mPower Plugged into UPS, State Safety Inspector says this is a RPT violation.

Hello, Our ISP installed an mPower plugged into an APC Uninterruptable Power Supply. The State Safety and Health Inspector says this is not allowed because both the mPower and the UPS count as “Relocatable Power Taps” according to the UL you cannot have relocatable power taps connected in series (daisy chained) to other relocatable power taps. Our ISP said it can’t change because there is no such thing as an mPower that includes a battery backup and they need this to manage and monitor our unifi WiFi and network deployment. The Safety Inspector said then that the only way around this was for me to rip everything out and find a different solution (either use the mPower straight to the wall outlet and have no UPS or battery backup functionality OR plug all the devices into the UPS directly and lose all of the management and monitoring functionality) UNLESS I could contact the manufacturer and ask to be provided official documentation that this is an acceptable and intended use scenario. Can anyone me? Thanks

Re: mPower Plugged into UPS, State Safety Inspector says this is a RPT violation.

Bump? No one? Support says they don't cover this product and recommended me to the forums. In two days we have to have a report to the State Safety Inspector Which means I will have to choose between the UPS or the mPower Pro... if I don't have an answer by then I'll just have to choose one and start unplugging all of our ISP's equipment on my own in order to be compliant and avoid fines.
Highlighted
Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

Re: mPower Plugged into UPS, State Safety Inspector says this is a RPT violation.

Sheldon,

I know your pain but there isn't going to be a way around this, this isn't a UBNT issue but an issue with regulatory. The rule you're dealing with is the same rule that keeps you from plugging a power strip into a power strip so that you don't overload a circuit. Inspectors see a UPS as a fancy powerstrip. I remember fighting this 10 years ago and gave up where Fire inspections made me pull PDUs from UPSs which were setup not to overload the UPS because that is dumb but to keep the wiring neat / tidy and the rack modular.

UBNT no longer supports MFI / mpower, there never was a battery backup option that I know of so there won't be a way to make this work. Beyond that, APC as other UPS vendors sell network connected battery backup units that offer a lot of the same features, outlet switching, current monitoring, battery condition monitoring over network. The issue is aggrigating that data into a centralized monitor be in something built into a product like solarwinds or Zabbix / grafana with SNMP, this is a more build it yourself where mFi was more cookie cutter.

Good luck.