Kudos: 42
Solutions: 3

Can the MPort Serial???

I am trying to decipher if the MPort Serial does tasking where it will point a serial 232 stream to a specific IP address and port.
I have for past 2 years operated and support others in setting up Marine AIS tracking stations globally. The best method is to take the serial data at 232 or 485 out of a VHF receiver and stream it directly to the internet onward to the server in Europe. Wireless 232 serial devices are nice to use because they do the serial to TCP conversion and get it from your VHF receiver location to your router location with little effort. I have used AirBorne commercial devices with good success but see the UBNT as a possible maybe.
I have looked at documentation however cant see any programming for the serial side where it will actually point serial to an external ip address and port. Am I missing something??
"The floggings will continue until morale improves." Capt Bligh 1789.
SuperUser
Kudos: 7935
Solutions: 233

Re: Can the MPort Serial???

its made to operate with the mfi software
-sent via tapatalk

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
link to our slack channel on the blog
Kudos: 42
Solutions: 3

its made to operate with the mfi software

-sent via tapatalk

The 3 different Serial to Wireless IP converters I have used also work with software to monitor and manage however also allow for sending the 232 stream to a 3rd party IP and port TCP/UDP, simplex or duplex.

My interest is that 232 is legacy at best, and these devices are expensive; as much or more than a Marine VHF AIS receiver!!!

Think it might be reasonably easy for UBNT to add a soft feature where the 232 info off a device can be addressed to a 3rd party IP and port and the MFI be used to program and manage the converter. May pursue this as an upgrade request when the smoke settles on a new product line.
"The floggings will continue until morale improves." Capt Bligh 1789.
SuperUser
Kudos: 7935
Solutions: 233

The 3 different Serial to Wireless IP converters I have used also work with software to monitor and manage however also allow for sending the 232 stream to a 3rd party IP and port TCP/UDP, simplex or duplex.

My interest is that 232 is legacy at best, and these devices are expensive; as much or more than a Marine VHF AIS receiver!!!

Think it might be reasonably easy for UBNT to add a soft feature where the 232 info off a device can be addressed to a 3rd party IP and port and the MFI be used to program and manage the converter. May pursue this as an upgrade request when the smoke settles on a new product line.

You should be able to SSH into to an mport serial and pull up the console interface just like any other linux box. Would that work for you. The only problem with these currently as they are set to DHCP by default, with no GUI option to change to a static ip. You could do some scripting to overcome this limitation though.

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
link to our slack channel on the blog