Kudos: 38
Solutions: 5

Re: Multiple SSIDs / Virtual APs

When I wrote it there was. I am guessing the forum software does not reconize linux text (LF) vs windows (CR+LF) for new lines. Here it is correctly formatted.

cat /etc/persistent/rc.poststart

wlanconfig ath1 create wlandev wifi0

wlanmode ap iwconfig ath1 essid 'OPEN SSID HERE'

iwpriv ath1 ap_bridge 1

iwpriv ath1 wds 1

ifconfig ath1 up

brctl addif br2 ath1

ifconfig br1 up

Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

Dear UBNT Developers,

We're now at #202 posts in this request thread and the last reply from a UBNT employee was back at post #123!

I'm at a point now where I can no longer do without virtual AP's, I've been trying every which way to avoid using them (even adding additional devices for an extra SSID) just because I don't want to have 'hidden' config running in the background that our installers/service tech's might miss if they upgrade or alter the settings in the WebGUI.

Can we get a realistic timeline on when this feature might "actually" make it into the UBNT firmware?

I'm a programmer as well as network engineer and having built our entire network management, billing and bandwidth control software, I know this is a feature that should be relatively quick to implement.  If I had enough *free* time, I would probably download the SDK and do it myself, but free time is very hard to find.

So please, this is not a just a +1 for this feature, it's a +1000.

Thanks

Anubis.

Kudos: 9

Yes, Yes, Yes.  Hell I bet there are enough people even on this forum to pay good money for an actual Ubnt employee to get this done.  I'd pay $100 right now, put that with 20 other people willing to do the same and if I was a programmer for UBNT I'd take $2k to spend a weekend giving the customers what they want Man Happy)

Zach

Emerging Member
Kudos: 3

And get fired the monday after for accepting underhand money and bypassing source change control?

Be realistic. If you want this in the GUI, you want it maintained in subsequent versions. Otherwise you are back to the same mistake prone and version instable situation as with the CLI instructions.

PS: I ordered 2 extra devices (cheap Loco's, sorry) to experiment with CLI instructions a few post back. Will confirm later if it works or not, after I receive them and have some spare time.

[ Edited ]

No, no, we need this to be legit.  This should be treated as a contracted feature by passionate customers and handled by Ubnt.   We need Ubnt to accept the money and then pay the programmer overtime (since they apparently don't see the feature important enough to spend normal time on) to add the feature permanently so that it will be updated and present in all future firmware updates.  And when firmware updates are done settings should remain as they do with other features.

SuperUser
Kudos: 10845
Solutions: 668
Contributions: 1

This is an interaction issue with AirMax.   You really don't think UBNT has looked at this and would have released it if it were possible?   It's in the UniFi line because they don't do AirMax.   That's the issue, and I doubt it's going to be "solved" soon, if ever...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)

I think this has been talked about before, I'm fine with it only being possible while airmax is disabled.  I don't use airmax on most of my networks anyways b/c it's not compatible with other brands.  When airmax is disabled just simply have an option to add ESSID's,  It actually is a very simple feature when you leave airmax out of the equation.

Zach

SuperUser
Kudos: 10845
Solutions: 668
Contributions: 1

zsc100 wrote:

I think this has been talked about before, I'm fine with it only being possible while airmax is disabled.  I don't use airmax on most of my networks anyways b/c it's not compatible with other brands.  When airmax is disabled just simply have an option to add ESSID's,  It actually is a very simple feature when you leave airmax out of the equation.

Zach

Yes, but why would UBNT do that?   To induce people to buy someone else's radios?

Frankly, while it would be handy to have multiple SSIDs in a few cases, I've never considered it even close to a deal-breaker.   As always, YMMV...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)
Highlighted
Kudos: 2

[ Edited ]

@Zach,

Heck, if it were down to that, I'd put $1000 forward; that's less than the cost of the additional expenditure I've spent putting additional devices in where I've needed 2 (or more) SSID's.

Even if for now the feature wasn't AirMax compatible, at least it's there; then perhaps later it could be worked on to be AirMax capable.

@Cybermaus;

I can confirm the CLI commands work; I've done it in some situations, but as there's no "indication" of an additional SSID in the GUI, you need to "know" it's there and I don't want to rely on my installers/tech's to "remember" an AP has more than one SSID.

Here's a little note I made up for my tech's to enable multiple SSID's; I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere before, but this is what I go by:

1)	Add a new 'bridge' port (use the next port number in line, eg 'port.4' and next device number in line, eg 'ath1'):

bridge.1.port.4.devname=ath1
bridge.1.port.4.prio=20
bridge.1.port.4.status=enabled

2)	Add in the 'ebtables' options (incrementing the .2. number as applicable and using the added device number):

ebtables.sys.eap.2.status=enabled
ebtables.sys.eap.2.devname=ath1
ebtables.sys.arpnat.2.status=enabled
ebtables.sys.arpnat.2.devname=ath1

3)	Add in the 'netconf' port (incrementing the .4. number as applicable and using the added device number):

netconf.4.up=enabled
netconf.4.status=enabled
netconf.4.role=bridge_port
netconf.4.promisc=enabled
netconf.4.netmask=255.255.255.0
netconf.4.mtu=1500
netconf.4.ip=0.0.0.0
netconf.4.hwaddr.status=disabled
netconf.4.hwaddr.mac=
netconf.4.devname=ath1
netconf.4.autoip.status=disabled
netconf.4.allmulti=enabled

4)	Create the next 'virtual' radio device using the added device number and the next virtual number, eg virtual.1.:

radio.1.virtual.1.status=enabled
radio.1.virtual.1.devname=ath1
radio.1.virtual.1.mode=master

5)	Create the next 'wireless' section using the device number and specify the new SSID:

wireless.2.wmm=enabled
wireless.2.wds.status=disabled
wireless.2.status=enabled
wireless.2.ssid=NEWSSID     <= CHANGE TO ACTUAL SSID OF VIRTUAL AP
wireless.2.l2_isolation=enabled    <= CHANGE TO 'disabled' IF NO ISOLATION IS REQUIRED
wireless.2.hide_ssid=disabled
wireless.2.autowds=disabled
wireless.2.authmode=1
wireless.2.ap=
wireless.2.addmtikie=enabled
wireless.2.devname=ath1

6a)	If no security is needed; you're done here; save config file and upload to device.

6b)	If security is required; add the following config appending the section number:

aaa.2.br.devname=br0
aaa.2.devname=ath1     <= CHANGE TO ACTUAL DEVICE OF VIRTUAL AP
aaa.2.driver=madwifi
aaa.2.radius.auth.1.status=disabled
aaa.2.ssid=NEWSSID     <= CHANGE TO ACTUAL SSID OF VIRTUAL AP
aaa.2.status=enabled
aaa.2.wpa.1.pairwise=TKIP CCMP
aaa.2.wpa.key.1.mgmt=WPA-PSK
aaa.2.wpa.psk=PASSWORD     <= CHANGE TO REQUIRED PASSWORD OF VIRTUAL AP
aaa.2.wpa.mode=2

Edit 1:

To correct 'aaa.2.wpa.mode' item.

Hope that helps someone if they need it Man Wink
Anubis.

[ Edited ]

Anubis,, you are awesome.  Yes I agree, even if they would just build a small list in the GUI that showed the names of the other ESSIDs configured in the CLI that would be awesome.  It's literally one line of code and would very clearly indicate to people using the GUI that multiple ESSID's exist

Here's an interesting idea (in addition to giving us an indicator that multiple ESSIDs exist on the wireless tab).  In the advanced tab of the GUI provide us a very simple way to upload scripts.  Then a few fields to where we can put a name, description, and a "RUN" button.  It could be just like the traffic shaping interface where you put in parameters and click "ADD"

Then at any time we could go there and have a setup like this:

Name: Add ESSID: "TempNet"

File: addtempnet.sh

Uploaded: 11/14/2014

Notes: Adds the ESSID: "TempNet" to and bridges it to the main ESSID set in the GUI

Buttons here -->  "RUN"   "Download Script" "Upload New Script: "Delete" 

Lastly make this like a setting that remains during updates.

Zach

Kudos: 37

zsc100 wrote:

Yes, Yes, Yes.  Hell I bet there are enough people even on this forum to pay good money for an actual Ubnt employee to get this done.  I'd pay $100 right now, put that with 20 other people willing to do the same and if I was a programmer for UBNT I'd take $2k to spend a weekend giving the customers what they want Man Happy)

Zach

From a while UBNT stop listening customer's needs. VAP, CT mode and so on. Switch to MT, we already did. Maybe MT is more complicated, but they don't block features such as VAP or CT mode.

CTO at Webvisor Sp. z o.o.

5905-6425MHz WISP
Emerging Member
Kudos: 3

[ Edited ]

So, I got my test devices and tried Eggplants instructions above.

And like my previous experiances: It simply does not work. It works on older OS (5.3 I think) but not anymore on 5.5 !

The very first command gives a "wlanconfig: ioctl: Input/output error"

Just for the heck of it, I tried it not only interactive, but also as actual rc.poststart script (maybe timing could matter, or init process is uberpowerfull). But it does not work.

Eggplant: Are you running this on 5.5(.6) ?!?

If so, what else did you do (if you remember) to get this to work?

Is there maybe another config setting that you also have that helps? Can I have your full config please?

Thanks

Edit: I see AnubisSL also posted some stuff. Reading that now......

I did in the past also read a lot on config file tweaking, and it did not work for me then, but I'll give it a new try today Man Happy

Edit2: AnubisSL is awesome indeed!

It works!

The only problem with your instructions: "aaa.2.wpa=2" should be "aaa.2.wpa.mode=2"

Please tweak your post above so it works for others.

Now to figure out how to put the second AP in a separate VLAN and I am all set. But I think that should be easy, after all the GUI does have nice VLAN controls.

Kudos: 38
Solutions: 5

[ Edited ]

I just logging in to be 100% sure, Version: v5.5.6 XM.v5.5.6

# cat /etc/persistent/rc.poststart

wlanconfig ath1 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode ap

iwconfig ath1 essid XXXX

iwpriv ath1 ap_bridge 1

iwpriv ath1 wds 1

ifconfig ath1 up

brctl addif br1 ath1

ifconfig br1 up

XM.v5.5.6#

everything else is made in the GUI, VLAN id and BR1 also you must do a reboot from the cli or a cold boot for it to work.It will throw a "wlanconfig: ioctl: Input/output error" sometimes. You should be able to cold boot and type the lines just fine.

EDIT: added CRLF

Any news on Multiple SSIDs / Virtual APs front?

I have 10 Nanostation M2 and I need 10 more!

I'm thinking to buy "OTHER" equipment with Multiple SSIDs / Virtual APs support...

Please UBNT.......

Emerging Member
Kudos: 14

Lets get this rolling, c'mon

Kudos: 27

Its just a pissing contest now, theyve committed to not doing it

Any news?

Just to keep the thread alive Man Happy

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10394
Solutions: 1599

Veteran Member
Kudos: 735
Solutions: 23
Veteran Member
Kudos: 735
Solutions: 23

Ubnt team seem not to care to be fair they do have much bigger issues right now but not allowing a option that's already in its core I don't understand before they said it needed a kernal upgrade and did not want to deal with it 5.6.3 has a new kernal so maybe 5.7 firmware will get it?? Airos 7 seems to be the new thing though