Kudos: 15

Comparitive pricing - vs existing.

From Streakwave:
Mport $79
Ceiling PIR $42
Install cables etc $5
Install time $20
Total: $146 .... and a lot of cables on the walls, ceilings and a power socket used up.
Self contained wirless PIR, battery powered, http://www.screwfix.com/p/lightwaverf-wall-mounted-wireless-pir-white/77828 $30 RETAIL (ex sales tax)
For widescale adoption, in non industrial situations, I still think we need really low cost wireless (not necessarily wifi) battery sensors
Established Member
Kudos: 51

Re: Comparitive pricing - vs existing.

Self contained wirless PIR, battery powered, http://www.screwfix.com/p/lightwaverf-wall-mounted-wireless-pir-white/77828 $30 RETAIL (ex sales tax)

This device requires some kind of master controller, right?
Kudos: 139
Solutions: 12

Competitive?
Kudos: 8

Well I agree that the sensors should be wireless. I mean the motion sensors and temperature sensors look plenty big enough to have wireless built in to them. Of couse that would increase the cost some but I think it would be worth it if it only increased the cost of each sensor by $10-$20.

Well I agree that the sensors should be wireless. I mean the motion sensors and temperature sensors look plenty big enough to have wireless built in to them. Of couse that would increase the cost some but I think it would be worth it if it only increased the cost of each sensor by $10-$20.

Agree'd i thought when i saw them the mFi sensors were wifi as well if they aren't thats depressing greatly.

This device requires some kind of master controller, right?

They do, essentially some kind of alarm panel - which costs from around $60. No, it isnt web enabled or Ethernet (without some home hacking) but it shows that a battery wireless sensor can meet that price point - saving twice over in equipment cost and install effort.
Kudos: 2

Here's another product for example...
www.gokeyless.com/product/1722/5/zwave-ezmotion-sensor
$80 motion sensor that communicates via Z-Wave, detects light, motion, temperature and reports back - a MiCasaVerde for $200 can receive these, unlock your doors, talk to your security system, etc - and not a single wire on the wall or device plugged into an outlet.
Veteran Member
Kudos: 5290
Solutions: 78

Give it a few months of 'live' equipment. I bet you someone will come out with hi-cap battery packs for these units with WiFi built in. Then it will be fully wireless.

Give it a few months of 'live' equipment. I bet you someone will come out with hi-cap battery packs for these units with WiFi built in. Then it will be fully wireless.

You cant do wifi by battery - the protocols spend too long handshaking and exchanging rubbish all the time that they would sink the battery too quick.

Wireless sensors work by sleeping 99% of the time, then coming on for a fraction of a second, then sleep again.

What might be possible as a fudge is to build a receiver for existing low power PIRs and contact closures connected onto either the RJ45 / serial / contact inputs on the mPort and simply use that as a bridge. We do this already using the serial ports on Bullets (and various other routers) to talk to little microcontroller based sensor boards. ie

battery powered sensor + 434Mhz transmitter ----> 434 receiver+ microcontroller with serial ----> bullet serial port -----> 5.8G to data centre miles away