Highlighted
Kudos: 1
Accepted Solution

Access point and wireless bridge

I am not sure if this is the right board to post this if not please direct me where to post it and please accept my apologise for my ignorance. I need advice in designing a way to get internet access from one building to another 90 feet away and clear line of sight. There is no duct and I am unable to use a catenary wire because of the different heights of the two buildings and a private road running between the buildings. Taking internet access to remote building. My intention is to connect one Nano Loco M5 as the station to an existing Belkin N600 DB wireless N+ router (Model F9K1102v1) situated in the loft of the main building, setup as an AP and connect via cat5 from a BT Hub 3 2.4GHz which is the main router at the end of the building and mount another Nano Loco M5 as a PtP as the client 90 feet away to feed a desktop pc and another AP for wireless. Installing wireless access to two floors in the main building. In addition I also require wireless access to two floors in the main building. 1. In conclusion I need advice whether the 2.4GHz Hub 3 will work with the Loco M5 5.GHz. 2. Which is the best equipment to use for both scenarios? 3. The best way to connect all equipment together. See sketches attached.
2017-07-22_21-59-21.jpg

Accepted Solutions
SuperUser
Kudos: 8528
Solutions: 1415

Re: Access point and wireless bridge

Best Ubiquiti equipment to use for a short link is

NBE-M5-16 or for much higher speeds at not

much higher cost, NBE-5AC-16 radios.    Dave

> HQ in Seacoast region New Hampshire U.S.A.
> Ubiquiti Certified Trainer [UCT] for:
     UBWA [AirMax] / UEWA [UniFi] / UBRSS [routers]
UBNT.NH@gmail.com

View solution in original post

All Replies

Other sketch showing existing AP installed.
2017-07-23_19-47-01.jpg
SuperUser

Best Ubiquiti equipment to use for a short link is

NBE-M5-16 or for much higher speeds at not

much higher cost, NBE-5AC-16 radios.    Dave

UBNT.NH@gmail.com

Thanks for your suggestion. I will be using one of those as I am told the Locom5 would be too powerful for such a short distance.
SuperUser

You're welcome. But this isn't about 'too powerful' at all.

For the NBE radios [or any radio pair], turn the rf output

down to about 10dBm for this short link.   Dave

UBNT.NH@gmail.com

[ Edited ]
Hi Dave, One thing I did not mention before is that this is for 2.4GHz system! I am still working out which radio to use and I think that I will go with your suggestion which is the NBE-M5-16. Would like to know if it would be preferable to fit lightning arrestors to each of the NBE-M5-16 antennae. I would also need specific instructions on configuring the NBE-M5-16 in the Air OS as PtP where one will be to transmit the signal from the LAN to the other NBE-M5-16 to connect it to an Access Point which has four ports so I can connect a pc wired Ethernet. What I do not require is for either of the NBE-M5-16 to be used as Access Point's where people can connect to. Will the NBE-M5-16 on the main building need to be configured as a Access Point? Will the other NBE-M5-16 on the receiving building need to be configured as a Bridge? Thanks
SuperUser

I understand you mean you want to extend WiFi service

somewhere, and you have an access point for that.

But it's not just an access point--it seems to be a

'router'--because it has multiple ports. But you need

to avoid using the 'router' portion.

These are radios--not 'antennae'. You'll find a basic

setup guide at    http://help.ubnt.com

If you want to avoid connections to these link radios,

you can hide the SSID, or you can use a non-standard

channel width--such as 30MHz--or both. If you use

NBE-5AC-16, no clients can connect to it in any case.   Dave

UBNT.NH@gmail.com

This is the configuration that we require as we need to connect another pc Ethernet wired in the remote building. We do need a router as an AP to connect other devices by Ethernet wired. So what you are saying that these radios cannot be used for what we require?
NBE-M5.jpg
SuperUser

I can't follow what these dotted lines of various

colors mean. I don't know what you mean by

'cannot be used...' I never said anything like that.

Consider a pair of radios linked together as shown

to be like a long Ethernet cable. Be sure to set the

Wireless option 'WDS (transparent) mode on in

both radios.   Dave

UBNT.NH@gmail.com

[ Edited ]
Hi Dave, I have redrawn the diagram explaining what each item represents and what I am trying to achieve. What I really want to do is that in the remote building 30m max. away I would need to connect a router as an Access Point and use it as such and in order to be able to connect a pc to it as well. That is why I need the router with 4 ports in the remote building. Bearing in mind that the BT router is only 2.4 GHz would a radio with 5GHz be suitable to use with the 2.4GHz router?
NBE-M5.jpg
SuperUser

I'm not sure if you've read everything I wrote

in prior posts.

> the radio link is like a long Ethernet cable

> this 5GHz link has nothing to do with any

of your other WiFi devices

> no: you need no lightning arrestors

> you can use the 'wireless router', but you

should not use the router portion of it.    Dave

UBNT.NH@gmail.com

[ Edited ]
So I can use the router but as an Access Point? I did not intended to use it as a router. Thanks for your help, please be patient with me I am trying to understand what you are saying but at my age it is sometimes difficult. Robert Man Happy
SuperUser

That's correct.   Dave

UBNT.NH@gmail.com

[ Edited ]
Hi Dave, After all that I have triad to work out and with your patience and help I am now told that the main pc in the office is running Windows XP, so I Know that AirMax/AirOS v7 and 8 System Requirements are • Microsoft Windows 7, Windows 8; Linux; or Mac OS X • Web Browser: Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, or Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 Is there a version that will run in Windows XP and work for the Ubiquiti NBE-5AC-16 NanoBeam AC Outdoor 5GHz 16dBi WiFi Point-to-Point Link Kit (450Mbps AC)? Of course I could connect my own laptop running Windows 8.1 to configure the NanoBeams and when finish the configuration I could then disconnect my laptop . Will this be a possibility to get around the office pc running Windows XP?
SuperUser

[ Edited ]

I think you misunderstand. These radios don't have any

external OS requirements to operate; they are totally

independent of any of your systems.

If you want to configure or monitor the radios, you may

need a computer that is enough up-to-date to run a

modern Web browser. Use any suitable PC for that.

You know what I need to say next: to run an office 'main'

computer on Windows XP is totally nuts. It has not been

supported for either system or security patches for years.

No business system that has any Internet service should

ever use Windows XP on any of its computers.

Most Windows XP computers aren't candidates for upgrade

to Windows 10; if you must, you may be able to upgrade to

Windows 7 32bit, but it's almost always a waste of money.

While your laptop may be suitable, it's also an obsolete

operating system; it needs an upgrade to Windows 10.   Dave

UBNT.NH@gmail.com

[ Edited ]
I fully agree with you about the office pc running Windows XP I have told them more times than I can remember to upgrade the pc but the woman administrator who does most of the work on it is just too stubborn and afraid of having to learn how to use a new OS and in particular having to give up Outlook Express! My home desktop is up to date running Windows 10, my laptop running Windows 8.1 I do not use very much there is no personal data on it. If the case comes that I have to configure the NanoBeams from Windows XP are there any instructions available? I would like to install the Ubiquiti Ubiquiti NBE-5AC-16 because the alternative is to run cat6 external cable across to the remote building on a catenary wire which would be more difficult. Thanks again for you patience and help. Robert
SuperUser

You can always try to use WindowsXP--just don't

depend on it working properly. But in most cases,

why bother to try? Just use your laptop--there is

no need to monitor a simple radio link in full-time.

Of course, you probably have an ethical obligation

to tell the admin that she is putting her entire business

at risk--and hand her some MS bulletins.    Dave

UBNT.NH@gmail.com

Thanks Dave, I think I will convince the powers to be to use my laptop to do the installation and then leave it like that as there is no one else that would need to monitor the system. As for the administrator I am sick of telling her that she needs to push to have their pc upgraded.
SuperUser

Welcome--I'd call that your 'solution'.  Dave

UBNT.NH@gmail.com

[ Edited ]
Hi Dave, I think I now know what the radios do and how to connect them up but I’m afraid I need to test you patience once more with how to configure them. I have watched the Ubiquiti Setting up a Simple Point to Point Link by Jamie which is very helpful except that I am still puzzled by a couple of things. My home network IP addresses; Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063] Ethernet adapter Ethernet: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.xx Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254 I do know that I have to set the pc Ethernet adaptor to static 192.168.1.21, subnet 255.255.255.0 and Gateway 192.168.1.20 and after finishing the setup for the two radios I need to change the pc Ethernet adaptor back to obtain an IP automatically and to obtain DNS automatically that I understand. On the first radio on the wireless tab do I have to set Wireless Mode to Access Point or Access Point WDS and on the second radio to Station or Station WDS? I know that in the Network tab of both radios Network Mode is Bridge. As for the IP addresses my question is do I have to enter Static IP addresses as 192.168.1.159 (or any within the range of 1 to 254 which is not in use already is this correct?) for the Access Point/Access Point WDS which is in the range of my network addresses and the gateway IP has to be 192.168.1.1 and AirMax enabled? For the Station/Station WDS radio Network Mode is Bridge and Static IP addresses as 192.168.1.160 (or any within the range of 1 to 254 which is not in use already is this correct?) and the Gateway IP must be 192.168.1.1? Now for the non-Ubiquiti AP that will be connected to radio Station/Station WDS what IP address and Gateway do I need to enter so that it communicates with the Station/Station WDS and hence to the internet? I would like to point out that the walls in the main building are a foot thick which is why we need the access point in room two just in case you were wondering why we need an access point in room 2! Thanks
Dia for Ubiquiti forum.jpg