Kudos: 1

mFi WiFi?

Still doing our own testing but originally our interest in the mFi was due to items being wireless. What if anything is wireless for mFi devices?

We cant seem to keep the mFi (mPorts & sensors) connected as every day they seem to be inactive or not found. Rebooting takes a couple hours for the mports to be "active" again. It doesn't like any browser we use.

Little discouraged with this new product...it sounded and looked cool but maybe the marketing is bigger than the product?

Icon Question
Veteran Member
Kudos: 5292
Solutions: 78

Re: mFi WiFi?

I've been using mPorts since before they came out. Have had very few issues with them even in beta.
I have mPorts that have been running for weeks without issue. All wireless.
Can you describe your setup a little bit more?
What browser? Access point types? Signal strength at the mPorts? What are you using them for (input/output)? When they drop off the controller can you access the device by web browser?

Thanks for the reply mhoppes.
For testing purposes we have a temp sensor and wall motion sensor connected to an mPort. We have a serial mPort connected to the LAN put currently no devices connected.
Initially I started using Chrome, but that didn't work at all. IE did the same and right now Mozilla seems to work without issues.
As far as wireless goes, everything we have is connected via an ethernet cable (ie sensors, mports, door-contacts) nothing is "wireless", so im confused as to what is wireless.
Apparently were not as smart of "Guyz" as we thought as everything looked and sounded simple...
We have the devices plugged into our LAN. I can see where you could have the mPorts connected to an AP which would make it wireless.
I'm even more confused now me thinks....
Kudos: 150
Solutions: 1

According to the spec sheet, the following are 802.11b/g/n:
mPort
mPort Serial
mPower
mPower Pro
Veteran Member

We are making progress. So nothing in your network is connected wirelessly then. The mPorts are hard wired in to your switches.
What version of software is on the server and the mPorts?

Correct, all devices are plugged in via patch cables to switch.
Server? I'm using my desktop PC (two of us actually). Software version 1.0.8, we continually have to Uninstall and install the software to get things working.
mPort software version? I will need to see if I can log into things to verify that.
SuperUser
Kudos: 7935
Solutions: 233

I would highly recommend you install the software on a linux box if you are comfortable with that.

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
link to our slack channel on the blog
Veteran Member

Make sure the devices are updated (don't say update next to them in tr software).
But to me this sounds like some sort of a network problem. Not an mFi issue.
When the problem happens can you ping the devices?

Make sure the devices are updated (don't say update next to them in tr software).

But to me this sounds like some sort of a network problem. Not an mFi issue.

When the problem happens can you ping the devices?

Yes, pings are good.
Veteran Member

But you can or can't access the web interface?

Okay, I'm getting there!
The mPort device (controller?) has its own IP address .116 which I configured through a browser connection (via laptop) separate from the LAN. Although the "Save/Change" button changes the IP address to .122:9080 the mPort device shows up on the LAN as .116.
When I use the mPort System software (does a search) it defaults to a .122:9443/manage address which yes, it finds the mPort and everything is working. I'm lost as to why it goes to that address/port?...but it works so maybe I don't need to know why/how...?
I've set up the plugged in sensors and created some events & notifications which is pretty cool. I'm getting the hang of it! Thanks for you input & patience!
NOW, regarding the wireless portion...I'm still lost. Yes, when I browser directly into the mPort (.116 addy) I can see the configuration tab (which confusing to me still shows the .122:9080) showing security options & ssid naming as well as the standard ubnt tools. But what & why? Does this enable the mPort to act as an AP? If so, I cant find the mPort as an accessible AP though my wifi devices.
I have security disabled in the wireless settings so should I be able to connect it to ? ? ?
The mPort is still connected via Ethernet cable to our LAN, should I be able to unplug the Ethernet cable and still connect to it wireless?
In the tools or browser log in I see no where to upgrade firmware for the mPort.
Thanks so much for taking the time to educated me, I wanted to make today the day I figure-out and understand mFi and I feel I'm getting closer.
Rob
Veteran Member

OK... I think we may have just figured out your problem.... let me try to take this one step at a time...

Okay, I'm getting there!

The mPort device (controller?) has its own IP address .116 which I configured through a browser connection (via laptop) separate from the LAN. Although the "Save/Change" button changes the IP address to .122:9080 the mPort device shows up on the LAN as .116.

You are looking at that screen wrong. You are suppose to enter the IP address of the controller (in this case, your laptop). This is NOT the IP address for the mPort (that can only be set via DHCP right now). Again... the number you enter on the mPort is the CONTROLLER mPort... it is NOT the IP of the mPort.

When I use the mPort System software (does a search) it defaults to a .122:9443/manage address which yes, it finds the mPort and everything is working. I'm lost as to why it goes to that address/port?...but it works so maybe I don't need to know why/how...?

See above, you are confusing setting the IP address OF the mPort vs setting the IP ON the mPort for the controller.

NOW, regarding the wireless portion...I'm still lost. Yes, when I browser directly into the mPort (.116 addy) I can see the configuration tab (which confusing to me still shows the .122:9080) showing security options & ssid naming as well as the standard ubnt tools. But what & why? Does this enable the mPort to act as an AP? If so, I cant find the mPort as an accessible AP though my wifi devices.

No the mPort does not function as an AP... rather you connect it to your AP.

The mPort is still connected via Ethernet cable to our LAN, should I be able to unplug the Ethernet cable and still connect to it wireless?

Yes, once you get the wireless configured, then you can unplug the Ethernet cable.

So to recap....

Your laptop/computer (whatever you are using as the server) needs to have a static IP address.

The mPort will get its IP address via DHCP (you can not set the IP address of the mPorts). However, you will put the IP of your server into the server field of the mPort web interface (or you can just adopt it via the server).

I think your problem isn't so much the mPorts/mFi as much as it might just be your understanding of networking. Do you have anyone else you could bounce your setup off of?

Okay! So only 1 controller per LAN?
SuperUser
Kudos: 7935
Solutions: 233

Okay! So only 1 controller per LAN?

Yes. Icon Biggrin

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
link to our slack channel on the blog

Yes. Icon Biggrin

Ding Ding Ding! Tell him what he won Johnny!

Icon Mrgreen

Now we're on the same page!
Highlighted
SuperUser
Kudos: 6140
Solutions: 387

The mPort will get its IP address via DHCP (you can not set the IP address of the mPorts).

I can if I reserve them an address in my DHCP server

Icon Wink
/ducks
When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP