Veteran Member
Kudos: 5290
Solutions: 78

Excited to Get These!

I'll admit I'm excited to get my hands on these (rumor from a distributor has it near a July shipping time).

We've got a bunch of legacy contacts and voltage measurements in our cell network that will benefit from being automated (as opposed to having to send a tech out to each site every month to record values).

Not to mention the automation and contact reporting.
Kudos: 72
Solutions: 1

Re: Excited to Get These!

Same here! I've been looking into X10 and Insteon for a small automation project, but this new line seems better!

8 switchable and monitorable AC outlets? Sign me up!

Great work Ubiquiti! Keep it up!
Veteran Member

Indeed.. and wifi enabled. I will be putting these throughout my home.
Kudos: 15

Are you reading this that all the sensors are wifi, or the basic ones like mag door sensor are something simpler (eg OOK 434 or something?)
Veteran Member

The simpler sensors need to be connected to the mPort device.

The small sensors (PIR, Door contact) arent themselves wireless?, so (for example) every door needs a sensor (say $20?) and a $40 mPort? That soon adds up, surely not?
SuperUser
Kudos: 7932
Solutions: 233

The small sensors (PIR, Door contact) arent themselves wireless?, so (for example) every door needs a sensor (say $20?) and a $40 mPort? That soon adds up, surely not?

Do you know how much it costs conventially to do that before mFi showed up?

Try $xx,xxx for a small office

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
link to our slack channel on the blog
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1906
Solutions: 29

Yeah. A couple of hundred dollars is nothing compared to thousands.

You can't expect to get it for free.
Not getting the answers you wanted? Check out this link --> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html -- I need a thumbs down button!
Previous Employee
Kudos: 147
Solutions: 16

Sensors are not wifi. mPorts are. Sensors are plugged into mPort via RJ45 connectors. The door sensor connects to the terminal block of mPort.

Not true - there are plenty of low cost wireless PIRs and door sensors available, at maybe $15-20 for a PIR, less for a simple reed. Also being wireless a lot less cabling (data and power). The panels exist as well, albeit not with simple Ethernet integration.

True not with major software integration like this may have, but cheap and does the job.

My only thought is with the complexity and cost this isnt a product that will take the simple '2 PIRS and 3 door sensors' simple alarm jobs that could be an easy add on to existing wireless / CCTV clients. Sure it will be great for more complex scenarios, if the software is up for it (and the client trusts the brand).

Sensors are not wifi. mPorts are. Sensors are plugged into mPort via RJ45 connectors. The door sensor connects to the terminal block of mPort.

mPort we think is $40 - how much for the PIR or reed?
Veteran Member

A $15 door sensor requires you running cable back to an alarm block.
This doesn't. The $15 door sensor also doesn't get you the mFi automation software.
This is probably the wrong application for this software and hardware if all you want to do is alarm three doors.
You are killing a fly with a bulldozer.

A $15 door sensor is wireless. Your 100% right on the software though, lets hope its good enough to make the overall deal sellable. If you are automating a $5 million building (your bulldozer to my fly) then you will need credibility to sell to the architects / money people.
Kudos: 133
Solutions: 1

Parts of mFi are pretty exciting, such as the AC Current and power switching devices.

However, the door sensors leave something to be desired.

a 2 port mFi device looks to be $80 on DR's website. Plus $10 for the door sensor.

Compare that to the Maxim-IC 2-Wire system. I can hook up door/window sensors for about $10/each where each sensor has a unique serial number so I know down to the window/door that's been violated, not just a "zone".

Furthermore, all this is done on a 2 wire bus, where I can connect hundreds of devices to a single controller, only running a 2 wire bus around the premises, rather than 4 pairs of CAT 5 to each "zone".

I can do the same thing with a motion sensor. Using a standard dry contact PIR motion sensor, I can pair it with Maxim-IC 2 wire sensors (about $2) connecting it to the same 2 wire bus, and I get feed back down to the device level for half of what an mFi sensor would cost.

There was no reason why UBNT couldn't have done something similar, giving each device a small IC with a serial number to uniquely identify each sensor.

Using the UBNT method, each zone now requires an mPort. I only see 2 port mPort devices, so am I going to need dozens of these things scattered around an office to make it work?

I think UBNT needs to go back to the drawing board on their sensor system. There's been better ways to do this for 20+ years.
Kudos: 68

Parts of mFi are pretty exciting, such as the AC Current and power switching devices.

However, the door sensors leave something to be desired.

a 2 port mFi device looks to be $80 on DR's website. Plus $10 for the door sensor.

Compare that to the Maxim-IC 2-Wire system. I can hook up door/window sensors for about $10/each where each sensor has a unique serial number so I know down to the window/door that's been violated, not just a "zone".

Furthermore, all this is done on a 2 wire bus, where I can connect hundreds of devices to a single controller, only running a 2 wire bus around the premises, rather than 4 pairs of CAT 5 to each "zone".

I can do the same thing with a motion sensor. Using a standard dry contact PIR motion sensor, I can pair it with Maxim-IC 2 wire sensors (about $2) connecting it to the same 2 wire bus, and I get feed back down to the device level for half of what an mFi sensor would cost.

There was no reason why UBNT couldn't have done something similar, giving each device a small IC with a serial number to uniquely identify each sensor.

Using the UBNT method, each zone now requires an mPort. I only see 2 port mPort devices, so am I going to need dozens of these things scattered around an office to make it work?

I think UBNT needs to go back to the drawing board on their sensor system. There's been better ways to do this for 20+ years.

That's why I'm really amazed at how crazy people are going over this solution as the end-all/be-all to home automation. The problem is I don't think it is - the way the sensors cable back to an mPort which must be powered kinda kills it, of course combined with the cost.

In comparison, look at a very popular product right now: ionsecurityproducts.com/products.html These are small, battery powered (battery lasts about 5 years) and they cost about $30/each, and come in flavors to suit any major alarm brand. I have them on all my exterior and interior doors so I can track movement inside my home (turn on lights for my young kids, etc). For motion sensors, if you're going to put them on the wall, wouldn't you want them to work for security as well? I would!

That's why I want a system where mFi can interface with other systems... so I can use the software and the power monitoring/control tied in with the very powerful and much more appropriate home automation system I already use.

mFi for detection of movement/contact sensors is NOT revolutionary - in fact I think it's decades behind of what's already in place. What *IS* revolutionary is their line of power monitoring and control devices - and that's what I can't wait to get my hands on!