UniFi at Home

by on ‎11-12-2018 07:41 AM

This is an install that I did in a very rural location in central Alabama. The customer wanted cameras, WiFi, and a security system with smoke detectors. 

I used UniFi for everything except the security system, for which I used a SimpliSafe system (which has performed very well, by the way.)

I wanted it to be a very clean install because this customer is very concerned with aesthetics, so I went with an in-wall integrated media center, and ran everything to it. IMG_0468.jpeg

I ran extra Cat6 throughout the house so I can crimp it in the future if I need it. For now I just ran the slack down the left and to the underside of the cabinet. The coax is all centered in the attic which is where the HughesNet (yeah, I know it's awful but I kid you not when I say it was literally the ONLY option) modem is located. 

IMG_0469.jpeg

This is what the cabinet looks like closed up. 

I was concerned with the thermals of the system because of all the components being closed in to a box, but everything actually runs comfortably at around 60 degrees celcius, which (as far as I know) is well within range for these devices. 

I forgot to take pictures of the cameras and AP's but if I go back there soon I'll post them here. IMG_0468.jpeg

IMG_0468 2.jpeg

{"location":{"title":"Sweet Water, AL, USA","placeId":"ChIJmTKN4SQThYgRDcTntfM_8UE"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-in-wall-pro-wi-fi-access-point","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-lite","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-150w","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"182263i82940E2A545F0E71"}

Comments
by
a month ago

Love this set up, and I'm using this as the pattern to design my own home network closet.

Just curious, the blue power outlet found on the bottom left. I haven't seen those in blue before. Assuming this is a specialized GFCI outlet, how does this differ from a normal outlet?

by
a month ago

Q: Just curious, the blue power outlet found on the bottom left. I haven't seen those in blue before. Assuming this is a specialized GFCI outlet, how does this differ from a normal outlet?

A: It's a Surge-protected outlet.

Nicely done @sdaudet! (I'm a huge fan of the Structured Wiring/Media Boxes). Very clean.

by
a month ago

@sramboz @WiFi_E Thanks! I put alot of work in to it! 

@WiFi_E is right.. It is an outlet sold by Leviton (creator or the structured media box) that has some built in surge protection. I ordered this with the box, and then I ended up needing another outlet for the box because of some oversight during planning so I just pulled a normal duplex outlet from my warehouse. 

I'm going back to this location next week and I'm going to work on the power cabling a little bit more and get some more pictures.

by
3 weeks ago

What is the black box on top? Is that edge router?

by
3 weeks ago

Looks very nice @sdaudet!

Can you share the specific Leviton model number / SKU when you get a chance? Can't find one that matches exactly...

by
3 weeks ago

@jareknyc thats a UniFi NVR for the cameras.

by
2 weeks ago

@sdaudet what is the model number and brand of the structured media enclosure you used?  It doesn't look like the Leviton I've used in the past.

by
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@PhantomTypist It looks like a Primex box. 

by
a week ago

Very nice!