodem.

More details...

The Litebeam at the cafe is connected directly to the cablemodem. There isn't an option for putting a NAT device at the Cafe; I need to pass the raw connectivity across the wireless bridge to the tower where the NAT devices are (there are multiple ISP's in play here).

At the tower end, the Litebeam is mounted 320ft AGL and connects to an EdgePoint EP-S16, which sends the connection down a fiberoptic cable to an EdgeSwitch ES-24-LITE in the shelter building at the bottom.  From the EdgeSwitch I have a short cat5 run to a Cisco RV340 but I've tried connecting my laptop directly to the EdgeSwitch and inputting one of the three static IP's I have Cox in my NIC.  Neither works. 

I called Cox and had them flush the ARP cache; usually you have to do this whenever you connect something new to the cablemodem.  That might be iffy with the laptop given all the connecting/disconnecting but the Cisco RV340 should've worked.

I'm betting there is something in my EdgePoint or Edgeswitch settings...or maybe the LiteBeams...that is set up wrong.  Any suggestions on where to start looking?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Emerging Member

Re: Cox Cablemodem bridged to remote location

By trial and error and several more calls to Cox - I figured it out.  It was a problem on the Cox end.  I suspect what happened is when I called earlier today to have the ARP cache flushed...which must be done after every time you change which MAC address is accessing any of the static IP's....I didn't confirm with the tech which cablemodem at the address in question they were flushing.  I'll bet it was the cafe's, not ours.  Figures.  Well at least it works now!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

Oh, in theory this shouldn't matter, but the Litebeams are on subnet 192.168.30.x and the EdgePoint and EdgeSwitch are on subnet 192.168.20.x   And the Cox stuff is on its own subnet from the ISP, of course.  (also, I tried putting everthing on 192.168.20.x and it didn't help anyways)

Highlighted
Emerging Member

By trial and error and several more calls to Cox - I figured it out.  It was a problem on the Cox end.  I suspect what happened is when I called earlier today to have the ARP cache flushed...which must be done after every time you change which MAC address is accessing any of the static IP's....I didn't confirm with the tech which cablemodem at the address in question they were flushing.  I'll bet it was the cafe's, not ours.  Figures.  Well at least it works now!

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1579
Solutions: 228

Glad you got this one resolved.