Can I replace my DLINK DIR-655 with a AirRouter???

NEED TO REPLACE THE DIR-655

• Want to have parents' on the 192.169.0.1 network user printers on the 192.168.2.1 network (see image at bottom)
  • Ubiquiti Tech said I needed to create a hop on the dlink router to the printer IP address (ie 192.168.2.222)

• But the DIR-655 only allows WAN hops, not LAN hops

• SO…. I need to replace my DIR-655 with a Ubiquiti device that can create a hop for parents to print

• I prefer to use a Ubiquiti AirRouter so it can alo provide the wireless capability

• But, if AirRouter can't create the LAN hop... should I use an Edgerouter POE ERPOE-5 and add a Unifi Wireless Access Point???

THANKS!

ReplaceDLINK.png

Kudos: 28
Solutions: 11

Re: Can I replace my DLINK DIR-655 with a AirRouter???

If I were you, I would just put the EdgeRouter Lite where the home router is, and start using VLANs in the ToughSwitches and maybe getting a AC Lite AP or two. Then you can have multiple wireless SSIDs terminating in each own VLAN network.

Also then you simply create access rules in the EdgeRouter to allow access to the printer VLAN so everyone can use the printers from wired and wireless networks.
Highlighted

Re: Can I replace my DLINK DIR-655 with a AirRouter???

Thanks for the reply Peter... but I'd like to avoid changing anything that currently exists.  Only want to replace the home router in the simplest way possible.

Hope it's possible.