Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted
Ancient Member
Kudos: 9077
Solutions: 1389

OT: KAB ECOplug, AKA Woods WION

I've wanted to get some mFi kit for a long time but they seemed to be so pre-beta(ish) and my tolerance for that would have just irked me.  Before it reached a maturity level I could tolerate, they shut down development.

That said, I picked up a Woods WION remote controlled power outlet to play with without doing much research beforehand.  It is controlled by an app and is purported to be supported by Amazon Echo (which I have yet to get).  Anyone here try any of the WION line?  Do you know of a good online resource for these in native mode, meaning not hacked and/or ported over to other platforms?

I am curious of how they get their time sync to follow a schedule.  If.when the power fails, when the power comes back, the last state set in the schedule is not resumed and it stays off until the next "on" schedule.  If it gets its time from the app and not from NTP, and the phone with the app is off or away from the local WiFi, that would be a major shortcoming.

Supposedly these can be cloud connected but without knowing what all that entails, I don't trust to enable that feature.

Ancient Member
Kudos: 9077
Solutions: 1389

Re: OT: KAB ECOplug, AKA Woods WION

LLigetfa wrote:

I picked up a Woods WION remote controlled power outlet to play with without doing much research beforehand...

I should have done a little more research.  I read that the app phones home to China and sends my SSID and passphrase in clear text.