Add more SFP ports to any UniFi POE Switch with new POE+ powered Active Media Converter

by 4 weeks ago

The operator team came up with this device, and while it's being marketed as a UFiber product, its is just as useful in the UniFi world by allowing you to quickly convert any POE+ port to an SFP port. 

It has a POE+ in ethernet port and an SFP port.  It also handles passive 24 POE in.

IMG_3573.jpg

Below I've used an 18 inch green patch cable from one of the POE+ ports on a crowded US-48 POE and made it into another SFP port.  

IMG_3571.jpg

You can use as many of these as you need.  If you need 15 SFP ports, buy a bunch of these and you're all set.  

If even works on some of the smaller UniFi Switches that don't have SFP ports

IMG_3581.jpg

The UFIber Active Media Converter is currently available in the Early Access Store.   

And being discussed here by @UBNT-Jordan s Edge Group

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UFiber-Active-Ethernet-Media/Welcome-to-UFiber-AE/m-p/2647344#M1

IMG_3578.jpg

{"location":{"title":"USA","placeId":"ChIJCzYy5IS16lQRQrfeQ5K5Oxw"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-switch-l2-poe","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-16-150w","count":1},{"id":"unifiswitch-24-500w","count":1},{"id":"unifiswitch-48-750w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-150w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-60w-b","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"191408iE7A51BF37981D7C3"}

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa
Comments
by
4 weeks ago

Awesome, I just ordered one and cant wait for it to get here.

by
4 weeks ago
  1. simple and genius. 
by
4 weeks ago

What's the point of this product?  Aren't we decreasing speed using this device?

by
4 weeks ago

@Jax001 If you need to run fiber to a device that doesnt have a fiber interface

so for example you can install a fiber sfp in to a US-24 connect it to a 900meter faiber cable connect it to UF-AE and have that powered by a US-8-60w.

by
4 weeks ago

... or powered by just about any POE brick

by
4 weeks ago

Interesting, a limited use case for sure.  There is no speed advantage in this and it's not really an sfp port.  Just another media converter with added latency, it is an interesting edge case where pulling fiber beats pulling sturdier cat6/7.

by
4 weeks ago

@Jax001   How could you be "decreasing speed" ??   This takes a 1-gig POE+ ethernet port and converts it to a 1-gig SFP fiber port.  

by
4 weeks ago

@ikesterhaney   It is an SFP port. Takes up to1-gig SFP.  I've used it with bidirectional and two strand. With LC and SC SFP's.

Cat6/7 only goes 100 meters.  Plenty of businesses need longer runs that need to be done with fiber, or now a days fiber is pulled to make things future proof.  

by
4 weeks ago

The added latency statement is wrong.  A media converter converts media, it doesn't process it.  There is nothing to late.

It's far from an edge case product.

When fiber cables become cheaper than copper it's a no brainer to use these.    There's loads of glass on this planet, copper is expensive.    Our Chinese fiber dropcables already cost less per meter than low quality cat6.

by
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@ClaudeSSis it manageable at all? 

This might be a dumb question but can it be powered by a power supply and have a fiber switch connect to a CAT 6 cabled device? 

This looks very cool, especially for the price. Thats not bad at all. 

As for the latency thing, wouldn't this be an additonal hop? Or is there no processing going on at all with the data? 

by

No.  It's plug, play and forget.

>This might be a dumb question but can it be powered by a power supply and have a fiber switch connect to a CAT 6 cabled device? 

You can power it with any POE enabled device, including the usual black or white POE power bricks.

>As for the latency thing, wouldn't this be an additonal hop? Or is there no processing going on at all with the data? 

There is no processing going on, there is no additional hop and no added latency.

Media converters are rather dumb devices, they basically translate electric waves into light and the other way around.

by
3 weeks ago

Thanks for the feedback @EDPR!

by

This idea sounds a little counter intuitive to the design and concerns of posters on the forum regarding topology as well as capability of the UniFi gear.

people say “don’t hop - use an XG switch for fiber” beacause apparently the gear gets shaky somewhere between 3-5 hops. Plus the issue of one device failure taking down everything down the chain - these are concerns pointed out to me by others when i ask questions about configurations like this.

These switches are so inexpensive that i think it’s worth just upgrading to a 48 port with two sfp+ 

The switches cant backplane on 10G fiber through a gig Ethernet link, i guess that’s why the 24 and 16’s don’t have + ports.

i see this can be done this way but it seems to me it’s not super worth it. Just spec 16’s with SFP. Maybe we’re encouraging bad topology with this suggestion here.

by
3 weeks ago

@streaksys 

It doesn't create an extra hop.

It is not a switch, it is not even a hub, it just converts media.

Two media converters with 1 km fiber between them will act like a single 10 cm copper patchcable.  Nothing more, nothing less.

They are usefull in a bunch of ways.  Most people will use them as endpoints with a fiber switch at the beginning.  With their low pricepoint they're also great for beginning with fiber.

Media converters with similar functionality have existed since the early days of fiber networking, 30-some years ago, long before the first fiber swicth ever saw daylight.

Today they're still useful in many situations.

by

THIS. I remember the conversation about these when the first Ufiber nano came out. The nano had such a compact form that was really unmatched, and changing the SFP to a cage seemed like a simple change to be able to use it as a basic media converter - one of those things you dont need until you really need it. I see alot of people gripping about a useless product, but those people apparently never needed to extend a line further than 300' and was left only with expensive alternatives or overkill products (ER-X-SFP) as the solution. This is a perfect addition to the lineup that in my opinion fills a small gap in their fiber networking products. I'm glad Ubiquiti decided on taking this route and to me means they're even more committed to filling all our fiber networking needs (especially after having the guts to jump into the OLT market). Nice and compact. Well done UBNT team. 

Now if you could find a way to fit a second POE-in port like on the F-POE, we'd really be cookin' Smiley Wink

by
a week ago

Nice device if you for instance need to connect to buildings. Just run fiber and convert it to RJ45 at both sides....

by
a week ago

Connect all your old Edgeswitch 5XP (TS-5-PoE) to Fibre - nice work! 

I guess these won't show up on UNMS though as they are unmanaged?

by
a week ago

Hello,

does F-POE-G2 the router do the same? 

(POE to SFP)

by
Wednesday - last edited Wednesday

@erolfr  The F-POE-G2 (which is the latest HW revision of the F-POE with better ESD protection),  is similar but different.

FPOE        UFiber Active Media Converter

Converts from Fiber to ethernet                     Yes                         Yes

24v Passive POE Power                                  Yes                         Yes

POE+ Power                                                          No                          Yes

Handles 1-gig ethernet                                     Yes                         Yes

Handles 100/10 ethernet                                  No                         Yes

Has DC in Power via terminals                       Yes                         No

Has DC In power via ethernet jack                 Yes                         No

Does 24v POE Out if DC Powered                 Yes                         No

Has lights showing ethernet speed                 No                          Yes

Has SFP Cage to handle 1-gig SFP               Yes                         Yes

by
Sunday

Hi, I'm having an optical interference problem, can anyone help me?

by
Sunday

You have a what?  Anyway, for support better post your questions in the forum, not over here.

by
yesterday

relax, just wanted to know if anyone has had this problem of optical interference

by
yesterday

@celsoamancio A fiber cable is like a tunnel or a water pipe.  There really isn’t the ability for one fiber signal to interfere with another anymore then the ability of one direct water pipe to interfere with another.