Veteran Member
Kudos: 1933
Solutions: 142

Ins and Outs

I see a lot of wishlist items with very specific requirements. Rather than reply to those in each individual thread, I thought I'd post I/O specs from a BACnet controller we sell:
Universal Inputs

• 12-bit A/D converter
  • Soft selectable: 0-10 VDC, 4-20 mA, thermistor/dry contact
  • Impedance:
  • . 3M Ω on 0-10 VDC range
  • . 250 Ω on 4-20 mA range
  • . 20k Ω on thermistor range
  • 40 Hz pulse counting (supports flow meters)
  • 24 VAC over-voltage protection

Universal Outputs

• 12-bit D/A converter
  • Analog: 0-12 VDC
  • Digital: 0-12 VDC
  • Output power: 75 mA @ 12 VDC
  • 24 VAC over-voltage and short protection
  • Jumper selectable TRIAC

All quoted ranges are maximums - anything within those limits (as well as lin/log response curves, thermistor type, lookup tables, etc.) are software configurable.
The industrial and building controls manufacturers have been doing this sort of stuff for decades - no reason to reinvent the wheel (or make your products' capabilities unnecessarily limited.)
Kudos: 15

Re: Ins and Outs

My guess would be that interfacing to these is considered 'too technical' relative to a pre-boxed movement / door / temp range that integrates with in-house software. I suspect its not the market they want to be in.
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1933
Solutions: 142

Fair enough.

Merely pointing out that if they eventually plan to support contact closure inputs and one or more of the requested {larger current sensors, alternate range temperature sensors, pressure sensors, etc.} the same controller circuitry is capable of supporting literally thousands of sensor options.
Kudos: 15

Merely pointing out...........

Agreed 100% - I'd love to see a little cottage industry spring up integrating all sorts of weird and wonderfuls. But is the software felxible enough? we shall see ...