SuperUser
Kudos: 7345
Solutions: 415
Contributions: 1

MFI Installed and working

So I have 3 mports in the Dairy! And a toughswitch.
1 Has a prosense vacuum sensor, an RTD and A current sensor
#2 has a current sensor and the THS temperature sensor
#3 has the motion sensor only for now.
And a pico station in the barn.

Plans are to swap in a new RTD probe and hope it is more accurate then the current one I'm using.
Add someday another RTD to keep an eye on the hot water tank.
And if I can find one cheap enough I want to add a continuity sensor that can detect the soap content in the wash water for the pipeline.

And someday if possible I would love to have a smoke detector on an Mport.
Pics
Walks in, tells it like it is, walks out , milks a cow
2012-10-19 13.59.55.jpg
2012-10-19 13.58.27.jpg
2012-10-19 13.58.09.jpg
2012-10-19 13.59.08.jpg
SuperUser
Kudos: 7935
Solutions: 233

Re: MFI Installed and working

Take a regular crappy battery powered smoke detector and hook the wires that trigger the siren/horn/speaker into the inputs of the mPort.

Then *carefully* burn a couple of things next to it so you can calibrate it.

Then you can use the input readings on the terminal block that come from the smoke detector to trigger a relay powering a large horn, big red strobe light, etc.

That being said, it's only going to work if it can contact your mFi controller.

I don't think I would let me life depend on that, or my life's work.

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
link to our slack channel on the blog
SuperUser

I had that idea , but that requires work . LOL
I did look up this model
www.aartech.ca/asd100-american-sensors-smoke-detector-12-24v-4-wire-ionization.html
Can take 12/or 24 DC 2 wires back from a built in relay. Sounds real simple to hook to an mport.
For this to work I need to set an alarm to email for when I'm not there (and 4 or 5 other people) but mainly a loud audible sound from the MFI controller PC!! witch is in the house.
And I can daisy chain 4 units on the same line.
Perfect for a barn.
SuperUser

Look what I just found on the same page:

www.aartech.ca/vip100-flair-surface-mount-contact-2-inch-screw-terminals-white.html

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
SuperUser

Also you will notice 3 mports in the photos.
I could easily use 3 or 4 more. That's a lot of tough cable and connectors! And my new toughswitch is plugged FULL already.
I hope Ubnt responds with a mega port Mport model. With a minimum of double the ports.
I would suggest 4 or 6 rj45's and 2 TB's to start.
SuperUser

www.aartech.ca/vip100-flair-surface-mount-contact-2-inch-screw-terminals-white.html

Oops.
dam they look in expensive.
Kudos: 33

???

the switch? its the same switch I saw 30 years ago
wait, I'm wrong: they were mechanical then: now its a reed switch
what's so special about this one?
SuperUser

If you took a marker to one they would look awful similar to one I have here that says mfi on one side.
SuperUser

Looking through the same page I noticed the photo beams. I have a set here I have not used since the wire across the yard to the shed rotted.
I'm going to try them in the barn where the cows are not suppose be at night unless one is loose!
A loose cow can make one heck of a mess in only a few hours. Also A cow running loose has the ability to crap 50% more in 4 hours than normal. All over the place!!
MFI needs a time based schedule for this to work.
SuperUser

the switch? its the same switch I saw 30 years ago
wait, I'm wrong: they were mechanical then: now its a reed switch

what's so special about this one?

It's damn identical to the mFi one, minus the logo Man Tongue

SuperUser

Data Graph Vacuum sensor

This is from last nights milking.
My sensor still runs a tad high. The flat line should be 13.5 , but it likes 13.6 witch is fine. Because the max it will read is 14.5. So it's super sensitive witch is what I want.
All those spikes up and down are when milk units are swapped from cow to cow.
This is pretty much normal and should improve some next week when I instal a larger drive pulley on the 5 horse pump motor. ( will help raise the total system reserve)
What I don't want to see is large spikes UP then back down. Fluctuations above 13.8 13.9 and below 13.1 or more causes problems.
A speck of dust in the regulator will cause this. Or a leaking diaphragm on a controller.

I have a gauge in the dairy on the system , But that does squat for me when I'm in the stable milking.
Currently I have an alarm set to email me when 13.80 is recorded.
I tested it at 13.7 works!!!
What I need is a way to have an alarm for below 13.3 , I milk twice a day so the rest of the time the system is off. And before milking there is a rinse and then the line blows dry. PSI will drop to 10.x and a rinse a wash and another rinse after milking. All will drop to 10.x to blow the line dry.
mfi.vacuum.graph.JPG

Cheers from another dairy farmer........Neat stuff.
Part of my project is to put some type of security around the farm, motion detectors by the hay stacks, etc. I have a hay thief that has come in, taken several flakes out of a big bale, then re-tied the bale........
SuperUser

Cheers from another dairy farmer........Neat stuff.

Part of my project is to put some type of security around the farm, motion detectors by the hay stacks, etc. I have a hay thief that has come in, taken several flakes out of a big bale, then re-tied the bale........

Hay thieves Hun.
I have had a zoneminder camera system here for several years now. Actually 2 systems. 1 in and around the house and 1 in the barn.
1 camera is trained on the fuel tank another on the big door to the hay mow where 7000 small bales are.

When they get a working schedule for time based events in MFI you could use mports/motion sensors and hook a siren up to the TB to go off with motion when you know your not feeding. Also send emails to your cell.

Cameras are a good idea as well. Keep an eye out on the Airvision forum for the next release (AV2) and the pro aircam with IR.
Several Farms in my area are waiting for me to instal the Pro's in hay sheds and machinery/tool sheds/barns.

Having this vacuum sensor is going to save me a few G's the next time things go south with the milking system. Witch just happened 6 weeks ago.
In the end. the regulator controller had a tiny fracture inside. (dried up plastic) and 1 of the two regulators had a leaking diaphragm. At the same time the Vacuum gauge had slowly over time dropped in it's calibration. So the gauge said 13.5 when actually it was closer to 14.5 with a lot of fluctuation.
So far I have had 10 cows off production with mastitis + $400 or more in treatments. And with this type of problem it's the slow milking Big producers that get hit the hardest. Then add up the service bill and parts from delaval.
The kids are getting a bale of straw for Xmas this year . LOL

I hear you on how much money can be lost, and how fast.
Question: Are you saying in this day and age that the software does not have a schedule, so if I connect motion detection events to the email (text message), I'll be getting texts all day long unless I shut off teh system every morning and turn it on every night?
SuperUser

It is in the next version, and is working well in testing.

Is there a projected release date?
SuperUser

It is in the next version, and is working well in testing.

Can't wait for the release!!
Highlighted
SuperUser

Yesterday I pulled a 12 volt relay from a roasted APC UPS.
An Omron rated at 8 amps-220.
Current draw on the coil was around 27 MA. I wired it up to A Terminal block and to the milk tanks agitator. Made a schedule and watched it work over a cold one!
I like how I can pick a time for (ON) in the schedule and then under conditions tell it how many seconds/minutes/hours before shutting off, with out having to make 2 separate schedules.
Now I need a way to set a condition as a timer, if x is above/below/ for y S/M/H send alert.