SuperUser
Kudos: 7345
Solutions: 415
Contributions: 1

2 sensors on terminal Block?

II'm going to hook a vacuum sensor to the TB this will not use the the 2 RTD ports.
Is it possible to wire in a temperature probe on the RTD ports at the same time ?
Walks in, tells it like it is, walks out , milks a cow
Veteran Member
Kudos: 5292
Solutions: 78

Re: 2 sensors on terminal Block?

As I understand it -- yes... but you'll have to write your own custom sensor file.
SuperUser

Thanks
I'll need to work on that custom sensor file.
I have no clue what to use for conversion and precision. As well as any other variables.
Veteran Member

So as I understand it. The RTD part would be the same as the default RTD values.
For the vacuume system you'll need to find out what kind of voltage readings it gives and then translate that in the config file.
Do you know what voltage ranges it gives out?
SuperUser

0 to 10 vdc I assume 10 vdc is at the max Vacuum it can detect witch is 14.5 For my system witch is suppose to be always at 13.5 +- 0.5 More - than +. So I figure it will be sending close to the 10 volt mark all the time when the system is running. The divider will knock that back to the required 2 volts.
I need it to update as often as possible.

I can also add a 120 to 12 vdc wall pack to tell the mport to turn on /off . But I'm scared of adding another wire to the Ground terminal from a different power source.
On the 120 side the power is the same source / in the same building. But the mport will be plugged into the wall /poe. And when milking I have a 120 VAC line that turns on only when milking. That line comes from the system control box. I could tap in to it with a wall wart.
SuperUser
Kudos: 7935
Solutions: 233

0 to 10 vdc I assume 10 vdc is at the max Vacuum it can detect witch is 14.5 For my system witch is suppose to be always at 13.5 +- 0.5 More - than +. So I figure it will be sending close to the 10 volt mark all the time when the system is running. The divider will knock that back to the required 2 volts.
I need it to update as often as possible.

I can also add a 120 to 12 vdc wall pack to tell the mport to turn on /off . But I'm scared of adding another wire to the Ground terminal from a different power source.
On the 120 side the power is the same source / in the same building. But the mport will be plugged into the wall /poe. And when milking I have a 120 VAC line that turns on only when milking. That line comes from the system control box. I could tap in to it with a wall wart.

You can add a wire from another ground source as long as you are using the proper gauge wire for the application and distance and it will actually fit in the terminal block, AFAIK.

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
link to our slack channel on the blog
SuperUser

You can add a wire from another ground source as long as you are using the proper gauge wire for the application and distance and it will actually fit in the terminal block, AFAIK.

If that is so , maybe I could run a 24 vdc line from the system control box. It's all 24Vdc With some lines ON during milking and off during wash. (I don't need to monitor the wash really )
The system is only on for 3 hours or so twice a day.
Veteran Member

What are you using for the divider? I've got a 0-10 volt device as well that I need to knock back.
SuperUser

forum.ubnt.com/showthread.php?t=60767 a few posts down A link to a calculator and Dave explained a few ways of doing it.
I won't have the Mport till mid next week. Then it's head down **** UP installing!!
Kudos: 2481
Solutions: 38

Alan, have you looked at the Arduino's? Vastly more capable in terms of sensors and IO, but you'd have to write your own interface. They are VERY cheap, you can get the Mega which has 54 digital IOs and 16 analog inputs for $59. They also have POE ethernet models for the same price with less IO.

Check out sparkfun.com or arduino.cc

I use them for home power monitoring, automation, robotic projects etc.
If it ain't broke, fix it anyway
To avoid the Gates of Hell, I use Linux
Professional Electron Wrangler
SuperUser

Those are some neat boards.
If I had the time to acquire the knowledge to write all the software required I could have a blast with this stuff.
I have 2 robot feeders in the barn now. 1 for corn and 1 for the round bails. I would rip the guts out of them both and rebuild them my way !
Alas, my brain as far as messing with scripts and software is sucking a glue stick.

There is always room for one more electronic gadget!
Kudos: 46

So true, so true!

So true, so true!

Creating, building, electronics, so many great hobbies.

Why does work keep getting in the way of my creativity?