Communications Protocols

First- I must say this looks like a very promising product line. I can think of hundreds of applications for my business. 'Great job' to the whole mFi team.

Second- will these devices work with any standard industrial communication protocols? I'm thinking specifically of Modbus TCP or BACnet. It would be very useful to control receptacles automatically from existing PLC systems I have deployed as well as monitor current draw.

Thanks!
Kudos: 75
Solutions: 1

Re: Communications Protocols

I have been waiting for such products to come out at a disruptive price point. I have seen the need for this for awhile and am glad to see UBNT has stepped up to the plate.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 6

Very nice and good question.

A.J.

Ubnt Banana
Veteran Member
Kudos: 5289
Solutions: 78

I *believe* that they do support standard PLC, but I could be wrong on that.
Kudos: 15

Maybe I misunderstood wavy arms man, but if the thing 'runs scripts' we can make it work with anything either pre-existing or yet to be dreamed up?
Veteran Member

Maybe I misunderstood wavy arms man, but if the thing 'runs scripts' we can make it work with anything either pre-existing or yet to be dreamed up?

My understanding - also correct. If the software doesn't do something you want it to, you can script it to execute a command when something is tripped or detected.

Do you have any inside knowledge on how that works (or indeed on pricing and/ or availability). Will be good to have 'proper stuff' and not be trying to reverse engineer Chinese boxes.

Is it also your understanding that the rs232 module can talk, and be talked to, by an external unit with serial - ie my own whacky microprocessor based sensors?
Veteran Member

Yes. I have some knowledge. The serial device can be used to talk to a serial port. (eg. Telnet into your Cisco serial port or the like)
Veteran Member

The shareholder newsletter said starting at $39 and a reseller told me shipping in July.
Kudos: 1

Here is to hoping the software can do OPC or Modbus TCP. I see a lot of applications we can use this.

Also, a virtual serial port for the serial device for legacy applications would be fantastic, digi and moxi charge quite a bit for theirs.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 47

I am also hoping that you guys add functionality for 3rd party control systems to read/write data between these units. TCP/UDP would be great (A simple api would be greatly appreciated).

Ryan
Emerging Member
Kudos: 1

In order to implement fast this solution Ubiquiti need to offer a 1 gang (2x4" electrical boxes) switches and dimmers to change to regular ones and control easiest the lighting.
Drivers to control other brands appliances using mPort serial??

In order to implement fast this solution Ubiquiti need to offer a 1 gang (2x4" electrical boxes) switches and dimmers to change to regular ones and control easiest the lighting.

From the software and the 'control box' approach I'm not sure domestic automation is the intended focus here (sadly as thats where the volume is probably at).
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1927
Solutions: 142

lighting control

From the software and the 'control box' approach I'm not sure domestic automation is the intended focus here (sadly as thats where the volume is probably at).

There's nothing particularly domestic about box-mounted electrical devices. Lighting control for offices, conference rooms, etc. will need either a standard single-gang device form factor, or some kind of design which couples to a junction box like these do.