Kudos: 42
Solutions: 3

Hows Current Sensor Work??

Im pretty knowledgeable in the old reliable Amp Probe clip on current measurement test equipment. Used it for years in load balancing in large facilities. It required that you clip the device around the hot conductor only and it gave accurate reading of current in that leg. For measuring an outlet connected device, it had an accessory where you plugged it into the outlet then the load was connected to the accessory and the accessory separated the hot and neutral and you could get the Amp Probe around the hot only. Cant remember, but believe if you hooked around both hot and neutral, you either got no reading or an inaccurate one.

Appears that the UBNT Current Sensor has someway solved that issue as it appears to clip around both hot an neutral. I note at Lowes have the Amp Probes which have worked the same as for past 30 years and still must be around hot lead only.
"The floggings will continue until morale improves." Capt Bligh 1789.
Veteran Member
Kudos: 5292
Solutions: 78

Re: Hows Current Sensor Work??

Where did you get the idea you can clamp it around the hot and neutral? This is definitely not the case. Pick one or the other. If you do both you'll get a reading of 0.
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1973
Solutions: 152

This is not an "issue" that can be "solved."
It is basic physics.
Kudos: 42
Solutions: 3

This is not an "issue" that can be "solved."

It is basic physics.

Yes, my mistake was going by the visual and not reading into the Quick Start Guide before posting. For attaching to power panel legs and places where the hot is easy to get to this will be a great little tool. However I see it useful for checking load at an outlet and think that at some point UBNT might come with an accessory to plug into an outlet and then into the load where you can easily clip the sensor on. I never saw opening an outlet or stripping off outer insulation very inviting. I have probably made up 10 plug to receptacle with 4 inches of stripped romex jury rigs because my comrade techs would lift the quick connect accessory. I do see them on Amazon for 12 bucks but not sure the Ubnt will fit around it - Kind of fat.
"The floggings will continue until morale improves." Capt Bligh 1789.
SuperUser
Kudos: 7935
Solutions: 233

Lol you haven't seen an mpower huh? Man Tongue

http://www.streakwave.com/items.asp?Cc=mFI

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
link to our slack channel on the blog
Veteran Member
Kudos: 5292
Solutions: 78

Lol you haven't seen an mpower huh? Man Tongue

www.streakwave.com/items.asp?Cc=mFI

Has anyone? They are elusive!

Mpower / furrent monitor

UBNT: Is there any plan to add a voltage sensor to make more reasonable power measurements?

I tried the current sensor with a Harbor-Freight heat gun. With a full resistive 12A load, the sensor seemed OK. Switching to half-power (a series diode) changed the waveform to a half-wave causing the sensor to indicate MORE current. The sensor may be OK for relative measurements of resistive loads, but its not useful with loads that have a low power factor (an air-conditioner for example). There's no compensation for line voltages or for out-of-phase current.

Overall, I love the mFi concept, but there's a lot of room for improvement in the implementation. Good work so far. Improve it and third-parties like DLI will gladly help make accessories.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 375
Solutions: 31
Contributions: 6

UBNT: Is there any plan to add a voltage sensor to make more reasonable power measurements?

I tried the current sensor with a Harbor-Freight heat gun. With a full resistive 12A load, the sensor seemed OK. Switching to half-power (a series diode) changed the waveform to a half-wave causing the sensor to indicate MORE current. The sensor may be OK for relative measurements of resistive loads, but its not useful with loads that have a low power factor (an air-conditioner for example). There's no compensation for line voltages or for out-of-phase current.

Overall, I love the mFi concept, but there's a lot of room for improvement in the implementation. Good work so far. Improve it and third-parties like DLI will gladly help make accessories.

mPower can read power, power factor and voltage. And it's much more accurate with non-linear and low power factor loads.

Thanks Randy-
Have some on order with our friends at Streakwave. Really looking forward to trying mPower when it ships. Still scheduled for October?
-Martin
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 375
Solutions: 31
Contributions: 6

Thanks Randy-
Have some on order with our friends at Streakwave. Really looking forward to trying mPower when it ships. Still scheduled for October?
-Martin

Not sure when exactly they'll start coming off planes and boats, and arriving at distributors, but I know they do exist - so should be soon.
Ancient Member
Kudos: 5969
Solutions: 128

mPower can read power, power factor and voltage. And it's much more accurate with non-linear and low power factor loads.

Except with a Harbor-Freight heat gun. Man Happy
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"
Well engineered projects are indistinguishable from crazy ideas.

Speed, distance, reliability, cost...Pick three.
...World's First Ubiquiti AirMax WISP....