Kudos: 24
Solutions: 1

mFi in wall switch and 3 way switches?

Has anyone run into installing an mFi in wall switch to work with other 3 way switches? Not sure if this is possible or how to even wire it. Maybe a relay somewhere?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

SuperUser
Kudos: 7335
Solutions: 415
Contributions: 1

Re: mFi in wall switch and 3 way switches?

I think the devs are working on a built in software feature for this. But I assume it would require an mfi switch at both ends.

Thought about how to do it with rules and had a brain cramp. Think it will be cumbersome.

Walks in, tells it like it is, walks out , milks a cow
SuperUser
Kudos: 3934
Solutions: 361

@alan87i wrote:

I think the devs are working on a built in software feature for this. But I assume it would require an mfi switch at both ends.

Thought about how to do it with rules and had a brain cramp. Think it will be cumbersome.

I ran into the same problem in my house.  Hoping for a fix.  Have extra switches I can't use until I either isolate one switch or have some sort of solution for the 3-way.

Tony Pierro
CTO - Wireless Internet Services, Inc.
SuperUser
Kudos: 7335
Solutions: 415
Contributions: 1

@WisTech wrote:

@alan87i wrote:

I ran into the same problem in my house.  Hoping for a fix.  Have extra switches I can't use until I either isolate one switch or have some sort of solution for the 3-way.

Calling @UBNT-Randy 

Walks in, tells it like it is, walks out , milks a cow
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 375
Solutions: 31
Contributions: 6

We added support for syncing the dimmers over the air, and might include it in the beta software we plan to release very soon.  But even then we might keep it as a 'hidden' feature for power users since it's going to need a bit of testing time before it can be widely released.

Kudos: 2481
Solutions: 38

I've got 2 dimmers controlling one set of lights.

Takes 4 rules:

Switch A on = turn on Switch B

Switch A off = turn off Switch B

Switch B on = turn on Switch A

Switch B off = turn off Switch A

All any condition, edge triggered.  Being able to mirror switches would it even better!

If it ain't broke, fix it anyway
To avoid the Gates of Hell, I use Linux
Professional Electron Wrangler
SuperUser
Kudos: 3934
Solutions: 361

@UBNT-Randy wrote:

We added support for syncing the dimmers over the air, and might include it in the beta software we plan to release very soon.  But even then we might keep it as a 'hidden' feature for power users since it's going to need a bit of testing time before it can be widely released.

Well Randy, you know I'm always good for testing.  Looking forward to more info.

Tony Pierro
CTO - Wireless Internet Services, Inc.

Can the dimmer control lights and fan?

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 375
Solutions: 31
Contributions: 6

I've heard that variable speed fans often have multi-speed motors that are only designed to run at certain speeds, and can not be used with light dimmers.  So, I would not use our dimmer (or any light dimmer) with a fan unless someone really knows what they are doing.

@Chazjewell wrote:

Can the dimmer control lights and fan?

Thanks randy. I'm building a house and want to do a full Ubiquiti smart home, Wifi, video etc. how can I go about making sure I get the right products.
Established Member
Kudos: 817
Solutions: 59

[ Edited ]

@Chazjewell wrote:
Thanks randy. I'm building a house and want to do a full Ubiquiti smart home, Wifi, video etc. how can I go about making sure I get the right products.

Just like this.  Just ask individual questions (preferrably in their own posts if they're about very different products) and users and/or Ubiquiti engineers will get back to you with answers.

EDIT: Also, each section has a FAQ.  For example, here is UniFi's: http://community.ubnt.com/t5/tkb/v2/page/blog-id/UniFi_FAQs@tkb

mFi FAQ: http://community.ubnt.com/t5/mFi/mFi-FAQ/m-p/349459#U349459

mFi Switch FAQ:  http://community.ubnt.com/t5/mFi/mFi-Switch-FAQ/m-p/986007#U986007