Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1131
Solutions: 13

Re: is MFI dead?

Hi All -- I know an update is due from my side. Here is what I can say:

1. Ubiquiti does have a  long-term IOT commitment on-going

2. mFi is not part of that long-term strategy

3. We will continue to make mFi hardware, but SW will be placed on hold indefinitely

I know a lot of you will be justifiably upset so I will provide some additional transparency:

mFi development started in 2009 ahead of the "IOT" movement. The original goal was to provide a "canvas" to the market which allowed them to connect together through Internet Protocol any sensor, power outlet, switch, or serial port and create relationships between them from a centralized controller. This was going to be the encore to UniFi's breakout success.

Unfortunately, the SW team I recruited to deliver the vision made some horrendous design choices and generally didn't know what they were doing. Even though early deliverables were really disappointing, I was afraid to lose time to market and kept on "doubling down" with the same team. In retrospect, I should have made the decision to replace the team and start over before launch, but I didn’t. And once we launched and marketed the platform, we were stuck in persistent maintenance/support mode without really solving the fundamental issues.

From the java back-end selection to poor coding, poor installation UX, no remote connectivity, and hardware shortcomings, it has not been something we can easily fix. Our conclusion was we had to start fresh to deliver a product that can be a winner in the market. I know that might not be a consolation for many of you, but we will continue to produce and support mFi hardware.

Robert

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 62
Solutions: 10

i hope not

/Flemming

Emerging Member
Kudos: 16

It is still under the forums link:

http://community.ubnt.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/Forums

More of a concern is the lack of firmware & software updates to allow for Java 8 and the newer version of MongoDB.

It seems as though we have been put on the back burner or we lost our programmers to other projects.

I think MFI is an awesome tool that has the flexibility to allow us to do things that are not easily done with other hardware.

Even if it may be a dead product from their viewpoint, I hope they dont abandon us completely

SuperUser
Kudos: 7185
Solutions: 414
Contributions: 1

It's not dead.

Robert said they will be revamping the whole line.  When has not been announced.

Allan

Walks in, tells it like it is, walks out , milks a cow
Kudos: 5

Today it seems be dead.Nonod

Kudos: 24

I have 4 dead mPower Pro's...so it feels dead.  Icon Wink

Kudos: 4
Solutions: 1

One can hope that its not dead, I really like the Outlets which are much nicer then WeMo's.  Though it would be nice if they had same remote functionality as the WeMo.

Would like to see Ubiquiti comment on this product and if its EOL or will continue to be developed.

Deleted Account

Im glad we did not invest more into this since there seems to be a lack of interest from the ubnt side. 

I think its a great product and I like the idea but I would not advice for purchase before any updates on how this will continue. Nono

At the end of the day its a question for the upper management if they want to keep us using their product or go somewhere else.

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10334
Solutions: 1587

Alan87i wrote:

It's not dead.

Robert said they will be revamping the whole line.  When has not been announced.

Allan

Iagree

where to read about it ?

Kudos: 2455
Solutions: 38

mFi can't be dead, I have way too much of it, blasphemy!  Willy Nilly

mFI has huge possibilities, I look forward to the upcoming revamp.  Cheers2

If it ain't broke, fix it anyway
To avoid the Gates of Hell, I use Linux
Professional Electron Wrangler

It is very nice to hear and believe that it will.

Kudos: 1
Solutions: 1

I certianly hope not. I current have 3 mPower Pros and was looking to expand out more. I am hoping they make the current mPort larger so that I can legitimately use it with the current sensors to monitor circuit power in my house.

And I'll be happy when they finally merge unifi and mfi into a single controller...

for a long time does not support Java 8.

Kudos: 291
Solutions: 6

azuolai wrote:

for a long time does not support Java 8.

In defense of Ubiquiti, Java updates break so many things that its not uncommon to find products that don't support Java 8. I have a crate of IPKVMs that are useless because they require an older version of Java. I just racked $36,000 worth of brand new Dell servers two months ago, and the BMC console required me to turn off every security feature in Java, and run an older version to get it to work. PowerSchool, the software that runs most schools in the United States, had to create an executable that was bundled with an older version of Java, because so many schools couldn't get it to work.

I went to college for Java programming, but at this point I can't recommend that anyone use it in production.

I truly hope UBNT don't kill mFi. The hardware and their ambition with the platform are great. But the software  is shockingly bad. It's too complex and you need really high skills to get the solution running. 

But I have hope. The UniFi software was dreadful for a while and now it's pretty good. They even have some hardware to run it on! If UBNT could focus the same effort on mFi I'm sure they could get it to the same level.

Hoping...

Emerging Member
Kudos: 1

[ Edited ]

I hope not as well!  

Has anyone had any issue running their mFi on a VLAN other than their management VLAN?

I posted this awhile ago, not a lot of response from anyone.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/mFi/only-noticable-on-mFi-VLAN/m-p/1335878#U1335878

Thanks,!

Established Member
Kudos: 385
Solutions: 40

Neil12345 wrote:

I truly hope UBNT don't kill mFi. The hardware and their ambition with the platform are great. But the software  is shockingly bad. It's too complex and you need really high skills to get the solution running. 

But I have hope. The UniFi software was dreadful for a while and now it's pretty good. They even have some hardware to run it on! If UBNT could focus the same effort on mFi I'm sure they could get it to the same level.

Hoping...

Go to the Ubiquiti Home Page (ubnt.com) and click on 'Enterprise' (https://www.ubnt.com/enterprise/).

This should give you hope. 

It shows both mFi and Video combined within the uniFi platform.  I believe that this may well be the next major revision to UniFi.

At least, I hope so.

Kudos: 7

All of us are hoping that mFi project isn't dead, but truth is:

mfi cloud: disabled
Windows sw: poor
Linux sw: moderate
Android sw: none
iOS sw: poor
mfi support: very poor / none

so mFi project is at least partially abandoned at the moment. We all can only hope it will be better someday (couple of months, year, two?)

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10334
Solutions: 1587

CowboyJed wrote:

Go to the Ubiquiti Home Page (ubnt.com) and click on 'Enterprise' (https://www.ubnt.com/enterprise/).

This should give you hope. 

It shows both mFi and Video combined within the uniFi platform.  I believe that this may well be the next major revision to UniFi.

At least, I hope so.

One must temper their imagination that might be fueled by a simple image of vaporware.  It could simply mean that one can launch from a central web page, separate consoles and does not assure full integration of the platforms.

Ubiquiti marketing is notorious for fueling the imagination.  Take the UVC Micro for instance... It sports a speaker and an SD card slot.  Suddenly folks expect to use the speaker like an intercom and imagine all sorts of functionality for the SD card.  In reality, the speaker beeps at you and the SD card is used for diags and flash recovery.