Highlighted
Kudos: 1

mPower Pro loses network connectivity

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any insight into an issue I've dealt with regarding a few mPower Pros losing connectivity.  I have 70+ of these deployed in my environment, and I've run into an issue where the mPower Pro completely loses any network connectivity.  For troubleshooting steps, I have factory reset it dozens of times (hold down reset, amber light flashes, until amber is solid).  I have also held down the reset button longer (40-60 seconds), not sure what that does though.  What ends up happening is, the LED will flash like normal, then stay solid amber.  The NIC connecting to either a switch or a PC will be lit up, but it won't communicate at all.  If I connect the mPower Pro to a DHCP enabled network, it will get an IP, but you can't ping it or access via SSH/webui GUI.  If I put it on a 192.168.1.0/24 network without DHCP, you can never ping the failover address 192.168.1.20.

I have 4 of these devices in my possession that are experiencing this.  Often times, if I connect it to a switch, it will be constantly incrementing input/CRC errors.  Sometimes it will auto-negotiate to 10mbps/full (should be 100mbps/full).

Is there anything I can do to get these working as it stands?  I feel like since the switch recognizes the MAC of the mPower Pro, it could be something within the internal Linux busybox, and not necesarily hardware related.  If I were to take it apart, is there anything on the circuit board I could hook into to see what the server is doing?

I have RMA'd a few of these in the past, and wondering if there is anything I can do to mitigate this myself.  I appreciate any insight on this.

Ken

Emerging Member
Kudos: 10
Solutions: 1

Re: mPower Pro loses network connectivity

I don't believe you can do something except RMAing.

From my understanding the busybox cannot break. It is read-only.

One thing you could actually try is to connect your mPower Pro via Wifi. If waranty is over (?) you can maybe keep it usable for a few more years.

Hello mweb, thank you for the reply!  I thought about trying to configure it via WIFI but it was my understanding you need to use its ethernet connection to setup the WIFI.  Is there a way to set it up without connecting to ethernet first?

Emerging Member

Good point.

According to documentation

Wi‑Fi The mPower PRO can connect to a wireless network once Wi-Fi settings have been configured using the Ethernet connection. For instructions, refer to the Accessing the Configuration Portal section.

But ... after reset, does the PRO open a Wifi AP just like the smaller mPower do?

If yes, you might be able to connect to web interface or SSH and configure the WiFi.

I don't believe there is a WIFI ssid created upon resetting the mPower.  Sounds like I don't have any options.  Thank you for your assistance though, mweb.

All of my mfi gear has completely stopped connecting to wifi whatsoever, including a new mpower switch recently bought from amazon that had to be returned.

Once in awhile the web UI will come up on them, but it is dog slow and almost never comes up.

Unfortunately this entire product line seems to have these sporadic networking issues now.

Glad I'm not the only one having issues.  Unfortunately there is absolutely no support on these devices, nor any suggestions.  Just RMA if you can, but in my case I'm sure they are way past that point.

Emerging Member

@shanewarner

In the seldom case the device comes up (you can access web UI) ... would it be possible that you connect via SSH and post the content of "/var/log/messages" here?