Kudos: 32
Solutions: 7

mFi-CS Custom Sensor Issues

I purchaced 2 mFi-CS units to test how much electricity I was using in different places. I bought a bunch of mPower 1 ports to hook up to all of my 15amp 120 breakers to log how much each one of those uses, haven't actually had time to hook them up yet, but I already have mPowers on certain devices to cut power to them remotely and the wattage logs are great on those. I've never use the Current Sensors before so I just got 2 for now.

I started by hooking them to both of my 120v wires that feed my main breaker box . Found our quickly, they read amps, not watts. This was still helpful at the time though becuase I wrote down the total amps on each rail and moved them 2 by 2 down the line to see what each breaker was using in amps. This did exactly what I wanted as I was able to track down what was the power hog at that moment, usefull information.

At this point, what I really want to do with them is keep them on my 120 wires that feed my breaker box to log the total for at least 1 month in kW/hrs. I found a custom sensor on this fourm and also a script that goes in the mPort to retain the settings after a power loss. I used WinSCP and Putty to create the script and run the cmds. I installed the custom sensors to convert amps to watts for the energy tab. Everything was working until we had a power outage.

Now the energy page will show watts from last month, but not this one. It also shows a total which does not add up to Aug and Sept. Aug shows some, but Sept says 0, and total is more than Aug. It also shows the current watts being used. I only have retention set to 4 weeks at this point but will probably move it to more once I get this figured out.

I have tried recreating the script and running the cmds in the mPort. I have tried deleting the sensors and recreating them. Since the total is more than Aug, it almost has to be logging it for Sept, just not pushing it to the Sept spot on the Controller. I do not want to put a battery backup on it as I had one on my rack that I just pulled out as I found it to be pulling alot more energy than it was putting out, which defets the purpose of this whole project.

The other issue beside power outages that is making this worse, is that once in a while I notice that the mPort drops its lan port. A reboot will fix this. The mPort is pretty much in the breaker box, so that might be the issue. Thinking about either running shielded cable to mPort and mFi-CS's and moving the mPort to the Rack. I could also power it with a POE instead of the ToughSwitch but would rather power it with TS since I have 4 and it is cleaner, plus I can remotely reboot without taking up another port on a mPower.

Another thing I just noticed is on the Data tab, if I switch it to Amp-Hours (just realized I could do that), it seems that on a reboot it drops down to 500 and climbs from there until another reboot which then again drops to 500.

How can I get the mFi-CS to calculate the correct wattage usage again? How can I get it to continue to show me the correct wattage usage after a power outage or reboot?

Highlighted
Kudos: 32
Solutions: 7

Re: mFi-CS Custom Sensor Issues

Finally got it to show again, by deleting sensors and mport and readding/setting up everything for them. Still would like a solution for power outages/reboots for retaining data.

Re: mFi-CS Custom Sensor Issues

Hi Shane,

I'm desperately trying to get my mFi-CS configured properly to estimate the power bill on two 120VAC circuits. I've got the mPort running and can see the data from the two CSs but I don't know the procedure to get the ENERGY tab to display properly. By looking at your other posts it seems like you've cracked that nut. I'm unable to find any concise docs on the subject. And the info that I have found is so pieced-together, and mostly bug-ridden, that it's basically unusable. A lot of subjects are written by people who assume that you know how to do what they are vaguely explaining.

Any detailed information, that you'd be willing to share, would be greatly appreciated.

-Rob

ubnt@focusedinternet.com