SuperUser
Kudos: 7935
Solutions: 233

Re: mFi uFind myKitty

I've done my own rather extensive home automation system and chose Z-Wave. Lack of adoption has meant a small market and, unfortunately, expensive products. But the technology, 900MHz, mesh routing, two way communication and encryption made it the best choice at the time.

Can anyone comment on the security aspects of mFi? Is the communication authenticated or encrypted or can I go and borrow Matt's car tonight?

It communications layer1/2 either hard wired or wireless w/ WPA2-AES encryption. Between the mports and the controller, it uses a key exchange just like unifi.

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
link to our slack channel on the blog
Veteran Member
Kudos: 5292
Solutions: 78

Honestly. I'd be more worried about you opening the stock garage door with an RF jam before I'd worry about the mFi.
Kudos: 68

Now what you need is a vent fan that comes on when the outdoor temperature is closer to the desired indoor temperature than the current indoor temperature.. i always thought that would be a really good energy saving device.. it seems to stupid when you come home and the house is hot as balls inside, and you run the a/c just to cool it down to the "nice" outdoor temperature.

This is an option in some systems - it's the "fresh air vent" option that will pull in cool outside air instead of running the A/C.

Like Matt I too have a Whole House Fan - right now, when the outside temp drops below the upstairs temperature, a red light starts flashing on all my thermostats to tell me to turn off the A/C and use the whole house fan instead. Once we open a couple windows, I can press a button on my phone, security panel, or wall switch itself and it'll go into Auto mode - cool down the house on high speed, then kick down to low speed and cycle on/off a few times during the night - then as soon as the outside temperature starts to rise again, it'll turn off the fan automatically. Helps bring my ~$750 electric bills down closer to ~$500 in july/august.
SuperUser

helps bring my ~$750 electric bills down closer to ~$500 in july/august.

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmnnnnnnnnn

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
Kudos: 150
Solutions: 1

Helps bring my ~$750 electric bills down closer to ~$500 in july/august.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! What part of the world are you in, U.S.? How large is this house?
Veteran Member

Eeeeek. My bill is around $80/month on a bad month!
Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
Ancient Member
Kudos: 5969
Solutions: 128

I heard the Wesoakem (pronounced We-Soak-Them) Electric company loves to be a deregulated monopoly.
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"
Well engineered projects are indistinguishable from crazy ideas.

Speed, distance, reliability, cost...Pick three.
...World's First Ubiquiti AirMax WISP....
Kudos: 150
Solutions: 1

Eeeeek. My bill is around $80/month on a bad month!

You're just showing off. Also, some of us don't have gas appliances and oil furnaces. What's your total energy cost? Don't tell me, I might cry.
Established Member
Kudos: 191

Yeah, seriously... how big is the house, what temperature do you keep it at, and how much per KHW are you paying? I'll guess - 3500 square feet meat locker...

Even here in the desert our bill peaks at about $200 per month... 'course that's 100% electric for about 1100 square feet of 1928 house with a few energy efficiency improvements but it could certainly use more...
Today is an average day: Worse than yesterday, but better than tomorrow.
Veteran Member

You're just showing off. Also, some of us don't have gas appliances and oil furnaces. What's your total energy cost? Don't tell me, I might cry.

Hmmm. About $100/month Man Happy
Gas stove. Wood forced air furnace Man Happy
Ancient Member
Kudos: 5969
Solutions: 128

My farm house electric was never more than $160 per month and it was total electric. Real estate lady talked me out of using butane - she said if I ever wanted to sell it, a soccer mom would see the butane tank and run.
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"
Well engineered projects are indistinguishable from crazy ideas.

Speed, distance, reliability, cost...Pick three.
...World's First Ubiquiti AirMax WISP....
farm_1.jpg
farm_2.jpg
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1906
Solutions: 29

Hahahaha. My mother in law opened a kitchen cabinet last year to have a very surprised raccoon staring at her.
She ended up breaking an end table, two standing lamps, and a wooden broom before leaving the house in defeat.

That's nothing.
I'm poor so I don't get to live in/rent the greatest houses. One of the places I lived had a large enough hole that critters were getting in near the roof, somewhere.
One of these animals made its way into the drop ceiling of the kitchen and then opened a hole in the ceiling tiles so it could get into the house. First it was a bird. It managed to get into the house and drive my cat crazy one day while I was at work. The house was trashed when I got home. It took me a whole day catch that thing. I had to rig up a box and wait for it to get in it and then I released it outside.
I called my landlord who didn't do anything about it.
A few days later I came home to hear my cat howling inside. I went in and she had cornered a squirrel in the far corner of the kitchen. The squirrel ate all my bread.
The squirrel found its way above the back door so I went outside and around the house and opened the back door so it could get out. I called my landlord while I was outside and told him what was going on. He didn't want to come over to get the squirrel out and told me to do it myself.
I didn't know if the squirrel got out or not but I assumed it had since I hadn't heard anything of it in a while and the back door had been open for a while so I went and closed the back door.
About 2 hours later I heard the squirrel in the kitchen. It took me another half hour to get it out the back door.
The house was trashed again from my cat chasing that squirrel all over the house while I was at work.
I don't live in that place any longer. I live in a garage now.
Not getting the answers you wanted? Check out this link --> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html -- I need a thumbs down button!
Established Member
Kudos: 191

The squirrel was already in the kitchen... you were half-way there. Just killit and grillit (at least that's probably what some of my dobro-plucking squirrel eater relatives would've done).

I like to tell people about the time my wife and I rented an apartment that came with free pets... 'course they'd all scurry away when you switched the light on.
Today is an average day: Worse than yesterday, but better than tomorrow.
SuperUser
Kudos: 6138
Solutions: 387

In my army days, the good officers didn't tell you how to do things, they just told you what they wanted for the end result.

ahh, "commanders intent". That's because the military teaches leadership instead of management Out
When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP
SuperUser

ahh, "commanders intent". That's because the military teaches leadership instead of management Out

Exactly Man Wink hooah

SuperUser
Kudos: 7345
Solutions: 415
Contributions: 1

That's the way I like to roll. If you can teach some one how to teach them selves you have it made!
Walks in, tells it like it is, walks out , milks a cow