Kudos: 78
Solutions: 5

Building an embedded mFi Operating system

Hi all, members/and UBNT team alike.

I am putting together a pre-configured mFi operating system for easy deployment called mFiOS. I want to A) make sure this is all okay with the UBNT team and B) introduce it to the community. Ive been installing mFi systems using small embedded PCS that work great and am offering to sell these devices preconfigured with mFiOS upon request.

So long as this is alright with the UBNT team, suggestions are welsome. The Website is live but not search engine indexed just in case i get a veto from the UBNT team. Thanks!

https://mfios.webnetvn.com/

webnetvn
(Ov3rwatch)

Network Technician, Linux Junkie, Ubiquiti Installer, Proud UBNT Shareholder
Kudos: 22
Solutions: 1

Re: Building an embedded mFi Operating system

Just an FYI that the mFi project has been declared dead by UBNT. That being said, I certainly like the idea of a standalone device. If you can also develop your own mFI software platform and reverse engineer all of the mFi devices, you'll have a lot of fans. There have been a few people on this forum working on reverse engineering the hardware in different ways. If you want to take the next step, buy the whole brand from UBNT and take the whole thing to the next level.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 37
Solutions: 3

Super, wonderful, forwardHurray

Kudos: 4

Fair play.  
Do you have a mailchimp or facebook page we can watch.
Just so I know when it goes live. 

Unfortunately on the backburner for the time being I still havent recieved an oficial yes or no from the Ubiquiti team and I don't want to release anything and end up having it bite me further down the line. If anyone is interested in testing, however, I dont see the harm in that. It would be an ISO/VM image. Feel free to PM me an email address and I'll send you a download link to the mFiOS build.

Kudos: 22
Solutions: 1

I think UBNT has decided to completely abandon mFi with no continued support of any development in-house. You're not modifying their system at all so I don't see a reason not to move forward with it if they don't give you a response. Now, maybe you're interested in purchasing all of the mFi assets from UBNT as well????

Howdy all. Apologies for the long long pause on this. It's been quite a while since i posted here and i recieved a good number of messages about this as well. unfortunately SuseStudio (where the VM and ISO were being developed) shut down before i had a chance to get a build working that i would consider stable enough to release to people (7/10 times the installation would still end up with a failure to launch mfi server) so my new plan has been to use Arch to roll a distro with a preset installation script to install a stable docker image instead. Ive been reaching out to a few of the other users who have ben trying to create stable images but havent gotten much feedback thus far. The project took a backburner to other more pressing jobs sadly and since this has been a spare-time project the progress has been slowe than iw ould have liked. after looking back i see ther eis a lot of interest so that has motivated me to redouble my efforest and i should hopefully have somethign worth testing within a relatively short time.