mFi mPort Serial with mFi-THS sensors

Hello,

at first I have to say I know these platform is not further developed, but still i think it has lot of potencial. Till now I used only mPower devices. Now I need monitor in my project few temperature/humidity sensors (mFi-THS). The count of sensors will be more than 5. Is there any way how to monitor 5 or more temperature sensors with only one mPort Serial without buing for each two sets of sensor extra mPort (not Serial, the one with 2x mFi RJ45)???

I see mPort Serial has some serial interface (serial DB9) to connect maybe a switch, witch could be used for these temperature sensors? Is there any documentation which swith and how to configure all these together?

Thank you for any advice

Re: mFi mPort Serial with mFi-THS sensors

Is there anoyone who use mPort Serial or everybody use only mPort?

Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

the mport serial is just a serial interface that you would use to connect to devices that have a serial interface. I honestly never used one so I cannot say what kind of automation you could accomplish with one but what you want is a regular mport. You get three inputs per mport. So what you describe I would say that means you would need two mport.

Now this may sound silly, but the temp sensor while it has humitidy, you can only monitor temp or humidity without a hack. Per port you will only be able to read temp or humity but you can split the cable coming form the sensor and feed the temp into one port and humidity into the other. That means 1 mport would have 2 of the three ports consumed.

Highlighted

Yeah, you're probably right. I am a little disappointed that I can only connect one sensor (mFi-THS) to one mPort device that will  monitor both temperature and humidity at the same time (at 2xRJ45). I wonder who has proposed such a thing at the beginning of the developement mFi platform. I have always thought mPort should be something like the brain of the whole mFi network, not just one component to connect one sensor. Strange design, brrr.

Of course, I have to fix just my above-mentioned commentary. In theory, up to three sensors (2x RJ45 + 1x terminal block with the same pins as RJ45) can be connected to one mPort. However, each sensor can get only one specific value, such as temperature, humidity, current, and so on.

Now something about mPort-Serial. My idea was to connect the switch using the console port DB9 of mPort-Serial (more expensive switches have such interface) and then connect several mFi-THS via RJ45 to the switch ports and get the values ​​from all of these sensors. So does this mean that mPort-Serial is not intended for this purpose?

And if above scenario is not possible, could be possible connect at least one mFi-THS sensor (for example just for temperature value) or some diy temperature sensor on the mPort-Serial serial console interface? I saw articles about creating own simple temperature sensor and connect to the computer via the serial port (db9). I mean something like this on below link. There is also shown how to connect in parallel more temperature sensors and get values from all of them via serial connection.

https://martybugs.net/electronics/tempsensor/hardware.cgi

https://martybugs.net/electronics/tempsensor/multiple.cgi

Last question. mPort-Serial has two serial console ports, one is DB9 and the second is terminal block. Is it possible to connect two serial interfaces to mPort-Serial at the same time? I ask because in the mFi controller I see only one row of serial device in options. Look at attached picture, please.

Thank you for your explanation and advices

mport-serial.PNG