AirRouter HP - Network | Firewall | Enable | it is now more protected?

Hi all, I was unable to answer this by searching the user's guide, and searching in the community forums. I have an Airrouter with v6.0 firmware. I understand that the NAT feature of the airrouter will prevent many types network attacks, due to the nature of how NAT works. But NAT is not a stateful firewall, so some types of address spoofing or other network attacks could get through.

btw, I have enabled (to block management access) the setting Network | WAN | block management access.

My question is this: in the airOS management gui, there is also a setting Network | Firewall | Enable. If I enable the firewall, but do not define any firewall rules below, then do I have just the level of security the same as if I had not enabled it? In other words, does enabling the firewall bring some additional stateful inspection or other security features? Or is it completely up to me to add security by figuring out what to put into the firewall rules?

Kudos: 5
Solutions: 1

Re: AirRouter HP - Network | Firewall | Enable | it is now more protected?

Thanks for asking, I have had the same question in my mind. My guess is that your supposition is correct but I don't know.

I have been debating doing this or installing a firewall appliance (one of those small boxes running pfSense).
Emerging Member
Kudos: 5
Solutions: 1

Re: AirRouter HP - Network | Firewall | Enable | it is now more protected?

Did this question ever get answered or figured out?

I just ran into this and have the same question.