Kudos: 6
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

Could not open the controller software through browser

Hi,

I am newbee here. I am starting to set up my house with mFi devices like wall outlets and switches for now. To control them on website I have found Controller software. Now I could not understand is there any device or hardware which is called "controller"? When I got the conttroller installed, and launched the browser, I am getting a private IP address with 6443 port like https://192.168.3.57:6443/manage. But nothing opens up. I thought there will be blank interface atleast. Am I missing something?

I am using Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit. 4GB RAM, 103GB free of 238 GB on hard disk.

Thanks in advance

Untitled.png
Untitled1.png

Accepted Solutions
SuperUser
Kudos: 7280
Solutions: 415
Contributions: 1

Re: Could not open the controller software through browser

Go to the control panel and open the java program.  Click about button.

You need version 7  not version 8 .

If this is the case install version 7 64 bit !

Then I suggest since mfi is not working at all for you , to un install it , reboot and re install mfi.

If it still fails to load check the shortcut for mfi , see that the java instance it points to is actually Version 7 in the program files folder.

Walks in, tells it like it is, walks out , milks a cow

View solution in original post

All Replies
SuperUser

Go to the control panel and open the java program.  Click about button.

You need version 7  not version 8 .

If this is the case install version 7 64 bit !

Then I suggest since mfi is not working at all for you , to un install it , reboot and re install mfi.

If it still fails to load check the shortcut for mfi , see that the java instance it points to is actually Version 7 in the program files folder.

Previous Employee
Kudos: 759
Solutions: 334
Contributions: 16

Hi and welcome to the community,
Can you access the controller from https://127.0.0.1:6443 ? Please make sure the window is up that says the controller is running.

Happy Holidays!
Devin B.

Hi,

I had to spend half day on this. Anyway I will update all the events and findings.....

Initially I had version 8 Java. Changed that. But still windows registry has 1.8. So need to uninstall complete Java and reinstall 1.7. Uninstalled mFi software,rebooted, reinstalled the mFi controller software.

The default IP address the database is using is https://192.168.3.57:6443/login. But not secure.

I did not seethe loopback IP address?

Untitled2.png
Untitled3.png
SuperUser

So it's working for you now?

The certificate is not updated, everyone's is the same. And I for one have never bothered to try and change it. I just use firefox most of the time and added the server as a trusted site.

@alan87i wrote:

So it's working for you now?

The certificate is not updated, everyone's is the same. And I for one have never bothered to try and change it. I just use firefox most of the time and added the server as a trusted site.

The PC IP address is that one which I am accessing now. I can see interface and have to start adding all the devices.

But for info by April 2015 Java 7 is no longer supported by Oracle.

Thanks for the help.And I see easy programming steps for different sensors.

Kudos: 5

Right... this is the problem that we face too.  We're not going to run unsupported Java 7.  Worse, we have mFi installed on a management PC where we also have the UniFi controller installed.  UniFi won't run if Java 7 and 8 are installed on the same machine.

Please, Ubiquiti, keep up with modern Java or create a controller version that doesn't have this dependency.

I am having the same problem.  I installed an mFi wall outlet and was able to download the mFi Controller software, but when trying to launch a browswer from the controller software the browser fails to launch.  It attempts to open the following address: https://10.0.0.9:6443/manage, but I get a "webpage is not available" message from the browser (both Chrome and IE).

I am hoping there is an easy (i.e. no need for advanced computer settings and dowloading unsupported versions of java) solution to this.

Hi,

Is 10.0.0.9 is the host computer where controller installed? Or you should be on the same subnet unless you open the ports on the router and in admin you have to enable remote. I am thinking that you are on same computer where controller installed! Just remember port 6443 is used to manage the controller. Port 6080 is used to talk with switches, I think!

THANK YOU!!!!! This helped me.

Kudos: 5

I'm using Java 8 update 66, Windows 8.1 64-bit.  The 2.1.11 mFi controller software starts with no issues, but browsers time out on trying to access https://x.x.x.x:6443 (x.x.x.x being the local computer IP... also tried 127.0.0.1).

Is mFi controller software, last updated April 2015, still not supporting Java 8?

Hi,

@7FootElvis wrote:

I'm using Java 8 update 66, Windows 8.1 64-bit.  The 2.1.11 mFi controller software starts with no issues, but browsers time out on trying to access https://x.x.x.x:6443 (x.x.x.x being the local computer IP... also tried 127.0.0.1).

Is mFi controller software, last updated April 2015, still not supporting Java 8?

mFi controller or any of the ubiquiti devices designed not on Windows. It is designed using various platforms which are easy to program with. OpenJavajdk is used to program these. Hence it is Java 7 and Java 8 does not work.

May be this helps.

SuperUser

Correct regardless of what OS your using java 7 or jdk7 is the only version supported.

I am still having this issue, anyone else figure it out? I have tried changing ports, etc.

Remove Java and clean up the system and install Java 7 (java 1.7) and install mFi afterwards. Then it should work on Windows!

Kudos: 1

I have the same problem, I'm running Java 8 which is needed for Unifi!

Unifi 4.8.12  needs version 8

mFI needs version 7

Please advice, what to do?

I had to downgrade to a previous version of Java.

[ Edited ]

I got a new mPower Pro today, and try to install the controller on my windows 10 PC,

I have Java 1.8.0

using chrome Version 65.0.3325.181 (Official Build) (64-bit)

when I click the "Launch a Browser to Manage the Network", it goes to 

https://192.168.92.1:6443/manage

spinning for a long time and give me "

This site can’t be reached"

I tried local address 127.0.0.1 and also try all other ip address on my PC, none of them work.

how I should fix this?

Kudos: 2

I tried in Windows 7, Windows 10, Windows Server 2008 but it doesn't works. I used Java 8 and Java 7 and it's the same: "This site can't be reached" It's real that since 2014 this continue without some workaround?

mFi.png
Emerging Member
Kudos: 36

Like member cndesu, I am also using mFi in my home. Initially, when I only had a few mFi devices, I just connected to each device with a web browser. I could do that on a computer or on IOS device. I could see how much power each device was using, turn ports on and off, and schedule ports to turn on and off at specific times. As I got more interested I have purchased more and more mFi devices and decided I should try using the mFi controller to more easily manage my mPowers. I gave up on trying to run the controller on Windows. I run the mFi controller on a older small desktop (originally Windows) by installing Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. That computer runs nothing but the mFi controller because I realize that it must run older version of Java and an older version of the MongoDB. I wish I knew enough about programming to be able to make modifications to Java 7 code in the mFi controller so it runs with Java 8, but I don't. I am happy that I have been able to learn enough about Linux to get mFi running!