Kudos: 2

RFID/Biometic Access Control

Any chance of seeing RFID or Biometric access control accessories for the mFi platform?

thanks Ubnt Banana
Kudos: 15

Re: RFID/Biometic Access Control

How would you see that working with the proposed sensor monitoring software?
Kudos: 13

Any chance of seeing RFID or Biometric access control accessories for the mFi platform?

thanks Ubnt Banana
Many existing access control credential devices are available with a RS232 or RS422 data output, which would allow connection with the Mport-S serial model.

However, I have no idea what the capabilities of the software will be in that regard, there's not much detail available on that. If it has a reasonably well designed (and open) API, there should be options available there to use to develop something for that purpose.
SuperUser
Kudos: 7345
Solutions: 415
Contributions: 1

If the software was able to log each rfid card as who entered where when. and airvision was integrated with MFI or the other way around , A camera could take a snapshot.
Lights could be turned on. Screens powered up. Motion sensors deactivated or activated If the card is needed too leave a room.
Walks in, tells it like it is, walks out , milks a cow

NFC would make more sense. Given that phones are getting NFC capability, they will be the mass market replacement to RFID. NFC cards and sensors would allow for pretty sweet integration. Plenty of them available on alibaba.com as well Man Happy
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1286
Solutions: 208

If there was an easy way to locate persons within a building using UniFi and mFi that'd be excellent:

- show my on the person where (roughly) person x is right now
- have inbound phone calls follow the person from room to room
- adjust heating/ventilation based upon personal preferences and/or the number of persons in a room

Would Bluetooth 4.0 and a small wearable bluetooth badge do the trick? I suppose WiFi AP triangulation won't work sufficiently within a building. NFC is too short range for this.

Also: There should be a configuration option to employ the mPort as a wirless-to-wire bridge within a UniFi network, next to delivering sensor data over wirless.
SuperUser
Kudos: 7935
Solutions: 233

5m rfid card in the wallet. Already plan on testing some stuff once mFi gets more detailed scripting.

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
link to our slack channel on the blog
Established Member
Kudos: 305
Solutions: 1

Yup rfid tag would be pretty kewl but
scary too though better put on my tinfoild hat
big brother is watching