Comment
by
on ‎04-27-2015 12:16 PM

Great writeup, *but* as has been aluded to, the real world negates some of these results.  Over long distances, the RocketM5 has shown to be superior to the RocketAC-Lite for me as the M5 maintains usable throughput to lower signal levels.  The flip side, the AF5X is many times better at long distance plus noise than the RocketM5 or AC-lite.

A brief example is that I replaced an AC-lite link w/ an AF5X recently.  The AC-lite link actually performed worse than the RocketM5 link it recently replaced (about a month previous) only pulling in around 20Mbps aggregate across 13 miles.  The Rocket M5 was around 30Mbps aggregate.  The AF5X is 100Mbps aggregate on the same channel as the RocketM5 (5180) same 40Mhz.  The AC-lite was up in UNII3 for lack of access to 5180Mhz.

From my experience the AF5X is even more superior than the tests suggest, and that the RocketAC line's superiority falls off at around 6 miles and the RocketM5 takes over #2 spot.  I've helped install a B5 and a B5c and the owner of those is happy with them, but now that I'm running AF5X I wouldn't consider the B5*.

Jim, I think what your tests lack is variables.  Though an excellent test, your decouplers and attenuators are essentially static.  What the real world is throwing in the mix is the variability from random partial-duty cycle links for which my observations tell me the RocketM5 is beating the non-airprism AC-lite, and that the cambium epmp link accells at.  Still a fantastic test, but it's definitely 'lab conditions'