Highlighted
Kudos: 17

Every 5 min mFi tells a switch and a mPort Output to turn on for a few seconds???

[ Edited ]

Every 5 min mFi tells a switch and a mPort Output to turn on for a few seconds... The switch is connected to a heater (hockey-rink style gas, with electric start and fan), and the mPort Output drives a 24v relay - which starts a gas heater with electric fan.

Obviously it's not ideal to cycle units like that for only a few seconds.

This just started yesterday after I added additional rules and schedules - so that there are different temp settings for when the store is open vs closed.

Here's a graph showing the issue:

Why does it come on every 5min for a few seconds.jpg
SuperUser
Kudos: 7315
Solutions: 415
Contributions: 1

Re: Every 5 min mFi tells a switch and a mPort Output to turn on for a few seconds???

Please post a screen shot of all the rules you have for this sensor and one of the schedule. 

I'll have a look in a few hours. 

Allan 

Walks in, tells it like it is, walks out , milks a cow

Re: Every 5 min mFi tells a switch and a mPort Output to turn on for a few seconds???

Interesting Observation: the problem does not happen at night!

I have attached the rules for one of the heaters that is having issues.  the second heater's rules are essentially the same, with slightly different temperature settings.

During the night -everything is fine.jpg
FG-F1 - Center - Rules.jpg
Open Sched.jpg
Closed Sched.jpg
SuperUser

One thing I see is your using LEVEL trigger ,  That works but it has the rules as you have them now matching all the time.  Or most of the time. Which means  on this rule you have less than 20.5 c for 0,.25 minutes,and a schedule.  

So during the schedule as long as the temp is less than 20.5 c  mfi will send the on command every 0.25 minutes.  Sometimes that causes mongo issues. 

One thing that will help out all around is in each rule add in the same device your turning on or off. In the state that's opposite of your action. 

IE : the action is to Turn ON a heater.  Add this same heater to your rule in OFF mode.   To help lower the risk of flapping , set off for longer than 1 minute. 

NOTE. 

The schedule is buggy.  Why I think you see devices turn on for no reason sometimes.  

When a rule with a schedule is matched the system sends at this exact time the end time of the schedule to the mpower/ ports. So if your rule action is to turn on when matched between 1 and 6 PM  At 6 PM  most often the action device will auto power OFF. Mad2

A work around I sometimes use is , remove the schedule from the rule and make a new rule with only the schedule and the action is enable rule X .  Then I also leave a catch all rule with no schedule when dealing with temps.  It's always on  , when temp is above y action ON or OFF. Y being a value above or below what I use in my rules by 1 degree or so. Sometimes I also use for longer than 1 minute with it. 

Another note.  I use several rules , no schedule with temps and mpowers running fans.  I always use edge trigger.  Seems to work well. 

Allan

Thanks Alan!

I have removed the 0.25 min, and changed to "Act Immediately".  I also removed the schedule from the conditions.

I also created a Rule that uses the schedule to turn the other rules on & off.

So far, it has fixed the issue with cycling every 5min.

I'm interested to see what happens when the store closes - if the OPEN rules turn off, and the Closed ones turn on

Looking good so far.

You can see the difference!

After the changes.jpg
Emerging Member
Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

I'm having the same problem. Its exectly 5 minutes. Can you please explain your comment below futher? Thanks

One thing that will help out all around is in each rule add in the same device your turning on or off. In the state that's opposite of your action. 

IE : the action is to Turn ON a heater.  Add this same heater to your rule in OFF mode.   To help lower the risk of flapping , set off for longer than 1 minute. 

Emerging Member

SuperUser

@knightscove wrote:

I'm having the same problem. Its exectly 5 minutes. Can you please explain your comment below futher? Thanks

Hello 

What that means is when you make a rule  where the action is to turn on the device named XYZ. 

On the left side where your  conditions are , add the device XYZ as a condition is OFF. 

If I recall the 5 minute bug is coming from having a schedule in one of the rules.   Logic fights against logic sometimes.  When a rule with a schedule is executed , the schedule time /s is sent to the mpower. So it knows to do X at y time , in case the controller drops off line or the network drops.  Now if you have another rule that perhaps counters the logic of the schedule already loaded tin the mpowers memory.  You will have a fight between the two. 

Emerging Member

Thanks, it was a schedule conflict. Schedules seem to send an OFF command every 5 minutes. You cannot control the same device with two rules using schedules. Have to combine them,

On that note, I love mFi and just purchased some more hardware. Have you found any good alternatives? 

Thanks