New Small Business location improved

by 3 weeks ago

Unifi setup for Small Business

One Unifi USG Pro4 Sucurity Gateway

One Unifi Switch 48 750W

One Cloud Key Gen2

Five UAP‑AC‑PRO 

This setup provides a very cost effective way to provide remote management for the small business customer.

Wifi Coverage with the Unifi Access Points is fantastic! They run 1 RokuTV, 4 Amazon FireSticks, 1 Sonos Z

This customers previous location before this was running a hodge podge of consumer grade equipment. I worked with this customer to give the new location an enterprise class system. The Unifi system came in very much under budget. Big smiles for the customer!

Netwok Switch is powering via POE, 5 VOIP Phones, 5 Unifi Access Points. Network is also handling 7 PC, 1 Server, 1 industry specific network device, 3 Network Printers.

IMG_20181019_172922963_HDR.jpgFront

IMG_20181019_172859178_HDR.jpgSide

IMG_20181019_172807106_HDR.jpgZoom out

IMG_20181003_202318495.jpgPrewire one

IMG_20181003_202304785_HDR.jpgPrewire Two

{"location":{"title":"Abilene, TX, USA","placeId":"ChIJRWkGKjmOVoYRX6kjIr_m2Qc"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-security-gateway-pro","count":1},{"id":"unifiswitch-48-750w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-pro-5-pack","count":1},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key-gen2","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"187499iF07690C116733F39"}

Comments
by
3 weeks ago

Very nice! Excellent setup! Very clean and professional looking!

by
3 weeks ago

Love how you put it all together. Professional job, indeed. 

by
3 weeks ago

Only a few things I would change.

1. I would have placed two 24-port switches instead of one 48-port. If one goes bad only half of the network will be down while you replace the bad unit. If the 48-port goes down the whole network goes down.
  2. Personally, I hate preloaded punch down blocks. You have to work them from behind which means if you add a line in the future you will have to take the punch down block out to add. I only use unloaded punch down blocks as you can easily add and troubleshoot lines in the future. 
  3. I would never place an AP in the data closet. Every wall you have to pass through will decrease your WiFi signal quality by half. The AC Pro and other UniFi AP's are best installed on the ceiling for the best signal strength.  

The wire work looks good, you have extra in the rack to work problems down the line. I do like a large loop of wire in the rack as I can always cut, but can never add. I did a similar rack layout and I have the extra loop making a full loop around the side of the case and into the punch down block. 

by
3 weeks ago

We always place APs in the data closet.  Not for regular customer access, but rather for helping us connecting while inside.

by
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

Thanks for the comments everyone. I do appreciate feed back on my work. It's a great way to improve my skills, and see how others would tackle the same project. 

Here is some more information that is lacking in the description and hard to tell from the pictures. 

1. I do prefer Keystone patch panels. However for this project I wanted to only use a 1U Patch panel. 48 port 1U Keystone patch panel is either none existend or double the cost. I like the one I chose though. It is a (N052-048-1U) Made by Tripp-Lite. The reason I like it is that it's modular. The top and the bottom separate from each other. Making it easier then most preloaded patch panels to work on. Is it as easy as a keystone patch panel to work on? No, but by leaving all the extra ports at the top module, and being an open frame rack, I felt this was good compromise. 

moduler 48 port patch.png

2. The Access point in the IT room. As I have 5 AP's in the building, and this one only services a small corner of the building I felt no need to ceiling mount this one. All the others are ceiling mounted throughout the building. The office uses I-pad's throughout the building and they have yet to find a slow or dead spot. If anything changes I will keep you posted. 

Wifi Layout.png

3. HA for switch's. I always debate this as I believe HA should be full fail over and not half fail over. I don't agree with half the network being up when a switch goes down. Plus it is kind of a crystal ball situation, will your critical systems be on the good or bad switch when one goes down. So I approach it this way, if a customer really needs HA then they can purchase true HA equipment. unfortunately Small business usually gets left in the dust when it comes to this due to cost. If anyone has a good solution for switch HA that does not break the bank for SMB then I am all ears.

Thanks Again for your feed back. Again I welcome any advice/feedback.

by
3 weeks ago

Hi there,

Thank you for posting your "New Small Business location improved"! Well tidy work!

Just have a quick question please, I would like to buy the exact rack and Patch panel like yours but cant find the rack on the web.

May I have have the list of all equipment used for the rack please? Including patch panel, rack and etc..

Thank you.

by
3 weeks ago

Here is a list of the items I used for the Rack

• Rack:Tripplite (SRWO12UHD) SmartRack 12U Heavy-Duty Flat-Pack Low-Profile Switch-Depth Wall-Mount 2-Post Open Frame Rack Link
  • Patch Panel: Tripplite  (N052-048-1U) 48-Port 1U Rack-Mount High-Density UTP 110-Type Patch Panel, RJ45 Ethernet, 568B, Cat5/5e, TAA Link
  • Rack Shelf: Tripplite (SRSHELF2P1U) SmartRack 1U Cantilever Fixed Shelf (40 lb / 18 kg capacity; 12-in. / 305 mm depth.) Link
  • Cable Management: NeatPatch (NP2K624) - NP2 Cable Management Bay With 24 Patch Cables Link
  • UPS Battery Backup: CyberPower (OR1500LCDRM1U) | Smart App LCD UPS Series Link
  • Power Distribution: CyberPower (PDU15B4F10R) | Basic PDU Series Link
by
2 weeks ago

Great job.  Very clean and functional.  You don't see the use of D-Rings much anymore but I like them.

Ron