Kudos: 22
Solutions: 1

AmpliFi

Everybody see the https://www.amplifi.com/ release from Ubiquiti and the talk about Internet of Things on the website.  I'm guessing this is the new "Controller" and the beginning of their entire IoT future plans.

Kudos: 166
Solutions: 21

Re: AmpliFi

Saw that and thought the same thing immediately.   Nice to see Ubiquiti putting out something that a less technical person could set up.  Offering it as an option to control IoT hardware could be solid but I personally like having my controllers on redundant hardware that I can snapshot, isolate, etc - maybe they could actually do both.   Having a 0-cost controller option was one of the things that led me to mFi instead of vera, smartthings, iris, wink, etc.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 4

Excited that Ubiquiti is about to implement the IoT, but I'm gonna miss mFi if they cancel it. It was definitely very useful for people who wanted to do non-streamline tasks such as triggering Unifi Video and things. But definitely it's still too early to say anything. 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 4

Update: I don't see mFi at all on the website anymore. 

Kudos: 134
Solutions: 12

@jayppatel1115 wrote:

Update: I don't see mFi at all on the website anymore. 

Or in the list of platforms in the community landing page. 

Kudos: 725
Solutions: 9

I see it showing the "air speeds" but hope it also shows the actual throughput going through. We're seeing almost 70% of a our support calls for "slow speed" lately due to customers maxing out all their subscribed throughput. If they could just see that themselves before calling and complaining, would save so much time

@wispwest wrote:

I see it showing the "air speeds" but hope it also shows the actual throughput going through. We're seeing almost 70% of a our support calls for "slow speed" lately due to customers maxing out all their subscribed throughput. If they could just see that themselves before calling and complaining, would save so much time

Absolutely! I tried to find a router that did that, and had to instead resort to an SNMP enabled router and a copy of a free solarwinds product to see the throughput in realtime. 

This DEFINITELY would fill a void in the industry so I hope the bandwidth view will be user selectable between Wifi and broadband. 

Check out mikrotik RB2011 already has a LCD touch display. You can configure it to read only I believe, and only show the WAN throughput. Also costs 1/2 the price of the cheapest Amplifi model

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Droid Turbo2

@wispwest wrote:
Check out mikrotik RB2011 already has a LCD touch display. You can configure it to read only I believe, and only show the WAN throughput. Also costs 1/2 the price of the cheapest Amplifi model

THanks but I had success with a USG3 and Solarwinds Real Time Bandwidth Monitor. Whenever I have a concern I simply open the interface in the solarwinds app and I see the last 10 minutes bandwith usage. 

For the average end consumer/customer though, installing SNMP software on their computer may be a bit over their head. Something like a simple fixed display on the router itself that shows real time throughput readings is what we need. All they know when they call is that their internet is slow as dial up, and we have to try and explain to them that 'something' on their network is hogging up all the bandwidth. And it's this same issue/resolution repeatedly all the time and a lot of the cases they don't know what's doing it, ending up being their kids or something downloading music or torrents, or heck anything streaming for that matter. Next time BEFORE they call, they could simply self-diagnose the issue first by looking at the router throughput display and seeing if their connection is maxing out before making a slow internet complaint

Kudos: 161
Solutions: 4

has anyone bought the Amplifi yet ?

Only the LR is currently shipping.

I ordered the baseline model yesterday but it says shipping in 2-3 weeks.

Kudos: 2

[ Edited ]

Found on Amazon!

https://www.amazon.com/AmpliFi-Home-Wi-Fi-Router-AFI-R/dp/B01L9O07FS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=14763830...

Ships in 1 to 2 months - Amplifi HD (HD Router only, with no extenders) for $149

For $68 more dollars, a local pro will come and setup the router for you - Shipped and Sold by AMAZON

I received my Amplifi HD and have been installed a couple of weeks.

Pros:

The setup was fast and simple

Worked easily with both of my ISPs

Simple smartphone app management

Range is excellent and tuning simple

Several firware updates already (see cons)

Cons:

No IPv6 support

Limited configuration options, advanced options are non-existant

Guest mode disabled when bridge mode enabled

No release notes for firmware updates

I was pretty unhappy with the cons, however, the product works great, and it should as the price is a bit spendy. Granted I am an advanced user I'd like to see a useable web infterface. Support indicated it was intended to only be simple. 

I've tested the signal levels from all loations in my home and my worst connection was 225Mbps (RSSI -82)and the best is 867Mpbs in line of sight with (RSSI -47) 10ft from mesh point. Large file transfer functions well

Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 11.10.12 AM.png
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1273
Solutions: 208

What exactly does the bridge mode do?

@ub40 wrote:

What exactly does the bridge mode do?

Im going to assume it makes the system operate like standard APs instead of isolating them behind a firewall. 

It makes it a layer 2 bridge device, so it passes all requests directly to the the next hop. In my case it passes everything to my firewall. Honestly it's probably good it disable it. The most recent update does now allow visibility of devices connected though the AP which is nice to check MIMO channels and tx/rx speeds. 

I recently setup an AFI-R and while I like the device and it's interface I am using only for my guest network right now; I require IPv6 for work which I do from home. The lack of IPv6 support is quite a big con for me and at present this missing feature is preventing me from using this as my primary device. While I would love additional advanced features, even if they were only available via SSH, my one requirement before using this as my daily driver is IPv6 support.

Kudos: 9

How's the wifi coverage from the AFI-R without mesh points? 

IMO it's been very good! I have a 2800sq ft home w/ a brick exterior. I have the router located in the middle of the home on the second floor and I have great coverage throughout the house. Outside the home the coverage is "OK" which is suspect is largely due to the bricks, though I will say the service is usable even if it's not fantastic.